• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue tips that they don't put in guides

Dash

Here's a few tips for new pilgrims or maybe some veterans.

Lemming effect : just because everyone is in line to use a shower or wash basin or anything else for that matter does not mean it's the best or only one. Many times there are other options available but everyone thinks the one in use is the only option because there is a line of people waiting to use it.

If you are sleeping by a window plan on someone in the wee hours to get out of bed and open it no matter what the temperature is outside.

If you are sleeping by a window and you hear bells in towers clanging every hour do not assume they will stop in the early evening if ever.

Bottom bunks are always the one most sought out by pilgrims. It can be difficult to get up to the top bunk after a long days walk and painful coming down for that late night tinkle.

Private Albergues usually take reservations. You can have your hospitalero from where your staying call ahead for you and set up your next night so you won't have to worry about getting a bed at the next stop.

Don't assume the person before you properly cleaned the kitchen items appropriately.

If you go by the popular guide books recommended stops, expect those albergues to have more competition for beds.

Ear plugs are noise dampers not noise stoppers.

The pilgrim scolding you for not being quiet when your unpacking and they're resting at 14:00 will be louder than you when they're packing and leaving at 05:00.

Instead of getting perturbed at your fellow pilgrims obnoxious albergue behavior realize that they just gave you something to talk about over your Cafe Con Leche in the morning. You will laugh about it then; trust me.

Albergue it's pronounced > All-Bur-Gay

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Lemming effect : just because everyone is in line to use a shower or wash basin or anything else for that matter does not mean it's the best or only one. Many times there are other options available but everyone thinks the one in use is the only option because there is a line of people waiting to use it.

If you are sleeping by a window plan on someone in the wee hours to get out of bed and open it no matter what the temperature is outside.

If you are sleeping by a window and you hear bells in towers clanging every hour do not assume they will stop in the early evening if ever.

Bottom bunks are always the one most sought out by pilgrims. It can be difficult to get up to the top bunk after a long days walk and painful coming down for that late night tinkle.

Private Albregues usually take reservations. You can have your hospitalero from where your staying call ahead for you and set up your next night so you won't have to worry about getting a bed at the next stop.

Don't assume the person before you properly cleaned the kitchen items appropriately.

If you go by the popular guide books recommended stops, expect those albergues to have more competition for beds.

The pilgrim scolding you for not being quiet when your unpacking and they're resting at 14:00 will be louder than you when they're packing and leaving at 05:00.

Instead of getting perturbed at your fellow pilgrims obnoxious albergue behavior realize that they just gave you something to talk about over your Cafe Con Leche in the morning. You will laugh about it then; trust me.

Well, your pronounciation of Albergue surely isn't corrrect. I don't know where you've picked it.

And I won't comment on your other observation since I'm more than sure that they're exactly that - observations.

Ultreia!

Um, that's how I pronounce alburgue.... How should it be pronounced?

Ok, on this one I say that all too often some freakish older person thinks that a "chill" in the night will cause a swift death hence they close the windows and force the rest of us to secumb to a suffocating mixture of ben-gay and flatulence. Yes, I will be the one opening the window, no matter what the temperature outside, because seriously, inside our high tech lightweight sleeping bags and liners its quite comfortable. Glad you understand. : )

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For some inexplicable reason the hospitalero in the albergue in Castrojeriz had cranked up the heater and the room was a veritable furnace. Who could possibly sleep in that heat? After getting the okay from a few pilgrims I opened both windows to clear the stifling atmosphere and replace it with the wonderfully refreshing cool outside air. When the hospitalero returned he went ballistic, going on about "frio en la mañana." Everything settled down, someone closed both windows, the night passed uneventfully and it wasn't "frio en la mañana" one little bit.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OK, you can see it this way too, but "albergue" is a Spanish word and we, forigners, should at least try to pronounce it correctly :)
Which is..................?
When I pointed to the written word 'albergue' on a piece of paper, and asked the woman at the hotel desk in Pamplona, "Como se dice, por favor?" she responded, "Al-BEAR-gay," with a roll of the 'r.'

