• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Seminario Menor and Hospederia San Martin Pinario

dfox

Time of past OR future Camino
I have been trying to reserve a room/bed in Hospederia San Martin Pinario and Alberque Seminario Menor on May 28, 2019 for one night since last May and today. Both places did/do not have room/bed available. I have no problem to reserve a room/bed on or before May 28, 2019.

Could someone please shed some light on this situation? Is there special event in these two places or in the area?

Thanks,

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Have you been trying to book through Booking.com or with each place directly? Booking.com only has a set number of rooms available but quite often if you contact the hotel there are rooms available. San Martin also has reduced rate single or double Pilgrim's rooms. To book these, you need to send a direct email to reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu specifying that you would like to book a pilgrim's room. If you'd like a regular room, you could ask about availability in your email as well. They've always replied quickly when I've contacted them.

I used the direct email mentioned above about a month ago and booked two pilgrim rooms for 28th/29th May. My favourite place to stay in Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been trying to reserve a room/bed in Hospederia San Martin Pinario and Alberque Seminario Menor on May 28, 2019 for one night since last May and today. Both places did/do not have room/bed available. I have no problem to reserve a room/bed on or before May 28, 2019.

Could someone please shed some light on this situation? Is there special event in these two places or in the area?

Thanks,
Lst summer I had a lady in an albergue in Samos phone for me and she was able to reserve for since I do not carry a phone. I had gone in this albergue to use their internet and she willing did this favour for me

Seminario Menor is letting people book in advance ? Crikey !! Just when I was thinking they couldn't sink any lower, they do ...

The pilgrim rate is not available through booking.com; you need to call, email, or drop by. The hotel rate for San Martin Pinario is offered through booking.com; it is much higher, but the room is nicer.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@dfox, both places have their own websites with a booking system. For the Seminario, they show you the total number of places available for a chosen date. It looks good for 28 May 2019. For San Martín, when you pick 28 May 2019 you are shown a calendar overview for May 2019 with remaining availabilities. It looks already rather bleak for private rooms in May and even June. The hospederia part has 81 rooms. Of course, for a booking of 28 May, they offer free cancellation until 27 May ...

Reservations Seminario menor
Reservations San Martín Pinario
May 2019 - San Martín Pinario

Last edited:
Hi, I also used the email address above 2 weeks ago to make a booking for the 27,28,29th May. They answered my email within half an hour and my booking was made. Like Camino07 it’s my favorite place to stay.
Buen Camino judy

Have you been trying to book through Booking.com or with each place directly? Booking.com only has a set number of rooms available but quite often if you contact the hotel there are rooms available. San Martin also has reduced rate single or double Pilgrim's rooms. To book these, you need to send a direct email to reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu specifying that you would like to book a pilgrim's room. If you'd like a regular room, you could ask about availability in your email as well. They've always replied quickly when I've contacted them.

I had directly looked up availability of rooms in the San Martin site, http://www.hsanmartinpinario.com/, but no "private" room available.

Same for the Alberque Seminario Menor via e-mail.

I stayed in the two places as a pilgrim in 5/2017.

In 5/2017, a "single" room for pilgrim was 23 euros with breakfast, which was by itself was 5 euros.

The lunch menu in San Martin was 10 or 12 euros with a bottle of wine (red or white), a bottle of 2L water, and a 3-course meal. The breakfast was great too!

In Seminario Menor, it had a well equipped kitchen and a mini convenience store inside.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I also used the email address above 2 weeks ago to make a booking for the 27,28,29th May. They answered my email within half an hour and my booking was made. Like Camino07 it’s my favorite place to stay.
Buen Camino judy

I am sorry that I didn't make it clear that I was trying to book a "private room" not dedicated for pilgrims. I did stay in these two places in 5/2017.

I've used this number. Asked for a pilgrim room on the top floor. Worked in 2017 and 2018.
Telf: +34 981 56 02 82

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks,

The annual feast day and celebration Apparition of the Apostle Santiago, (at the Battle of Clavijo) I believe) occurs on 23 May 2019. This is an occasion for several commemorative Masses and celebrations surrounding this major event in the life of Santiago. It is also a seminal day for the entire city.

So, I opine that this is the proximate reason for the demand for bed space. Most of the religious groups and individuals from all over Spain, who are involved in these celebrations, will stay at both San Martin Pinario and further out, at the Seminario Menor.

Read here for more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Clavijo

Incidentally, this is where the entire legend of Santiago Matamoros was born...

Hope this helps.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@dfox, both places have their own websites with a booking system. For the Seminario, they show you the total number of places available for a chosen date. It looks good for 28 May 2019. For San Martín, when you pick 28 May 2019 you are shown a calendar overview for May 2019 with remaining availabilities. It looks already rather bleak for private rooms in May and even June. The hospederia part has 81 rooms. Of course, for a booking of 28 May, they offer free cancellation until 27 May ...

Reservations Seminario menor
Reservations San Martín Pinario
May 2019 - San Martín Pinario

Remember that the online booking system at San Martin Pinario (unless they changed it) is only for the hotel-style rooms that cost more. In my experience over six Caminos, I always had to send them an e-mail to request a pilgrim prices room on piso 4. I usually received either a confirmation with a reservation number for future reference, OR a statement that they were COMPLETO for that date.

I cannot speak to the Semanario Menor...

Hope this helps.

Bookable rooms still available at the Hospederia San Martín Pinario according to their own website, as shown today (16 March 2019). I guess nothing particular is going on, just increasing popularity and increasing demand, perhaps people booking several dates for "just in case". The fact that there is more availability in July and August than in September makes me wonder whether this isn't largely driven by non-domestic demand.

Seminario Menor is letting people book in advance ? Crikey !! Just when I was thinking they couldn't sink any lower, they do ...
personally, I wouldn't stay there it's very noisy when the students are there. I always got a room of my own and still was noisy. If you cannot stay at San Martin try the place called de Salle near the convent of Poor Clares very nice and comfortable. I had a room with Bathroom it was 24 Euros. room was small but comfortable. It also has a dormitory.

The annual Feast of Santiago is on 25 July. Notice that the San Martin Pinario is sold out in the middle of the week, on the three days leading up to the 25 July celebration.

Over several years working as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office then, I found it interesting to note how fast Santiago empties out after the midnight fireworks and city-wide party on the night of the 24th leading into the 25th.

RENFE even lay on additional trains to help clear the city in the wee hours of 25 July. By the 26th, the city is a veritable ghost town. But quickly comes back up to full pilgrim and tourist volumes the next weekend. In this case, that would be the next day...

If you plan to be in Santiago for either of those weeks, either around 23 May or 25 July, make reservations, like yesterday. I will be there on both occasions, and already have my lodging arrangements made.

Hope this helps.

I just tried to book Hospederia San Martin mid September “no room available” ???? Really that’s strange I think 🤔
I tried to book a pilgrim room for 2 nights...7th and 8th July but one of the nights not available ....they hadn't answered the phone for hours but I did get a very quick reply via email
The rooms for these 2 nights....??the hotel and not the pilgrim rooms cost £921 on booking.com.....might be a typing error here though!!

Now I think we'll just take our chances and not bother booking at all
Annette

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

It’s the only place I ever book, otherwise you won’t get in.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back