• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue review

amtrakker

Just writing up my trip notes after a great pilgrimage along the Camino Frances. Details are getting hazy so any errors are my own (as are the opinions about the following places)...

Day 1 Bayonne - Hotel Etap 38E, clean comfortable, bath, TV, buffet breakfast for 5E - location on main road & 20 mins walk for railway station

Day 2 Valcarlos - Casa Rural 25E - only option, but friendly (no English spoken), large clean bathroom, single bed comfortable in small cozy room - lovely fireplace

Day 3 Zubiri - albergue (private) 10E - just after bridge, need to remember code to access it. 8 bed dorm, clean, comfortable, warm, free internet, coffee machine, games

Day 4 Pamplona - albergue (paderborn German) 5E - very friendly sisters, good breakfast for 2E, 12 bed dorms, light weight blankets and light from outside, snorers

Day 5 Cirauqui - albergue (private) 10E opposite church, mass " 6.30, good dinner downstairs, 8 bed dorms (only 2 filled). Can give breakfast a miss, no washing facilities

Day 6 Los Arcos - albergue (municip) 8E Casa de Austria, great living area, balcony and kitchen, 12bed dorm with snorers. Soft mattresses and far too warm

Day 7 Logrono - albergue (private) 10E 300m off trail, 40 bed dorm with only 2 toilets & showers, fine for only 4 people though! Hand washing allowed and could dry outside. NO dining area to speak of. OK for a night, friendly and clean

Day 8 Ventaso - albergue (private) 8.5E - off sendero, but friendly and great drying area on patio. Lovely music in evening and morning. Clean, comfortable, no fridge

Day 9 Azofra - albergue (munincipal) 6E - great 2 bed rooms with large communal area. Friendly and clean, good value with good kitchen, cleaning area. Internet available

Day 10 Granon - albergue (church) donation, very friendly place (Alberto) and great fireplace and dining area, for communal dinner and breakfast. Sleep on mattresses on mezzanine floor above dining area. Good blankets. Mass at 6.30 and prayers at 10, a holy spot.

Day 11 Villafranca de Oco - albergue (munincipal) 6E - clean and friendly with 18 bed dorm (noisy with snorers), Limited kitchen facilities, internet available.

Days 12 & 13 Burgos - Amigos de C dS albergue (munincipal) 3E - large hostal behind cathedral. 3 floors with large dorms, split into 2 x 2 bunk beds with own light and power outlet. Internet available and laundry facilities. Limited cooking available (microwave). Heaps of information on Camino and meet everyone there!

Day 14 Rabe de las Calzadas - Albergue Liberanos Domine - 10E, Clementina lovely lady, breakfast and dinner available. 4 rooms, with 6 bunks each. Opened since Aug 09, toilet / shower upstairs & downstairs. Very friendly and helpful. Nice cozy dining area.

Day 15 Hontanas - Antiguo hospital de peregrinos - 6E, large 18 bed dorm, 2 single beds near windows, no kitchen or communal area that I could see, but friendly, clean, warm! Good restaurant opposite for meals

Day 16 Fromista - Albergue Estrella del Camino - 7E, 2 attached dorms, 12 beds in each, with unisex toilet / shower down one end. 3E for breakfast but book night before. Large dining area, and warm, cozy communal area with fireplace. Lawn outside and cleaning area. Clean, modern, 200m to right of tourist office past church.

Day 17 Calzadilla de la Cueza - didn't pay any money since hospitalero absent (later found he'd been arrested by the police for drugs!) Work still continuing on upstairs room and kitchen. Unisex toilet / shower at one end of 24 bed dorm. OK

Day 18 Calzadilla de los Hermanillos - municipal albergue, donativo, but not very clean or maintained. Cold shower. Good set up with kitchen, communal dining area (with pot belly stove) and 4 bed berths - 16 total I think. Only person there, but needs better maintenance and service. Only pilgrim there.

Day 19 Arcahueja - Albergue Hostal La Torre - 18E for bed in 10 bed dorm, dinner and breakfast - friendly owner (Lucio?) and very clean, modern. Separate toilets / shower for men / women. Good food and warm, only 8km before Leon. Only pilgrim there.

Day 20 Leon - Benedictine Albergue - donativo, worst albergue on camino to mind. Inconvenient opening hours, and far too cramped 60 bed dorm, with no pillow, blanket or bed sheet. A vector for disease, germs. Strict 8a.m. departure date meant leaving in the cold and dark.

Day 21 Rabanal del Camino - Albergue El Tison 5E, first albergue on left hand side in village. Good bar meals next door, with small kitchen, but cosy dining area upstairs. Cramped 12 bed dorm, but relatively warm. OK

Day 22 Hospital de Orbigo - private albergue on RHS - 6E, very welcoming, lovely courtyard, with cozy communal kitchen / dining area. Cramped 10 berth rooms, but music to wake up to, and relaxed departure times.