@MichaelSG
Well, certainly it isn't: All - bur - gay.
It doesn't starts with ALL, like in "all the things..." it's simple AL, like "Al the optimist".
The middle is, as someone already posted, more like BEAR or simple BER (this was posted too).
The end surely isn't GAY, like "gay" for homosexual person, it's simple GE, but you don't pronounce G like at the beginning of "general" or "geography" rather like in the middle of "regular" or "regret"
I would put it down as AL - BER - GE
You can listen at it here:
https://www.wordkiwi.com/pronounce-albergue
and try to write it phonetically.

The IPA transcription is:
albergue - al´βeɾɣe

;)

@MichaelSG
Well, certainly it isn't: All - bur - gay.
It doesn't starts with ALL, like in "all the things..." it's simple AL, like "Al the optimist".
The middle is, as someone already posted, more like BEAR or simple BER (this was posted too).
The end surely isn't GAY, like "gay" for homosexual person, it's simple GE, but you don't pronounce G like at the beginning of "general" or "geography" rather like in the middle of "regular" or "regret"
I would put it down as AL - BER - GE
You can listen at it here:
https://www.wordkiwi.com/pronounce-albergue
and try to write it phonetically.

The IPA transcription is:
albergue - al´βeɾɣe

;)

Come on.surely you have to take most of our attempts with a pinch of salt ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I suppose Spaanish speaking people have solved an age old problem that English speaking people have troubled over. I can think of lots of words that sound different as spoken by a New Zealander or a Brit or an American. Heck, I can think of lots or words that sound different as spoken by a Bostonian, an Atlantan or a New Yorker. Come to think of it, people from Staten Island say words differently from people from the Bronx and Queens. Maybe the Spanish need to teach us their secret.

I suppose Spaanish speaking people have solved an age old problem that English speaking people have troubled over. I can think of lots of words that sound different as spoken by a New Zealander or a Brit or an American. Heck, I can think of lots or words that sound different as spoken by a Bostonian, an Atlantan or a New Yorker. Come to think of it, people from Staten Island say words differently from people from the Bronx and Queens. Maybe the Spanish need to teach us their secret.
As a non-native English language speaking person I tried to help. You asked, I answered.
It's not about accents it's about norms that every written (and most spoken) language has.

Wish you a nice day!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a non-native English language speaking person I tried to help. You asked, I answered.
It's not about accents it's about norms that every written (and most spoken) language has.

Wish you a nice day!

I understand that there are "dictionary" ways of saying words in all languages. I was just pointing out that perhaps Spanish may be like English in that not everyone says every word the exact same way. Language is about communication and being understood. I understand what a Kiwi is saying when he invited me to stand on his dick and I didn't tell him he is saying the word wrong because it's right for him. I would not be surprised to learn if there are some Spaniards who pronounce "albergue" every way noted above (and soon below!)

...that said, I doubt there are any Spanish that pronounce it how I did for the first two weeks of my Camino, i.e., AL-ber-jay

Last edited:
I understand that there are "dictionary" ways of saying words in all languages. I was just pointing out that perhaps Spanish may be like English in that not everyone says every word the exact same way. Language is about communication and being understood. I understand what a Kiwi is saying when he invited me to stand on his dick and I didn't tell him he is saying the word wrong because it's right for him. I would not be surprised to learn if there are some Spaniards who pronounce "albergue" every way noted above (and soon below!)
.....stand on his deck ...... Right? Took me a while to figure that. :D:D:D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here are a few non idiomatic and more practical tips re choosing a bunk gleaned from more than 450 cumulative nights spent in pilgrim albergues over the past 10 years. Since I'm old a bottom bunk is a most convenient and in this internet age it is handy to have an electric socket close by.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Try not to take a bunk set side by side with another unless you truly know your bunk-mate; if you are sleeping next to a total stranger do at least introduce yourself! Generally it all works out as everyone sleeps in their own allotted space like peas in a pod. Nevertheless a few unhappy times I have had to find another bunk in the middle of the night due to a consistently overactive neighboring pilgrim who forgot where he was (and that I was old enough to be his grandmother) as he zealously thrashed into 'my' bunk space. Although memorable these were not restful moments.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Nevertheless a few unhappy times I have had to find another bunk in the middle of the night due to a consistently overactive neighboring pilgrim who forgot where he was (and that I was old enough to be his grandmother) as he zealously thrashed into 'my' bunk space. Although memorable these were not restful moments.

