Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Salas for sale

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am one of the ‘dreamers’, but the price seems much too high. We met some albergue owners last year who paid €60k for a dilapidated farmhouse and €60k more to fix it up.

I agree about the price. Especially on the Primitivo, not a very crowed Camino...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m a dreamer with some goals that hopefully will lead to a plan. I have the advantage of having EU citizenship and would have only a small “home” that operates as a Donativo in a location in need of a rest stop.

In the same boat. This has also been my "plan" since about 2014. I have researched and talked to most of the owners of current albergues that are for sale (all very expensive) and have volunteered numerous times in donativo albergues with the Spanish Federation but I have yet to find the Camino/location. Maybe not in the stars or I'm not looking hard enough. In any case I am still enjoying the walking on new Caminos (now on the Madrid).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not a potential buyer, but I am wondering which albergue this is. I assume it is not the private one that is right in the old part of town, across the street from the restaurant that serves you way too much food. Gronze lists three privates, La Campa (which think is the one I stayed in) and two others. Four albergues in Salas, since there is a municipal one, does seem to be overkill, but a lot of people do walk Grado to Salas, which is 22 km. The real problem with that stage, IMO, is that it gets you out of sync for a Hospitales day. And Hospitales seems to have become the "must do" alternative.

We stayed there last fall. It's private Albergue El Rey Casto, on the square next to the Church.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Off topic, but this is something I’ve never understood: why is Hospitales considered an alternative if it goes past three medieval pilgrim complexes?

It does seem like historically this is the more authentic route. But there was a time in the early 2000s (and probably before that, but that's as far back as I go) when Hospitales was billed as "dangerous" and it wasn't well marked. So the Pola route was the normal/standard route, with an exception for those intrepid souls who wanted to go through Hospitales. I don't know how it got the billing of a "killer stage" but I remember people telling us in the albergue in Pola de Siero (before Oviedo, coming down from the Norte) that it was dangerous and we shouldn't do it. Actually, in many ways it is easier than the Pola de Allande alternative. But anyhow, the marking has improved tremendously, and I think the lure of long stretches of mountain ridge is appealing, as are the hospital ruins and the wild horses. So Pola de Allande now takes a back seat.

And with the popularity of Bodenaya, which positions you well forCampiello/Borres, the momentum seems to have totally shifted.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Off topic, but this is something I’ve never understood: why is Hospitales considered an alternative if it goes past three medieval pilgrim complexes?

I read about these and I don't think they were for pilgrims.
I read they were occupied by lepers and were very basic in a very cold area far from civilization.

Back to the original post - I see there are only two toilets for 34 people. Which is not unusual, but imo is not nearly enough! One of the design flaws of many albergues.

Hi Colette! A friend and I walked the Camino Frances last Sept/Oct, and returned this year to scout for properties between Burgos and Leon, which would function as our pied-a-terre, with rooms to accommodate pilgrims. Didn't find what we're looking for, so the search continues. My husband and I plan to walk a small portion of the Camino del Norte this Sept. Wondering how your experience was. I'm now thinking a property on the less-frequented Camino and nearer the ocean would be more ideal. Would love to know your thoughts!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m a dreamer with some goals that hopefully will lead to a plan. I have the advantage of having EU citizenship and would have only a small “home” that operates as a Donativo in a location in need of a rest stop.

Hi Colette! A friend and I walked the Camino Frances last Sept/Oct, and returned this year to scout for properties between Burgos and Leon, which would function as our pied-a-terre, with rooms to accommodate pilgrims. Didn't find what we're looking for, so the search continues. My husband and I plan to walk a small portion of the Camino del Norte this Sept. Wondering how your experience was. I'm now thinking a property on the less-frequented Camino and nearer the ocean would be more ideal. Would love to know your thoughts!

Hi El Norte is beautiful and in need of more Albergues. You’d have to like rain and wind as it is a maritime location. The first 6 days Irun to Bilbao is where there is a lack of Albergues plus a few stages in Cantabria. I too think about a less traveled Camino for a small place. I’m going to volunteer in 2019 a few places. I have an economical base in Slovakia so can get to and from Spain quickly.

I am not a potential buyer, but I am wondering which albergue this is. I assume it is not the private one that is right in the old part of town, across the street from the restaurant that serves you way too much food. Gronze lists three privates, La Campa (which think is the one I stayed in) and two others. Four albergues in Salas, since there is a municipal one, does seem to be overkill, but a lot of people do walk Grado to Salas, which is 22 km. The real problem with that stage, IMO, is that it gets you out of sync for a Hospitales day. And Hospitales seems to have become the "must do" alternative.
We stayed in Salas, at the place across from that marvellous restaurant you reference (Albergue de Campas). From the photo in the link, I can see the name of the one for sale is El Rey Casto Albergue. We did the Hospitales and I didn't feel out of sync. We went to Tineo from Salas. Then Tineo to Campiello.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I read about these and I don't think they were for pilgrims.
I read they were occupied by lepers and were very basic in a very cold area far from civilization.
No, they were pilgrim hospitals. There was a leper one along the Primitivo as I recall, but these aren't them.

Hi El Norte is beautiful and in need of more Albergues. You’d have to like rain and wind as it is a maritime location. The first 6 days Irun to Bilbao is where there is a lack of Albergues plus a few stages in Cantabria. I too think about a less traveled Camino for a small place. I’m going to volunteer in 2019 a few places. I have an economical base in Slovakia so can get to and from Spain quickly.

Many thanks, Collette! Volunteering is a good first step (pun intended)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I am starting El Camino Primitivo from Oviedo in 3 days. I will try to follow the normal stages and will attempt to do the Hospital route, if the weather permits it. During my research...
Hello to All !! My wife and I are looking at doing the Camino Primitivo sometime around the beginning of May 2024. We are both retired, in relatively good shape having recently completed a high...
Hey all, I would like to plan a Camino for my Easter holidays. I like the look of the Primitivo but as a complete first timer, I’m a little lost in all of the different options. The community...
I did the Camino Frances from St. Jean in 2022. I wouldn't call it life changing or anything that dramatic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so freeing to unburden myself of responsibilities...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back