Day 23 Astorga - Albergue de Pergrinos San Javier 8E, excellent, spacious hostel run by Hotel Gaudi group - more a hotel than a hostel. Lovely hospitaledaria, good hand washing and drying area on sunny patio. 60 bed dorm upstairs, toilets / showers on 2nd floor, kitchen, communal area on ground floor. Relaxed opening hours over Easter, very close to cathedral, difficult to see entrance due to building works. Highly recommended

Day 24 Foncebadon - Monte Irago, very welcoming and happy to shelter frozen pilgrims from the snow storms outside. Big on India!
Manjarin - stay with Tomas the templar night! Cozy, garlic filled dorm, not so clean and lots of cats / dogs. But friendly and great location and views on the highest part of the camino.
Molinseca - Albergue de Santa Maria 7E, 200m other side of town on RHS. Showers and washing area downstairs. Large dining area but no dinner offered over Easter weekend. Spacious, clean, modern 20 bed dorm.

Day 25 Villafranca del Bierzo - Albergue Fenix, 8E plus 6E for dinner, 3E for breakfast - cramped and not so clean dorm, but friendly, welcoming with good food. Toilets / showers outside - good drying area and right next to church.

Day 26 Ruitelan - Refugio de Peregrinos 15E foor bed, dinner and breakfast. Luis the host very relaxed and great food (Carlos the main host was in Madrid but heard great stories of his cooking!) Lovely relaxed village to spend the afternoon, despite the motorway overhead! Good drying area, 6 bed dorms and separate male / female showers.

Day 27 Tricastela - Albergue del refugio del Orbigo - 8E, functional, clean hostel with separate 20 bed dorms for men / women. Small kitchen (with cutlery, pans) and dining area with plasma TV to watch the football! Relaxed departure times.

Day 28 km99.5 - Casa Moroade(?) - casa rural with 10E beds in 6 bed dorm. Gorgeous setting and great food / bar, with fantastic sitting area with fireplace. Best place on the camino.

Day 29 Palas de Rei - Municipal Albergue - 5E, non-descript building but well set up 4 berth quarters in 12 berth room (2 bunk beds). Spacious, some cooking facilities. Relaxed departure times.

Day 30 Santa Irene - Municipal Albergue - 5E, cold showers and 8 berth rooms with lockers. Kitchen and dining area, but no food available and only restaurant 1km back up the hill! A sign indicating this would have been helpful!

Day 31 Santiago - Hotel Avenida - shared 3 bed room with some German pilgrims (I paid for the beers!), Very helpful, informative, clean and close to old town.

Day 32 Santiago - Albergue Seminario Menor - 15E for single (monk cell) room. Large spooky place with large kitchen, washing area downstairs (but surprisingly not open in the morning). A 10 minute walk to the cathedral but single room great value, compared to 10E paid for single bed dorm room in 60 berth quarters.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are two auberges I have heard raves about and cant seem to find. One is just before Astorga, run by a guy named David.
The other is run by Buddists apparantly.and is somewher in the mountains
Anyone know of these.?
BTW, this is the first time, here in Leon, that I have been able to access forum.
In Leon today for rest from my cold. I thought the bedbug problem was curtailed with winter as so far so good. Worse for me is the pilgrim flu,which I hope I have finally overcome with the help of homeopathic remedy purched a few days ago. So sorry to disturb people with awful cough, almost gone!

magdelanye said:
There are two auberges I have heard raves about and cant seem to find. One is just before Astorga, run by a guy named David.
The other is run by Buddists apparantly.and is somewher in the mountains
Anyone know of these.?

magdelanye, the second albergue run by Buddhists is located in Ruitelán (Vega de Valcarce, after Villafranca del Bierzo and just before the ascend to O Cebreiro). It is the only albergue in Ruitelán and it is called "Pequeño Potala". Very nice, calm and small. The two hospitaleros will cook for you if you wish.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
David´s place just before Astorga is not an albergue. It is a refreshment stand outside a tumbledown barn along the road. I understand sometimes people sleep in the barn, but unless some other David has opened an albergue out there, I would not count this as an accommodation -- kind as David is.

As for the first set of "reviews," got to be careful about repeating gossip, esp. when accusing someone of being arrested for drugs! What kind of purpose does that serve, even if it was true?

The entries in the early 20s seem to be a bit out of numerical order.

I understand everyone is entitled to an opinion. Reviews are opinions. The OP seems to have expected a lot from the donativo albergues for the minimum donation, while occasionally treating himself to hotel rooms and pensions. I am happy to see he often "gets what he pays for."

The entries in the early 20s seem to be a bit out of numerical order.
And two days are listed, but not numbered, leaving the total days 34, not 32. Still a great precis of one person's camino.

