• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Seminaro Menor in SdC offers 10% discount

dfox

Time of past OR future Camino
<<If this post is inappropriate, please don't hesitate to remove it. Thx.)

Received an e-mail from "Albergues Del Camino" advertising that it offers a 10% discount if one book "Santiago de Compostela Minor Seminar Hostel" and "Magdalena Sarria Monastery" through its website, which will be opening on April 1, 2022.

I stayed in this albergue in 2017. It has a tiny grocery store and a kitchen for pilgrims cooking their meals.

The Seminario Menor Hostel is located 10 minutes walk from the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela . It is in front of the Parque de Belvis, which offers wonderful views of the old town of Santiago.

Stay at the Seminario Menor Hostel at the best price by entering the code SEMINARIO22 when making your reservation.

1646853282534.png

The Magdalena Sarria Monastery

1646853456332.png

The Albergue La Magdalena is located in a monastery built at the beginning of the 12th century , almost at the same time as the town of Sarria, and its history was always linked to the Camino de Santiago.

Stay at Albergue Seminario La Magdalena at the best price by entering the code MAGDALENA22 when making your reservation.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
<<If this post is inappropriate, please don't hesitate to remove it. Thx.)

Received an e-mail from "Albergues Del Camino" advertising that it offers a 10% discount if one book "Santiago de Compostela Minor Seminar Hostel" and "Magdalena Sarria Monastery" through its website, which will be opening on April 1, 2022.

I stayed in this albergue in 2017. It has a tiny grocery store and a kitchen for pilgrims cooking their meals.

The Seminario Menor Hostel is located 10 minutes walk from the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela . It is in front of the Parque de Belvis, which offers wonderful views of the old town of Santiago.

Stay at the Seminario Menor Hostel at the best price by entering the code SEMINARIO22 when making your reservation.

View attachment 120111

The Magdalena Sarria Monastery

View attachment 120112

The Albergue La Magdalena is located in a monastery built at the beginning of the 12th century , almost at the same time as the town of Sarria, and its history was always linked to the Camino de Santiago.

Stay at Albergue Seminario La Magdalena at the best price by entering the code MAGDALENA22 when making your reservation.
I stayed there in 2018 and would not recommend it. Its a long 10 minute walk to the cathedral and friends staying closer to the cathedral. Its also a down and then up hill walk. It huge so I didn't feel a sense of community. I had a friend staying there and didn't realize it until I ran into her at the cathedral. You feel removed from the city center activities.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's horses for courses. I have stayed at the Seminario Menor a couple of times, out of necessity. Google Maps reckons it's 15 minutes from the Cathedral, and I think that's not allowing for the climb of the second half. I also counted the number of steps to the top floor, where my bed was -- 88! It is huge, as RRat said. On a positive note -- never likely to be full.

It's horses for courses. I have stayed at the Seminario Menor a couple of times, out of necessity. Google Maps reckons it's 15 minutes from the Cathedral, and I think that's not allowing for the climb of the second half. I also counted the number of steps to the top floor, where my bed was -- 88! It is huge, as RRat said. On a positive note -- never likely to be full.
There is an alternative way there: When you are at the top of the downhill, take left: It is all flat to Seminario Menor. Likewise, when you exit the front door at the Seminario, heading for town, don't go down and then up: take right on the same street you came: Much faster. Flat like a Meseta!:):cool:.

It is quite nice there, with lockers, and last time I was there I paid 15 Euros. However, for many years now, I have enjoyed a private place in Rua do Franco, the heart of the old town, with a view to the pedestrian street, the bell tower of the Cathedral, and Do Bispo, possibly the best tapas bar in SdC :cool:.

Last edited:
I stayed there in 2018 and would not recommend it. Its a long 10 minute walk to the cathedral and friends staying closer to the cathedral. Its also a down and then up hill walk. It huge so I didn't feel a sense of community. I had a friend staying there and didn't realize it until I ran into her at the cathedral. You feel removed from the city center activities.
I tend to agree with this but I would add, there are positives as well - it is spacious - interesting and can have a cheap private room etc. I would stay there again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I tend to agree with this but I would add, there are positives as well - it is spacious - interesting and can have a cheap private room etc. I would stay there again.
For a few moments I thought I had written another post, but then I noticed you do not have "ex" in your name...😅

It's an easy walk using Alexwalker's instructions, especially if you're too tired to walk after your camino. Cheap private rooms, handbasins in rooms, shared bathrooms, cotton bed linen if you stay 2 nights (otherwise disposable sheets). Laundry, dining room for breakfast. Helpful staff. What's not to love?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Stayed there out of necessity once, cheap (good value) private room, shared bathroom, really good laundry (needed to wash and dry everything), small shop, and most importantly cool beer on a terrace overlooking the Cathedral Spires from a distance...

From memory, a bit of a slog from the Cathedral Square, equally from memory, it worked for me...

Thank you for the tip!
I’ve booked 2 nights in early May, anticipating that things could be pretty busy and now I’m not worried about accommodations anymore. I hadn’t been able to get anything at the San Martin Pinario, can’t count on th pilgrim room being available at the Parador, and I’m not partial to other places I have stayed, so this seems perfect!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed at Seminario Menor at the end of my first Camino. Really liked the location. Quiet, green area. Building is beautiful. Cheap private rooms available, a treat at the end of the journey after staying in dormitorios for six weeks.

Big kitchen for cooking your own meals, and a small shop in the building so if you forgot to bring something from the supermarket you didn't have to walk back into town.

Met several pilgrim friends there and really enjoyed my stay.

If you need some quiet time to relax and want to be a bit outside of city center, but still close enough to walk there when you feel like it, it is a good choice.

If you enjoy the busy town and want to spend all night in the restaurants and bars with just a short walk back to your bed, then it's probably better to choose different lodging closer to the cathedral.

I agree that it is spacious and cheap. We arrived soaked to the skin and didn't mind having a barebones place to stay. We just wanted to get dry and get some sleep. But I wouldn't stay there again. There are far too many better choices closer in. We always recommend that if the weather is good, stay in Monte Gozo. The views of SdC at sunset from the hill with the pilgrim statues is, in my opinion, among the top five most unforgettable views of the entire camino. I took a zillion photos. Attached is just one. I also attach a monograph I wrote for La Concha, the online periodical of American Pilgrims on the Camino, about deepening one's spiritual experience in/near Santiago. Then walk into SdC at your leisure.

Attachments

• sunset, pilgrim statues, monte gozo.jpg
    sunset, pilgrim statues, monte gozo.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Santiago Deepening the Spiritual Experience.pdf
    422.5 KB · Views: 1

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back