It would have been a lot more fun to have awakened him, let him feast his eyes on your grandmotherly countenance, and watched HIM run to find another bunk. :p

If you stay at an Albergue with a decent kitchen, look at what previous pilgrims have left behind such as oil, salt, pepper, rice, pasta, and other food stuff before you go to the supermercado.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Try being from Maine..ayuh!

If you stay at an Albergue with a decent kitchen, look at what previous pilgrims have left behind such as oil, salt, pepper, rice, pasta, and other food stuff before you go to the supermercado.

To be honest, I left that stuff alone, just in case it was left by a current pilgrim.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To be honest, I left that stuff alone, just in case it was left by a current pilgrim.

If you get there when it opens, then you'll know if it was left behind. I too wouldn't want someone taking my food.
When I stayed at La Faba, the hospitalero showed us to the kitchen and let us know that the food left behind was fair game.

Re the window open/closed: Please, if you don't want it open, don't choose a bunk next to the window or even ask to have one away from it so you don't get any draught or chill from it. If you do want it open, get as close to it as you can so that you can enjoy the fresh air and be in charge of opening it (and keeping it open). I don't know why some people are so afraid of the night air; Scandinavians in particular tend to sleep with open windows even in the depth of winter because fresh air is considered healthy, plus I always find oxygen a real benefit - even at night.

Also consider the benefit of the top bunk: You can sit up straight and bed bugs have further to crawl! I learned to love the top bunk and chose it even when bottom ones were available.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok I think I got it El Kinky One I Say it like this :

18869.jpg o78k5fogx5g3hdy6peai_400x400.jpeg
97px-Gay_flag.svg.png

AL Bear Gay

Gracious Amigo

Private Albregues usually take reservations. You can have your hospitalero from where your staying call ahead for you and set up your next night so you won't have to worry about getting a bed at the next stop.

Thanks for the pronunciation! I have been wondering since i began my planning - 4 months to go!
Buen Camino my friend.

I ask a Mexican I know how to pronounce Spanish words. When I asked him to tell me the pronunciation of Albergue my American ear heard "al ver gay." I said it that way and he turned to another Mexican and said that Americans always get the "al" wrong. He said "al" as in the first syllable of "Oliver." He made me repeat it over and over again. And yes, he made a "v" sound for the "b." So, according to this Mexican it is "Ol ver gay." Just thought I'd throw that in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I ask a Mexican I know how to pronounce Spanish words. When I asked him to tell me the pronunciation of Albergue my American ear heard "al ver gay." I said it that way and he turned to another Mexican and said that Americans always get the "al" wrong. He said "al" as in the first syllable of "Oliver." He made me repeat it over and over again. And yes, he made a "v" sound for the "b." So, according to this Mexican it is "Ol ver gay." Just thought I'd throw that in.
Just starting to learn a bit of Spanish and I get so anal about pronunciation that I actually pause between syllables to run through the rules... Several sources say Spanish 'b' and 'v' are the same. I think maybe they don't use our labio dental (teeth against bottom lip) sounds at all. So 'v' and 'f' would actually be voiced and unvoiced bi labials. Well that's the working hypothesis. Riveting, no?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My name is David and I am a window opener - there, revealed myself.
I sleep with my windows open every night of the year, heating off, windows open - marvellous!
LOVE your confession, David. I too am addicted to open windows at night - but my husband is not!! Grhhhhhhhh!
Suzanne :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am a 5th generation Texan and I was raised in Mexico. My mother was an Anglo from Mississippi who was a Spanish and French and Latin Professor - and when I am in Spain people think I am Italian because of the way I speak Spanish. In Mexico they think I am from Spain. (In Texas they think I am from California.)

