• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Santa María de Eunate closed permamently?

Hello.
Apparently the tiny refuge in the house next to the curch Santa María de Eunate is closed down. It is not anymore listed in the list of Eroski Consumer.
Sad news.
But here is the chance for people to run their own refuge!
The house on the ground of the church is owned by the council of Muruzabál
Buen Camino and a blessed New Year!
Jochen

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh no I hope this isn't true Eunate is (was :( ) such a wonderful place to stay....

Terrible news! I plan to walk the Aragones from 4th May 2013 and had hoped to stay there. :(

Indeed, the closing of the Eunate albergue is VERY sad news. Over the years I have had the priviledge to stay there several times. All were unforgetable thanks to the gracious kindness of the hospitaleros/hospitalera. Perhaps someone new might be recruited to continue the tradition at this wonderful site.

I've only just booked my flight to Biarritz and already having to plan a re-jig of my overnights :(
I had my heart set on staying overnight in Eunate but will still take the detour to visit, would any of the experienced hands care to suggest their preferred overnight in this area: Uterga - Obanos or Peunte la Reina?

Plans start to come asunder the moment you make them - story of my life :wink:

Seamus

Hi Seamus,

I liked the Obanos albergue very much, lovely sitting room although only two showers and two toilets. Clean though.
People very friendly : farmacy, shop, good internetconnection in library, bar / resto Inaki . All around the small plaza mayor.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Obanos, Uterga, and Jakue in Puente la Reina are only open for the regular season, March or April to October. All are pretty good, but I prefer Uterga. Just a personal opinion.

Just a word for Puente la Reina, it is a lovely little town, much more to experience than just the bridge, beautiful interesting churches, lovely people. I liked Jakue and I liked Obanos a quiet place lovely sqyare which even has an ATM. The people at Uterga were very kind, I arrived half dead after eating something in Pamplona which my system did not agree with, was laid up there three days with fever and raging bowels and they went out of their way to help. So kind.
S

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great pity about Eunate. At this point, I would prefer Obanos. I personally don't like staying in the dungeons of Jakue. We've stayed there twice and after the first time,I said "never again" and stupidly, we fell for the trap a second time, but they have a fantastic dinner buffet. I agree with Scruffy that Puente de la Reina is a lovely little town and worth passing a few hours there. Anne

Thanks for the valued suggestions Falcon, Anna, Sabine, Scruffy and Mspath.

Alas I'm no nearer a decision but at least I've the consolation that the area seems to have an abundance of well recommended albergues, will probably have to toss a coin or play eenie, meenie....

:)

Seamus

supersullivan said:
...will probably have to toss a coin or play eenie, meenie....

Seamus

And sometimes this makes for the best days of the Camino.

So sad to hear this, but I had an inkling this might happen when we stayed there in late September
with Marie-Rosa and Girard, the wonderful hospitalero couple who ran that albergue for three years non-stop, only closing on Mondays. They were exhausted and planning to relocate to Brazil at the end of October. I wish them all the best, as they are sterling and idealistic and so, so wonderful!

I gathered, at the time, that there was no one lined up to take over that cute little donativo albergue.
Hmmm....maybe it is time for a change of career for us...
Anayway, I do hope someone takes on Eunate; such a special, holy place.

The same fate may soon befall Casa de Magica, Villatuarte, also cared for by a hospitalero couple on the verge of leaving due to financial pressures and burn-out. That is a very special place too.

ouroboros said:
... The same fate may soon befall Casa de Magica, Villatuarte, also cared for by a hospitalero couple on the verge of leaving due to financial pressures and burn-out. That is a very special place too.
Casa Magica is a beautiful property indeed. For what a pilgrim guest can experience. The owners-cum-hospitaleros undoubtedly overrated the financial potential of the property (with an excessive burden) and underestimated the energy needed to run an albergue. This is not the only unfortunate case along the Camino Francés :cry:

I last stayed there in June 2009 when the curator of the church, Jean-Pierre, was also hospitalero.

He was a fabulous cook and made 7 of us the most wonderful three course meal. He also had a beautiful singing voice and sang Ave Maria at the blessing in the church which he held by candlelight after dinner. Goosebumps stuff!

Jean - Pierre carved in miniature the sculptures of the Alto de Perdón and had it on the mantelpiece - it was beautiful.

Santa Maria de Eunate is closed on Mondays.

Attachments

• Eunate-horz.jpg
    Eunate-horz.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 3,920
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
mralisn said:
supersullivan said:
...will probably have to toss a coin or play eenie, meenie....

Seamus

And sometimes this makes for the best days of the Camino.

The last time I backed a horse in a 2 horse race it came in 3rd! :wink:

Seamus

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some very fine people have volunteered at Eunate over the past few years: Jan and Mariluz; Marianne the Swiss; Jean the French chef and Ave Maria singer; and more lately Rosa and her husband. Unfortunately, ill health and vicious local politics make the job a less-than-perfect one -- the church is a listed Navarrese landmark, the house has belonged to a local confraternity for hundreds of years, and the land belongs to the ayuntamiento (or some such nightmare combination). Everyone feels like the place belongs to him personally, and the hospitaleros get caught in all kinds of crossfire. Eunate is a magical place, but I wouldn't take that full-time post unless I was a real saint!

mspath said:
Indeed, the closing of the Eunate albergue is VERY sad news. Over the years I have had the priviledge to stay there several times. All were unforgetable thanks to the gracious kindness of the hospitaleros/hospitalera. Perhaps someone new might be recruited to continue the tradition at this wonderful site.

