• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Services and Recommendation

Rellrog

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: March 2013
Le Puy: July 2015
Portugues: April 2018
La Plata: March 2020-to be continued
My wife and I will be starting the Camino from St. Jean in mid March. We have a few questions we would like your input on. First, we were unable to obtain accommodation at L'Esprit du Chemin since they don't open until late March. Any recommedations for a place at St. Jean Pied de Port? I have read many of the blog items but don't recall a discussion of services in the albergues. Since we are doing a dry run on packing your assistance is requested. For example, should we bring a towel...or is that provided. Also, should we bring our own soap or is that available. Any other recommendation regarding what we should bringh
for the albergues is appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For albergues, bring everything you would bring to go camping except cooking equipment, a tent, and a sleeping mat. You will need a towel, a sleeping sack/bag, soap, laundry soap, sleepwear, cup, etc.

If you plan to stay exclusively in hotels and pensions, they will provide towels, linens, soap, and a glass.

Falcon has it right as usual! Albergue is a nice word for youth hostel type facilities-not all pilgrims learn to appreciate the rather basic human comforts provided although the camaraderie does make up for a lot . Do be careful with your laundry and towels, all too easy in the excitement of the moment to walk away leaving them still on the line hanging out to dry. Do consider one of those microfiber camping towels, they dry very quickly may be packed away soon after use and are not usually forgotten since they are expensive.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here is the useful Eroski listing for pilgrim albergues on the Camino. >>http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergues/. Etapa 1 lists those in SJPdP and Roncevalles. I have always stayed in the simple Municipal Albergue which they list here >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-accueil-pelerin.

Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay, but they do NOT take reservations. You access this in Saint-Jean via the office for the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. They can provide you with Credentials, shells and on site lodging assistance. If their albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are in the office. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Since you are arriving mid March you should easily find bunks once in SJPdP with the Amis help.

Bon chemin and Buen Camino to you both,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you all for your comments. They are very helpful, indeed.

Hi. My daughter Georgia and I are leaving SJPP on 21st March to start our pilgrimage. I looked everywhere, and finally booked into Errecaldia B&B, deciding on a night of luxury without concern for washing too many things before we leave in the morning. Tim has contacted me and I feel reassured that I have a place ready for us, as our train arrives at 7.30pm.
We will have a look around SJPP, go to the pilgrims office (though we have had our credentials for nearly 3 years!!!) get lots of advice, re-pack our overladen packs and walk as far as Orisson. We are in no manner of hurry whatsoever. Georgia is young, and I am broken. We hope to see you along the way :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Regarding a towell, you will need one for sure. However, be careful on the type you bring. For me, I wouldn't want to carry the usual cotton towel we enjoy from home.

For years, I would use the microfiber backpacking type of towel. These are extremely lightweight, dry quickly, clean easily, pack small. A quick search of "backpacking towel" will bring several options and sizes. They really do work great.

For the past several years of travel, I have been carrying a sarong and don't like to go anywhere without it. It is perfect for me because it does the same as the backpacking towel plus MUCH more. Even for a guy like me, a sarong works wonders. With that in mind, I only travel during warmer months, so I don't need a towel for warmth necessarily. Might be the only downfall of the sarong.

The point being, a cotton towel can take up too much space in your pack, be heavier, and take forever to dry in cooler months. Pew!

May you and your wife have the best of all journeys.

try to fing the largest micofibre towel you can...mine said large and would barely go round my waist which made certain times of the day comical.My son went for exra large due to his long hair...he was able to peg it to frames on bunk beds and turn bottom bunks into mini cabins....this year i will borrow his!

Thanks for the info...we did purchase microfiber towels but made the mistake of purchasing the Large. You're right about the size. Will likely return them for the XLarge. :) We will be starting on March 15th so we will likely miss you and your daughter...however, Buen Camino. We fly into San Sebastian and spend a day. We then arrive in SJPDP on the 14th so we can spend the day before departure. Our night in San Sebastian will be in a hotel and will give us the time to "gear up" and relax, like you. We are very much looking forward to this pilgrimage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Checked out your website, Ivar. Looks to be a very useful one...can't wait for the reviews on the albergues. Thanks for your effort!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back