I am a 5th generation Texan and I was raised in Mexico. My mother was an Anglo from Mississippi who was a Spanish and French and Latin Professor - and when I am in Spain people think I am Italian because of the way I speak Spanish. In Mexico they think I am from Spain. (In Texas they think I am from California.)
In California I am Hispanic. In Texas I am a Mexican. In New York I am Puerto Rican. In Florida I am Cuban. I have always thought of myself as an Amerian with Spanish heritage and who happens to be married to a stubborn Irishman from Northern Ireland. In Spain I am just a pilgrim. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have lived in the U.K. for half a century but have never lost my Irish accent,everyone I speak to knows I'm Irish.Yet when I go back to Ireland,everyone automatically asks what part of the U.K. I am from,hence the "Irish Scouse"title.On the Camino I am a proud Irish Catholic

In California I am Hispanic. In Texas I am a Mexican. In New York I am Puerto Rican. In Florida I am Cuban. I have always thought of myself as an Amerian with Spanish heritage and who happens to be married to a stubborn Irishman from Northern Ireland. In Spain I am just a pilgrim. Buen Camino.
:)
ben detto!
well said.... on the camino we are 'just' peregrinos/as
grazie -
and hope you are enjoying this fine rainweather as well ... (greetings from across the bay)

I have lived in the U.K. for half a century but have never lost my Irish accent,everyone I speak to knows I'm Irish.Yet when I go back to Ireland,everyone automatically asks what part of the U.K. I am from,hence the "Irish Scouse"title.On the Camino I am a proud Irish Catholic
thanks for that interesting impromptu lesson - thought that 'irish scouse' is some sort of a goose / bird.
then checked dictionary, and oh brother, was i wrong :)
it's apparently a dialect of Merseyside... - Well now - what was i thinking? not much apparently. live and learn. this forum is simply a treasure in many respects and aspects! thanks again.

So, according to this Mexican it is "Ol ver gay." Just thought I'd throw that in.
Yeah, no. Al is Al, Ol is ol. Now, yes, the V and B thing is a mess. "Vay grande", "Vay chica", "Ou Vay"

Like the C, S and Z. Another mess ;0)

Ok, on this one I say that all too often some freakish older person thinks that a "chill" in the night will cause a swift death hence they close the windows and force the rest of us to secumb to a suffocating mixture of ben-gay and flatulence. Yes, I will be the one opening the window, no matter what the temperature outside, because seriously, inside our high tech lightweight sleeping bags and liners its quite comfortable. Glad you understand. : )
Hey there I am mature and am not a freakish about windows being open..in fact most times it's the younger ones that have to have the d..... window closed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For what it's worth, one of the things I love most about the Spanish language is that each vowel has a single pronunciation. Unlike English, where an 'e' can be 'eh', 'ee', 'uh', and numerous others, every time you see an 'e' in Spanish, it's pronounced 'eh'. There's definitely regional differences, like the z's and the previously mentioned b's, but you can determine how to pronounce every Spanish word just by looking at it, which is something that my Puerto Rican wife loves to remind me whenever she mispronounces an English word. ;)

Al-bear-gay!

--dave

For what it's worth, one of the things I love most about the Spanish language is that each vowel has a single pronunciation. Unlike English, where an 'e' can be 'eh', 'ee', 'uh', and numerous others, every time you see an 'e' in Spanish, it's pronounced 'eh'. There's definitely regional differences, like the z's and the previously mentioned b's, but you can determine how to pronounce every Spanish word just by looking at it, which is something that my Puerto Rican wife loves to remind me whenever she mispronounces an English word. ;)

Al-bear-gay!

