• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Restaurant el Pundito in Hontanas

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 Sarria to Santiago de Compostela.
2015 St Jean P de P to Burgos.
2016 Burgos to Ponferrada
2017 Ponferrada to Sarria & Santiago to Finisterre & Muxia.
Plan to overnight here, early June, & wondering if anyone stayed here recently or found alternative accommodation in Hontanas?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We stayed at Santa Brigida and the showers were amazing. They guy running the place was so nice and we did dinner there too. We were the only ones to include the dinner which was lots of good food. Across the street was the municipal and others we knew stayed there without complaint.

San Bol is where I plan to stay next time. It's in the middle of nowhere, just before Hontanas. From Brierly: " Basic hostel, new shower and w.c.!. No kitchen but communal meal. 12 beds. Delightful location by frove of poplar trees offering shade by the river. The water from the well are said to have healing properties and curing healing feet."

And for the following night, I would not miss Ermita St-Nicolas (13th C.) . No power in the Ermita, kitchen and bathrooms are in a separate building in the back. It's like a miniature paradero in terms of the history. Run by an Italian Confraternity, a beautiful large wooden table takes up half of the main floor, at the far end in an altar. Bunks are to the right of the entrace and up lovely wooden stairs. Also only 12 beds.

As you can tell, I am breaking up the 'traditional' etapas.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
San Bol....a quiet place. We stopped and had lunch under the trees and then soaked our feet in the very very cold healing water. Chatted with a fellow pilgrim and then moved. If you don't stay the night, it is worth the short walk off the main way to visit.

And for the following night, I would not miss Ermita St-Nicolas (13th C.) . Bunks are to the right of the entrace and up lovely wooden stairs. Also only 12 beds.

Bunks for the pilgrims are on the ground floor, to the right as you walk in. The mezzanine is for the hospitaleros. The communal meal is good and far too much!

Plan to overnight here, early June, & wondering if anyone stayed here recently or found alternative accommodation in Hontanas?
I stayed at El Puntido in 2014, it is very popular and has a great bar and restaurant; they do have some private rooms. There are several other similar private accommodations there but I can't name any of them. San Anton is a albergue with 12 beds, serving a communal meal about 7 km beyond Hontanas.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would start by saying that San Bol is a magic place, very isolated - there IS a kitchen in fact with a monster gas stove. The owner of Santa Brigida or a hospitalero comes and cooks for you. That would be my first choice.
Santa Brigida is also fab and I have spent a great night including dinner at el Pundito as well.
The Municipal albergue has mixed reviews and would not be top of my list.
Then , some dedicated forum members are reviving the quaint albergue just a few kilometers further on at the ruins of Saint Anton - this may be the best experience of all?

I would start by saying that San Bol is a magic place, very isolated - there IS a kitchen in fact with a monster gas stove. The owner of Santa Brigida or a hospitalero comes and cooks for you. That would be my first choice.
Santa Brigida is also fab and I have spent a great night including dinner at el Pundito as well.
The Municipal albergue has mixed reviews and would not be top of my list.
Then , some dedicated forum members are reviving the quaint albergue just a few kilometers further on at the ruins of Saint Anton - this may be the best experience of all?
Glad you mentionted that Renshaw, it's the reason I suggested San Anton in my post. I'm going to be a hospitalero there for the first half of July.

We stayed in El Puntido last year. It was fine - no complaints at all. The food was good, but it wasn't a communal pilgrim meal (individual restaurant tables).
We walked with some people who stayed in Santa Brigida and they really loved it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed at El Puntido in 2014, it is very popular and has a great bar and restaurant; they do have some private rooms. There are several other similar private accommodations there but I can't name any of them. San Anton is a albergue with 12 beds, serving a communal meal about 7 km beyond Hontanas.
Thanks, I've made a reservation for a private room in El Puntido, which I must confirm one day in advance & I'm hoping that will be ok. I need to overnight in Hontanas as I finish in Fromista the following evening. Cheers, Ros.

Thanks, I've made a reservation for a private room in El Puntido, which I must confirm one day in advance & I'm hoping that will be ok. I need to overnight in Hontanas as I finish in Fromista the following evening. Cheers, Ros.
That's 32 km the next day, good for you because it takes me 2 days at my age. I love Fromista and I have always stayed at San Telmo for a private room, chance to do laundry and long rest in the afternoon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's 32 km the next day, good for you because it takes me 2 days at my age. I love Fromista and I have always stayed at San Telmo for a private room, chance to do laundry and long rest in the afternoon.
Thanks, San Telmo looks nice though I'm booked into Hostel Camino de Santiago for a single room, as its near the train station for the following day as I need to get a train to Santander.
Cheers, Ros.

I stayed in the municipal. I loved it there. Great facilities. I walked with other people who stayed in Santa Brigida also and they enjoyed their stay there. Seems you need to pre-book Puntido as the bunks fill up quickly. There were empty beds in both the municipal and Santa Brigida however.

We stayed at Santa Brigida and the showers were amazing. They guy running the place was so nice and we did dinner there too. We were the only ones to include the dinner which was lots of good food. Across the street was the municipal and others we knew stayed there without complaint.
We stayed here too in 2012, it was pretty new then. The food was good and the very nice lady we dealt with allowed us to take our washed boots upstairs and place them near a hall radiator to dry after a long hard wet slog through adobe mud. We found that day that we got taller as we walked because the mud built up on the boots and also got very heavy. We had to stop every few hundred meters and scrape it off and start all over again. I felt really sorry for the cyclists we met that day on the trail, the mud built up on the wheels and clogged the gears and brakes so they had to stop more often to clear everything, they also had to walk with their bikes as the mud was just too deep and sticky.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I met the same mud back in 2013 between Azofra and Santo Domingo ;)
A challenge, to say the least.
Let me guess: it was in May! I remember a long walk through a field of mud on CF that year as well.

I think we should start a new thread about that now infamous month: "The May 2013 Camino Chronicles" ;0)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back