• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Theft

linkster

¡Nunca dejes de creer!
Time of past OR future Camino
We have all read the good advice from seasoned travellers on strategies to keep our stuff safe. I have a friend on the Norte that got clipped on Saturday. He is travelling with his wife. Long story, but they ended up with more cash then they should have had and stashed some in their pack. They knew better, but they were glad to be back on the Camino after a long hiatus. We focus on the journey. We open ourselves up and become more vulnerable. We will be in a communal environment with many that share our love of the Camino. BUT, we do need to remain vigilant in the protection of our stuff.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Aw man, that really sucks, hopefully as the earlier post, the increase is just due to more people reporting than an actual rise. Looking back, I was fortunate as I hid a credit card and €200 in my pack and came out unscathed. Not in the future me thinks. Better safe than sorry

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Aw man, that really sucks, hopefully as the earlier post, the increase is just due to more people reporting than an actual rise. Looking back, I was fortunate as I hid a credit card and €200 in my pack and came out unscathed. Not in the future me thinks. Better safe than sorry
What happened?!

We have all read the good advice from seasoned travellers on strategies to keep our stuff safe. I have a friend on the Norte that got clipped on Saturday. He is travelling with his wife. Long story, but they ended up with more cash then they should have had and stashed some in their pack. They knew better, but they were glad to be back on the Camino after a long hiatus. We focus on the journey. We open ourselves up and become more vulnerable. We will be in a communal environment with many that share our love of the Camino. BUT, we do need to remain vigilant in the protection of our stuff.
I can see why thieves would focus their efforts on the Camino. Lots of people staying in relative insecure accommodation, guard down because of the lovely surroundings and people, and a heightened sense of well being, many that are more affluent than the average, carrying cash due to staying in small towns with little ATM coverage, tired, and checking in and out of hostels everyday. People travelling alone. iPads abound to blog the trip. Contrast that with a weeks stay in a major hotel brand with a safety deposit box!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.