I am not sure the Ruitelan albergue is run by buddhists, though I did not ask. The presence of incense and a buddhist theme poster do not a buddhist make...

The morning music was definitely christo-european (if that is a category) -- Ave Maria as buddhist? :D

The German-run albergue in La Faba has a Buddhist vibe., they keep vegetarian too -- but I think they are not open til spring. And seeing as Buddhism is not a religion, and doesn´t claim to have its own culture, any kind of music qualifies.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
great info; many thanks for sharing it. No doubt I'll be scrutinising it more closely over the coming weeks as my final preparations shape up.

How are the feet? And the emotions?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've only just noticed you posted this in 2010, so the information may not be quite up-to-date and your feet/emotions should be more settled by now. D'oh!

I was searching the site all over and couldn't find the albergue I slept in while in SJPDP in 2011, so I simply can not understand that it has not been mentioned at all.

It is on Route d'Uhart (going to Route de Bayonne), right at the V section where Route d'Arneguy (entrance is from that road actually) turns left. I paid 12,50€ in May 2011 and was quite satisfied because everything else was packed at that time. All facilities with bar in the basement. But the bar was only for domestic Basques which I recognized after they all turned silent when I walked in :shock: The hospitalero soon took the situation over and later I was singing with them, playing "mus", eating etc. etc. Nice experience.

Anybody know the name of this place?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can really recommend Xarma hostel in Pamplona. It's a small albergue where it feels like you're at home. The owner Pedro does Everything to make you feel welcome

Just writing up my trip notes after a great pilgrimage along the Camino Frances. Details are getting hazy so any errors are my own (as are the opinions about the following places)...

Day 1 Bayonne - Hotel Etap 38E, clean comfortable, bath, TV, buffet breakfast for 5E - location on main road & 20 mins walk for railway station

Day 2 Valcarlos - Casa Rural 25E - only option, but friendly (no English spoken), large clean bathroom, single bed comfortable in small cozy room - lovely fireplace

Day 3 Zubiri - albergue (private) 10E - just after bridge, need to remember code to access it. 8 bed dorm, clean, comfortable, warm, free internet, coffee machine, games

Day 4 Pamplona - albergue (paderborn German) 5E - very friendly sisters, good breakfast for 2E, 12 bed dorms, light weight blankets and light from outside, snorers

Day 5 Cirauqui - albergue (private) 10E opposite church, mass " 6.30, good dinner downstairs, 8 bed dorms (only 2 filled). Can give breakfast a miss, no washing facilities

Day 6 Los Arcos - albergue (municip) 8E Casa de Austria, great living area, balcony and kitchen, 12bed dorm with snorers. Soft mattresses and far too warm

Day 7 Logrono - albergue (private) 10E 300m off trail, 40 bed dorm with only 2 toilets & showers, fine for only 4 people though! Hand washing allowed and could dry outside. NO dining area to speak of. OK for a night, friendly and clean

Day 8 Ventaso - albergue (private) 8.5E - off sendero, but friendly and great drying area on patio. Lovely music in evening and morning. Clean, comfortable, no fridge

Day 9 Azofra - albergue (munincipal) 6E - great 2 bed rooms with large communal area. Friendly and clean, good value with good kitchen, cleaning area. Internet available

Day 10 Granon - albergue (church) donation, very friendly place (Alberto) and great fireplace and dining area, for communal dinner and breakfast. Sleep on mattresses on mezzanine floor above dining area. Good blankets. Mass at 6.30 and prayers at 10, a holy spot.

Day 11 Villafranca de Oco - albergue (munincipal) 6E - clean and friendly with 18 bed dorm (noisy with snorers), Limited kitchen facilities, internet available.

Days 12 & 13 Burgos - Amigos de C dS albergue (munincipal) 3E - large hostal behind cathedral. 3 floors with large dorms, split into 2 x 2 bunk beds with own light and power outlet. Internet available and laundry facilities. Limited cooking available (microwave). Heaps of information on Camino and meet everyone there!

Day 14 Rabe de las Calzadas - Albergue Liberanos Domine - 10E, Clementina lovely lady, breakfast and dinner available. 4 rooms, with 6 bunks each. Opened since Aug 09, toilet / shower upstairs & downstairs. Very friendly and helpful. Nice cozy dining area.

Day 15 Hontanas - Antiguo hospital de peregrinos - 6E, large 18 bed dorm, 2 single beds near windows, no kitchen or communal area that I could see, but friendly, clean, warm! Good restaurant opposite for meals

Day 16 Fromista - Albergue Estrella del Camino - 7E, 2 attached dorms, 12 beds in each, with unisex toilet / shower down one end. 3E for breakfast but book night before. Large dining area, and warm, cozy communal area with fireplace. Lawn outside and cleaning area. Clean, modern, 200m to right of tourist office past church.