--dave
You're right about that! My mother also taught ESL - and she reminded me once when I as whining about Spanish lessons that I wasn't dealing with learning: cough, trough, through/though/threw, thought/taught/taut, draught/raft, drought/bout. Phew! Or...Whew!
Whatever else you may be dealing with in Spanish - you at least always know how to pronounce it.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You're right about that! My mother also taught ESL - and she reminded me once when I as whining about Spanish lessons that I wasn't dealing with learning: cough, trough, through/though/threw, thought/taught/taut, draught/raft, drought/bout. Phew! Or...Whew!
Whatever else you may be dealing with in Spanish - you at least always know how to pronounce it.
Verb conjugation on the other hand... ;)

I can think of lots of words that sound different as spoken by a New Zealander or a Brit or an American. Heck, I can think of lots or words that sound different as spoken by a Bostonian, an Atlantan or a New Yorker. Come to think of it, people from Staten Island say words differently from people from the Bronx and Queens. Maybe the Spanish need to teach us their secret.

There are many words that are pronounced differently depending on the variant of Spanish that you speak but I think albergue is a word that most(many?) Spanish speakers would pronounce the same way (or in a very similar way) although, of course, each one with his/her accent.

She made the last /e/ too long. In other words, it sounds odd to the ears of a native Castilian Spanish speaker like me. The pronounciation on the link provided by KinkyOne is (much) better.

He said "al" as in the first syllable of "Oliver." He made me repeat it over and over again. And yes, he made a "v" sound for the "b." So, according to this Mexican it is "Ol ver gay."

I would have liked to hear the pronounciation of that Mexican. I can't think of a Spanish speaker pronouncing an /a/ like an /o/ and, of course, that includes Mexicans too.

Regarding the v/b pronounciation see my next paragraph.

Several sources say Spanish 'b' and 'v' are the same.

The RAE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Academia_Española) and the language academies of other Spanish speaking countries say they must be pronounced the same way and most people make it that way. It doesn't mean they are pronounced exactly the same way in all countries (and within all countries) and it doesn't mean either you can't find some people pronouncing the "v" as a labio dental phoneme (either due to influence of local languages where it's said that way and the speaker borrows that pronounciation when speaking Spanish or due to the influence of some philologists that suggested to make it that way to differenciate it from the "b" even when the RAE said it shouldn't be pronounced that way).

I think maybe they don't use our labio dental (teeth against bottom lip) sounds at all. So 'v' and 'f' would actually be voiced and unvoiced bi labials.

We make a labio dental sound when pronouncing the /f/.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are many words that are pronounced differently depending on the variant of Spanish that you speak but I think albergue is a word that most(many?) Spanish speakers would pronounce the same way (or in a very similar way) although, of course, each one with his/her accent.
But don't those accents change how the word is pronounced. I giggled when I saw someone said the first syllable of albergue should be pronounced as "all" and others corrected them - not because I thought it was either right or wrong - but because we may be pronouncing "all" differently! If the person writing that original post happened to be from parts of northern Louisiana, they may have written it as "oil-bear-gay" and everyone else would really be scratching their heads.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
But don't those accents change how the word is pronounced. I giggled when I saw someone said the first syllable of albergue should be pronounced as "all" and others corrected them - not because I thought it was either or wrong - but because we may be pronouncing "all" differently! If the person writing that original post happened to be from parts of northern Louisiana, they may have written it as "oil-bear-gay" and everyone else would really be scratching their heads.
No, no, it is Al (as in the optimist) Bear ( as in the animal) and Gue as in happy ;0) Doesn't matter what bit of the world you are from. As for accents, yes, big time differences. Spanish is my mother tongue but when I went to work in Paraguay it took me 3-4 days to undertand that accent. Chilean TV: 2 days. Buenos Aires: no time, because it is castellano spoken with Italian intonations.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I would have liked to hear the pronounciation of that Mexican. I can't think of a Spanish speaker pronouncing an /a/ like an /o/ and, of course, that includes Mexicans too.

The RAE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Academia_Española) and the language academies of other Spanish speaking countries say they must be pronounced the same way and most people make it that way. It doesn't mean they are pronounced exactly the same way in all countries (and within all countries) and it doesn't mean either you can't find some people pronouncing the "v" as a labio dental phoneme (either due to influence of local languages where it's said that way and the speaker borrows that pronounciation when speaking Spanish or due to the influence of some philologists that suggested to make it that way to differenciate it from the "b" even when the RAE said it shouldn't be pronounced that way).

