• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue San Anton Now Closed?

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
We have pilgrims here tonight who say the Albergue San Anton, 2 km. east of Castrojeriz, is now closed, that people are moving furnishings out and sending pilgrims on to Castrojeriz. :cry:

Anyone know what´s up?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I didn't see any signs of life when I passed through the ruins a few weeks ago. I didn't see anything open or any activity. Pity, I would be good to stay there at some stage.

Oh no! I hope that this is only a temporary measure. When I walked first and second (1999 and 2000) this was a ruin. I wrote in my diary (Um...we didn´t have blogs in those days, dinosaur that I am) that it was such a shame that this place (with SO much history: Look up El Fuego de San Anton) seemed to have been abandoned. I never met the "man with the Tau" who envitalised it.
Please say it isn´t so...
Truly, if it were not for my commitments here at The Little Fox, I would be there in a heartbeat.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It would be very sad if this albergue has indeed closed.

I spent a wonderful night there a couple of years ago, with a fabulous communal meal, lovely singing of Pilgrim songs in the open chapel beneath the stars after and a good night's rest as there were only 8 of us.

I do remember though that during the afternoon a visit was paid by a group of governement inspectors checking on the structure of the albergue and remarking amongst themselves (out of ear of the hospitaleros) that they didn't like the idea of people staying there as they thought it could be unsafe.

Hope it is jsut a temporary closure, as I was hoping to stay there again this July and it is one of the albergues where pilgrims can really feel the past and the magic of the Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Although I never have stayed there, this place remained in my memory as one of the very few places (Manjarin?) which have remained where anything of the true "roughing it" spirit of the Medieval pilgrimage surfaced.
If closing this place is true then God rot the "Heath and Safety +++holes who would do such a thing! And believe me I know such a thing is possible: look at why you now have to pay 12 euros a night (plus Internet etc.,) at the Seminario Menor in SdeC, for heaven´s sake! (And why it is a now a business out of necessity and operated by a travel agent: Viloria...).
What IS the future of our Camimo---?
A mi, no me gusta.

It would be more than sad for some special people! I stayed there 2 years ago. On top of a wonderful meal, prayers, singing under the full moon, there was a story there of the 2 Spanish hospitaleros, who met on the Camino year before, and in July 2011 were getting married in ... San Anton! (I was there a week before their big date). It was supposed to be the only night closed to the pilgrims, because of the wedding.

So I also hope it's only temporary closure; I will check it out end of July. (and I'll try to sleep there for sure, closed or not).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Finally found an answer, via Camino-man Acacio Paz:
http://www.elcorreo.com/vizcaya/ocio/20 ... cobea.html

Apparently the man behind the San Anton project has opened a new pilgrim hostel in Castrojeriz, and getting that project going, along with the chilly weather, has put the opening at San Anton behind schedule. According to the article, it will be open "after this weekend." :D

Buen camino!

Oh.....(Monty Pythonesque)... well that's alright then. :D

Delighted that it's opening! Not surprised some pilgrims feel moved to donate 50 Euros after their amazing San Anton experience.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A notice today in Mundicamino Domingo - 7 julio de 2013 / elcorreo.com
Una piedra preciosa en el Camino/ Sunday -7 july 2013 /elcorreo.com A gem on the Camino
describes the long history of the San Antonio monks and monastery, the current ruins and the present hospitalero named Ovid Field who runs this VERY special albergue. The ruins may be without electricity or hot water, but pilgrims are offered bunk, breakfast, dinner and at least half a bottle of wine per head. By candlelight or under the stars all is freely given (with donativo) .... Thus this albergue is an example of yet another of the varied and memorable alternatives available along the Camino.... To each his own.

Margaret Meredith

Priscillian said:
look at why you now have to pay 12 euros a night (plus Internet etc.,) at the Seminario Menor in SdeC, for heaven´s sake! (And why it is a now a business out of necessity and operated by a travel agent: Viloria...).[/i]

Single room at Sem Men 17 euros last month, and NO HOT WATER either....... :mrgreen:
Last time I'll ever stay there.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back