It holds very special memories for me too. I stayed there at the end of September after walking the Camino Aragones, and it was manna for the soul. I had no inkling that it was about to close and I am sure that the husband and wife hospitaleros, who were both wonderful, were not aware of it.

jennysa said:
It holds very special memories for me too. I stayed there at the end of September after walking the Camino Aragones, and it was manna for the soul. I had no inkling that it was about to close and I am sure that the husband and wife hospitaleros, who were both wonderful, were not aware of it.

Actually, Rosa and Girard indeed knew that there was no hospitalero in the pipeline to take over for them when they left in October, but they had to move on, of course.

They probably did not talk about it much to arriving pilgrims; it came up only because I was asking Girard about their journey to Eunate as a couple, and he was forthcoming with me about their imminent career change.

I guess the confraternity is responsible for recruiting hospitaleros for Eunate...a daunting task it seems, especially in light of what Rebekkah has revealed about the politics involved.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has anyone visually confirmed that Eunate is actually closed? Last April i planned to stop there and a fellow pilgrim in another albergue assured me that it was closed and showed me a more current guidebook than my own that said it was closed. So the next day i went to Obanos (wonderful albergue) instead of eunate. The following morning I tracked back to eunate just to visit the church and low and behold the albergue was open.

ncali12 said:
Has anyone visually confirmed that Eunate is actually closed? Last April i planned to stop there and a fellow pilgrim in another albergue assured me that it was closed and showed me a more current guidebook than my own that said it was closed. So the next day i went to Obanos (wonderful albergue) instead of eunate. The following morning I tracked back to eunate just to visit the church and low and behold the albergue was open.

Yes, several members of the German pilgrim forum I am also a member of have indeed confirmed that it is closed. They all walked recently November / December. As Rebekkah said, this is an extremely difficult refuge to run, add to what she said also the following: Bus loads of tourists in summer. SY

I talked with the hospitalero when I was there in July 2012. They told me that they would go back to South-America. But that it was not sure that there would be replacements. Because:

They told me also that there were some trouble with the local villagers. There were a lot that would like it closed for pilgrims and tourists. They thought that it's there right to go to the chapel. But not the right of the pelgrims. The chapel is a part of the village, not for al the pelgrims and tourists. It was sad to hear... Eunate should be open for everyone...
I think the local villagers who wanted it closed for the pilgrims and tourist has won :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jochen-Schmidtke said:
Hello.
Apparently the tiny refuge in the house next to the curch Santa María de Eunate is closed down. It is not anymore listed in the list of Eroski Consumer.
Sad news.
But here is the chance for people to run their own refuge!
The house on the ground of the church is owned by the council of Muruzabál
Buen Camino and a blessed New Year!
Jochen

It is really sad news to read the refuge is closed and also that the Church access is in question. Let's hope and pray something miraculous happens and the right people 'appear' to resolve this situation.

supersullivan said:
I've only just booked my flight to Biarritz and already having to plan a re-jig of my overnights :(
I had my heart set on staying overnight in Eunate but will still take the detour to visit, would any of the experienced hands care to suggest their preferred overnight in this area: Uterga - Obanos or Peunte la Reina?

Seamus
Hi Seamus, Obanos is very near Eunate and is a nice village and Eunate is also not far from Puente la Reina. Beannacht Dé Daithi

Daíthi said:
supersullivan said:

Seamus
Hi Seamus, Obanos is very near Eunate and is a nice village and Eunate is also not far from Puente la Reina. Beannacht Dé Daithi

Daithi, go raibh maith agat.

Mise le meas :wink:

Seamus Suilleabhain

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stayed with Jan and Mariluz in May 2004.

I was given a rosary made by Mariluz father. He was on holiday and he brought the wood from his home of Ecuador and made around 100 while he stayed in the house.

It was one of my most treasured possessions as staying there was one of the most important nights of my Camino - ever.

With all our moves it got lost and I still grieve even to this day. It was going with me into the coffin and into eternity.

I have hopes to walk SJPP to Logrono one final time and I will call via the church no matter what, but it is terribly sad that the house is closed.

Anniesantiago said:
Does anyone know for SURE if Eunate is open or closed? Any current (May 2013) information?

Annie,

The church at Eunate is owned by the Parroquia de San Esteban (MURUZABAL (VALDIZARBE). Here is the parish web >> http://www.pamplona.es/verPagina.asp?idPag=159053EN. It provides these telephone numbers for further info. 948-344586 / 679-626509. Why don't you call them for up to date info ?

MM

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is closed, and it looks permanent. It bills itself as a place for contemplation. It is staffed by a very nice lady who will tell you there is no albergue, and give you a sello.

I'm so glad I joined this forum. I had planned to stay there (with backup of course as it is a small place) but now I know that I have to stay somewhere else (and got great info about the alternatives). Is it still worth take the route to the church? Will it be open (if I don't come on a Monday)?

Re: Albergue Santa María de Eunate closed permamently? Yes!

Opening times of the church Santa María de Eunate: Tuesday to Sunday 10:30-13:30 and 16:00-19:00 Mondays closed.
Buen Camino
Jochen

It si well worth visiting this beautiful church. Even if the albergue close-by (and church itself) is closed. This detour is simply charming.

Just a hint...

Attachments

• 0244-Eunate church of Santa Maria (Uterga-Lorca, 25.05.2009).jpg
    0244-Eunate church of Santa Maria (Uterga-Lorca, 25.05.2009).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 510

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back