We make a labio dental sound when pronouncing the /f/.

Most interesting, thank you. Are there typical mistakes native English speakers make, the kind you would use to parody the way we mangle your beautiful language?

Apropos Oliver, I think many (but not all!) American speakers tend to pronounce the short 'o' more like 'ah' sometimes, e.g. hot, got, etc. so maybe that explains the Mexican speaker's advice to s. brown.

But don't those accents change how the word is pronounced.

In the case of albergue, basically, they just change intonation. If we are picky, we could say that phonetics too but that would be due to allophones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allophone) that are too subtle for the average speaker (in other words most speakers won't realize about the allophones and will consider that, fonetically, they are pronouncing it the same way). In fact, if we take allophones too seriously, even a single speaker pronounces a word differently each time s/he pronounces it...

I giggled when I saw someone said the first syllable of albergue should be pronounced as "all" and others corrected them - not because I thought it was either right or wrong - but because we may be pronouncing "all" differently!

You might be right (see my paragraph above) but, overall, pronounciation among Spanish speakers is much more similar (most/many times, as in the case of albergue, differences are just subtle allophones that the average speaker won't consider a difference) than pronounciation among English speakers.

Buenos Aires: no time, because it is castellano spoken with Italian intonations.

It isn't castellano (Castilian) but castellano rioplatense (Rioplatense Castilian). Phonetically, the main difference between both accents would be the way the digraph "ll" is pronounced. Gramatically, the main difference would be the widespread use of voseo in Rioplatense Spanish (inexistent in Castilian Spanish except in a rarely used sentence to respond to a greeting). Rioplatense intonation is very distintive of that accent and quite different from other intonations of Spanish what makes it easy to recognize.

Are there typical mistakes native English speakers make

Wrong use of ser and estar and using mucho instead of muy are two frequent mistakes. But making mistakes when speaking a foreign language is normal for people that isn't bilingual. I'm the first one who makes tons of (both gramatical and phonetical) mistakes when I use English.

Most interesting, thank you. Are there typical mistakes native English speakers make, the kind you would use to parody the way we mangle your beautiful language?

Apropos Oliver, I think many (but not all!) American speakers tend to pronounce the short 'o' more like 'ah' sometimes, e.g. hot, got, etc. so maybe that explains the Mexican speaker's advice to s. brown.
You are absolutely correct. Thank you for clarifying this. The "o" in Oliver is more like "ah." Add the "l" and you get "ahl", which is how I pronounced albergue to my Mexican friend and he approved. With more thought I guess if you add the "b" it is rather like "ahlb" as in Albany New York. Then again, I fully admit to having a "bad ear." I was an honor student in high school but got mediocre grades in my two years of Spanish. Then in college I took two years of French and got the same mediocre grades. I can't sing either. I simply attribute it all to having a "bad ear." I never should have contributed to this thread. I have no business commenting on foreign word pronouncements! I work with a French woman (and I lived in Paris) and you should see the looks she gives me when I say something in French! I'll stay out of this thread now.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And the Albany in Western Australia is pronounced 'Al-bany.' ['Al' as in @Al the optimist] :D
Really? I can barely get over Derby being pronounced Dirby rather than Darby. But I'm a Kiwi by birth from Dunedin who has been in the Top End for almost half my life. I don't have an accent in either language ;)

€46,-

I had a long debate with an older woman from Germany on my last Camino who insisted that the window and door of the albergue room be closed (that particular albergue was divided into 3-4 rooms with about 10 beds each connected by a hallway). Everyone else wanted the window and door open, but she said the night air will get her sick and it was a proven medical fact, and when I said democracy rules and they would stay open she stated "nein, no democracy!" (she really said that). Hmmm.....anyway, I told her that she was being medieval and I would pop the pins out the door hinges and place the door in the hallway until morning if I had to. At that point she capitulated, but I slept with one eye open on a top bunk and thankfully I never saw her again.
It seems to me that the room being completely closed up would actually be more unhealthy with germs and such.