Day 17 Calzadilla de la Cueza - didn't pay any money since hospitalero absent (later found he'd been arrested by the police for drugs!) Work still continuing on upstairs room and kitchen. Unisex toilet / shower at one end of 24 bed dorm. OK

Day 18 Calzadilla de los Hermanillos - municipal albergue, donativo, but not very clean or maintained. Cold shower. Good set up with kitchen, communal dining area (with pot belly stove) and 4 bed berths - 16 total I think. Only person there, but needs better maintenance and service. Only pilgrim there.

Day 19 Arcahueja - Albergue Hostal La Torre - 18E for bed in 10 bed dorm, dinner and breakfast - friendly owner (Lucio?) and very clean, modern. Separate toilets / shower for men / women. Good food and warm, only 8km before Leon. Only pilgrim there.

Day 20 Leon - Benedictine Albergue - donativo, worst albergue on camino to mind. Inconvenient opening hours, and far too cramped 60 bed dorm, with no pillow, blanket or bed sheet. A vector for disease, germs. Strict 8a.m. departure date meant leaving in the cold and dark.

Day 21 Rabanal del Camino - Albergue El Tison 5E, first albergue on left hand side in village. Good bar meals next door, with small kitchen, but cosy dining area upstairs. Cramped 12 bed dorm, but relatively warm. OK

Day 22 Hospital de Orbigo - private albergue on RHS - 6E, very welcoming, lovely courtyard, with cozy communal kitchen / dining area. Cramped 10 berth rooms, but music to wake up to, and relaxed departure times.

Day 23 Astorga - Albergue de Pergrinos San Javier 8E, excellent, spacious hostel run by Hotel Gaudi group - more a hotel than a hostel. Lovely hospitaledaria, good hand washing and drying area on sunny patio. 60 bed dorm upstairs, toilets / showers on 2nd floor, kitchen, communal area on ground floor. Relaxed opening hours over Easter, very close to cathedral, difficult to see entrance due to building works. Highly recommended

Day 24 Foncebadon - Monte Irago, very welcoming and happy to shelter frozen pilgrims from the snow storms outside. Big on India!
Manjarin - stay with Tomas the templar night! Cozy, garlic filled dorm, not so clean and lots of cats / dogs. But friendly and great location and views on the highest part of the camino.
Molinseca - Albergue de Santa Maria 7E, 200m other side of town on RHS. Showers and washing area downstairs. Large dining area but no dinner offered over Easter weekend. Spacious, clean, modern 20 bed dorm.

Day 25 Villafranca del Bierzo - Albergue Fenix, 8E plus 6E for dinner, 3E for breakfast - cramped and not so clean dorm, but friendly, welcoming with good food. Toilets / showers outside - good drying area and right next to church.

Day 26 Ruitelan - Refugio de Peregrinos 15E foor bed, dinner and breakfast. Luis the host very relaxed and great food (Carlos the main host was in Madrid but heard great stories of his cooking!) Lovely relaxed village to spend the afternoon, despite the motorway overhead! Good drying area, 6 bed dorms and separate male / female showers.

Day 27 Tricastela - Albergue del refugio del Orbigo - 8E, functional, clean hostel with separate 20 bed dorms for men / women. Small kitchen (with cutlery, pans) and dining area with plasma TV to watch the football! Relaxed departure times.

Day 28 km99.5 - Casa Moroade(?) - casa rural with 10E beds in 6 bed dorm. Gorgeous setting and great food / bar, with fantastic sitting area with fireplace. Best place on the camino.

Day 29 Palas de Rei - Municipal Albergue - 5E, non-descript building but well set up 4 berth quarters in 12 berth room (2 bunk beds). Spacious, some cooking facilities. Relaxed departure times.

Day 30 Santa Irene - Municipal Albergue - 5E, cold showers and 8 berth rooms with lockers. Kitchen and dining area, but no food available and only restaurant 1km back up the hill! A sign indicating this would have been helpful!

Day 31 Santiago - Hotel Avenida - shared 3 bed room with some German pilgrims (I paid for the beers!), Very helpful, informative, clean and close to old town.

Day 32 Santiago - Albergue Seminario Menor - 15E for single (monk cell) room. Large spooky place with large kitchen, washing area downstairs (but surprisingly not open in the morning). A 10 minute walk to the cathedral but single room great value, compared to 10E paid for single bed dorm room in 60 berth quarters.
Hello , thank you for this , I was wondering where to stay in Roncesvalles and about the private one in Zubiri , did it have a name that I can find and book ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello , thank you for this , I was wondering where to stay in Roncesvalles and about the private one in Zubiri , did it have a name that I can find and book ?
Hi! What numbers are you using as reference for the albergues? Im not familiar with them.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.