Really? I can barely get over Derby being pronounced Dirby rather than Darby. But I'm a Kiwi by birth from Dunedin who has been in the Top End for almost half my life. I don't have an accent in either language ;)
G'day Donna - well 50 million English people will tell you its "DARBY"- but 1.3 million Sand Gropers (that's West Australians) will tell you even more loudly its DIRBY. During my time in aviation it was always a joy to hear the Aussie on air-ground responding with DIRBY when called by the BOAC/Brittish Airways pilot addressing them as DARBY.;):):rolleyes:

G'day Donna - well 50 million English people will tell you its "DARBY"- but 1.3 million Sand Gropers (that's West Australians) will tell you even more loudly its DIRBY. During my time in aviation it was always a joy to hear the Aussie on air-ground responding with DIRBY when called by the BOAC/Brittish Airways pilot addressing them as DARBY.;):):rolleyes:
G'day Mike,

Good one! Derby in NW of Western Australia is always "Derby" and those who pronounce it "Darby" are quickly and roundly corrected. Similarly Jervis Bay just south of you is just that to the locals, although I think named after Lord "Jarvis".

But we have our own idiosyncrasies so we can't throw stones! Yaouk, near Adaminaby is pronounced "Yiyack", Boboyan in the same vicinity is "Bobeyang", Gnoo Gnoo near Tamworth is "Gunna Gunoo". Cairns in North Queensland is "Cans" to the locals and those who (like me) love the place. But sometimes the newer generation are a bit slow to learn or just plain stubborn (or perhaps it's me). Boorowa on the way from Canberra to Cowra is pronounced such by the under 50's but to those of my generation it will always be "Burrewa", the original and to me correct pronunciation.

But hark at our national broadcaster! Last night the usual references to "Chilay". The one thing that's really stuck in my thick skull in numerous attempts to learn a bit of Spanish is that the vowels are always pronounced the same way, "E" being "Eh" not "Ay". I might write them a letter. It will help confirm my grumpy old man status.

De colores

Bogong

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I forgot to put this tip in my first post.

After checking into your habitacion :), it is easy to get complacent after your shower, laundry, dinner and of course vino tinto. One thing you should do is walk a little with out the pack so that the lactic acid does not build up in your muscles. When doing this, it is the perfect time to figure out your escape route to the camino for the next day. It makes for a pleasant start to your morning walking out the door and knowing exactly where your going. Sounds logical, but you would be surprised how many pilgrims have that bewildered look in the morning of which way do I go.

Dash,
Please tell us a little bit more about lactic acid in muscles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dash,
Please tell us a little bit more about lactic acid in muscles.
Lactic acid is released into the muscles when they have used up their normal energy stores but still have intense energy needs. Small amounts of lactic acid operate as a temporary energy source, thus helping you avoid fatigue during a workout. However, a build up of lactic acid during a workout can create burning sensations in the muscles that can slow down or halt your athletic activity. For this reason, it may be desirable to reduce lactic acid build up in the muscles.

I speak Esperanto like a native -
Albergue, in Esperanto, is Gastejo. Refugio is Rifuĝo -
Peregrino is Pilgrimanto and Peregrina is Pilgrimantino

I am sure that these will words will come in handy (if ever playing Scrabble in Esperanto)

p.s. I don't really speak Esperanto

€60,-
I'm going to guess here...Festinhaw and Margdalin
Fanshaw! Maudlin!!

The genius of weird British pronunciations is that they are unguessable, even by UK natives. I got Fanshaw from an episode of QI in which none of the Brit panellists knew all of the words.

Addendum: this pronunciation of Magdalen is just for the university colleges. The noun 'magdalen' is said as you would expect.

Al-bur-gay??? *shivers* Are some of you serious? Good lord... What do the haw-spit-all-earah and the other pelly-grimms think about that? They might send you te the Goo-ar-deeah civil!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Al-bur-gay??? *shivers* Are some of you serious? Good lord... What do the haw-spit-all-earah and the other pelly-grimms think about that? They might send you te the Goo-ar-deeah civil!
Dear, dear, 'h' is always silent in español. Awspeetahlairah for a lady.

I ask a Mexican I know how to pronounce Spanish words. When I asked him to tell me the pronunciation of Albergue my American ear heard "al ver gay." I said it that way and he turned to another Mexican and said that Americans always get the "al" wrong. He said "al" as in the first syllable of "Oliver." He made me repeat it over and over again. And yes, he made a "v" sound for the "b." So, according to this Mexican it is "Ol ver gay." Just thoug

ht I'd throw that in.
Forgive the intrusion. I am just a freakish old person and not worthy of your consideration. Your generation obviously has more knowledge about all things technical and therefor have every right to impose your desires on the rest of the world. In another post it's said a person is not worthy of courtesy if asleep at 2:00 pm .the writer implying that he/she would go out of their way to make noise.

Makes me wonder about where the sense of values comes from. Certainly not from any Camino that I know.
As for the pronunciation...great fun but I'm sure some overprivileged legend anti senior will dictate how we have to say it and then go wake up Asa many malingering seniors as possible with their hi tech shopping bags because they just don't listen! Old ditties can't hear anyway. Who do they think they are forming opinions and expressing them in an open forum. Shame on us!

Fanshaw! Maudlin!!

The genius of weird British pronunciations is that they are unguessable, even by UK natives. I got Fanshaw from an episode of QI in which none of the Brit panellists knew all of the words.

Addendum: this pronunciation of Magdalen is just for the university colleges. The noun 'magdalen' is said as you would expect.
Sat between two young Liverpudlians having a conversation in a steam room today,despite living in Liverpool for over a dozen years ,I could only understand one word in ten.All you "from other lands" haven't got a hope.

It is All BER Gue. And older people aren't the only ones who are freakish.... just sayin'.
Cheers!
Jill
Well, actually it is not, but don't want to go into that once more as we have already been through that extensively ;)

Ultreia!

OMG I thought this thread died long ago... but alas... I have offended, and I am sorry for it. Some explanation:
Ok, on this one I say that all too often some freakish older person thinks that a "chill" in the night will cause a swift death hence they close the windows and force the rest of us to secumb to a suffocating mixture of ben-gay and flatulence.

I should have omitted the word "older" in hindsight. In my experience the vast majority of even older perigrinos cringe at the thought of succumbing to a trapped atmosphere of farts and topical creams. Only the rare bird insists on sealing the chamber, and in my experience, those persons have tended to be of the older variety, though they are certainly freakish no matter what their age.

Last edited:
OMG I thought this thread died long ago... but alas... I have offended, and I am sorry for it. Some explanation:

I should have omitted the word "older" in hindsight. In my experience the vast majority of even older perigrinos cringe at the thought of succumbing to a trapped atmosphere of farts and topical creams. Only the rare bird insists on sealing the chamber, and in my experience, those persons have tended to be of the older variety, though they are certainly freakish no matter what their age.

Thank you, Damien. And expect an over-the-knee sound spanking next time I see you. :)

Private Albergues usually take reservations. You can have your hospitalero from where your staying call ahead for you and set up your next night so you won't have to worry about getting a bed at the next stop.

It's a dorm not a bedroom. Dorms by their very nature are noisy. You can't expect a bunch of strangers to synronize to your schedule or habits. People come from all over the world to walk the way and will have different views and customs regarding habits and behavior. Except it.
I'm 66, I prefer a bottom bunk for obvious reasons but if the lowers are taken, I get over it. I also like a bunk close to a window and I will open it, close by or not. If someone closes it, I'll reopen it. A bunch of people in a small room put out a lot of hot moist air. If you find staying in albergues stressful you can always try a pension or B&B or hotel. I consider the albergues the best part of the caminos. The people and commerodity can be found no place else except maybe a bar and your drunk.. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

UT, then you won't be upset if I keep closing the window, will you?
There is a phenomenon in silent meditation retreats called 'window wars.' In albergues too.
It's astonishing how much one can communicate without speech by the way one closes a window...or opens it! And how quickly things can escalate from slightly too-vigorous opening and closing to full on slamming.
:D
(Michael not at all implying you might do this...it was just free association to a funny memory...)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.