• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Tomas in Manjarin

ezbeer

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 C.F.
2016 C.F.
2018 C.P.
2019 C. Salvador + C. Primitivo
Hello my Camino friends,
I well into planning my 3rd Camino Franses at April 2018. I am considering staying in Manjarin.
Can you please share your experience from staying in the albergue in Manjarin?
I know that the place has no running water, no showers, no sinks, but I am not worry about comfort, I am looking more for the camino spirit.
Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi there Ez,
Tomas had some major health problems a while back so I'm not sure if he is still active at Manjarin.
What I can tell you about was my experience in 2003 ........ Absolutely THE box to tick - I still think about his spartan Albergue to this day. It was a foot deep in snow and really cold at night but that was no problem as I was given 5 thick blankets. Tomas and his hospitaleroes fed 6 of us well with wine on the table where he sat as the head.
As far as Camino spirit is concerned , you don't get better than Manjarin - you will savour the experience for a lifetime!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
QUOTE="RENSHAW, post: 538849, member: 9936"]Hi there Ez,
Tomas had some major health problems a while back so I'm not sure if he is still active at Manjarin.
What I cam tell you was my experience in 2003 ........ Absolutely THE box to tick - I still think about his spartan Albergue to this day. It was a foot deep in snow and really cold at night but that was no problem as I was given 5 thick blankets. Tomas and his hospitaleroes fed 6 of us well with wine on the table where he sat as the head.
As far as Camino spirit is concerned , you don't get better than Manjarin - you will savour the experience for a lifetime![/QUOTE]
Hello my Camino friends,
I well into planning my 3rd Camino Franses at April 2018. I am considering staying in Manjarin.
I know that the place has no running water, no showers, no sinks, but I am not worry about comfort, I am looking more for the camino spirit.
Buen Camino!

Here is Tomás on June 24 of this year:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Recommended for everyone except Women of a Certain Age, who are not seen, greeted, spoken-to, or acknowledged by anyone there. Men, yes. Young women, certainly. But otherwise? No. You're invisible.
:p That's funny. When we walked by there in 2013, a Woman of a Certain Age emerged from the structure with the comment, "That is not the kind of place at which I need to stop." We continued on our way too.

yes, i have stayed there once a few years ago, before Tomas got ill, it was in november i was the only pilgrim,good food and was well treated. i had promised myself that one year i must stay at this place,it reminds us of what alberques were like, in the years of long before. yes its a must to stay here, you won't be dissapointed, but the memory will be engrained for ever.patrick brennan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've stopped by there a couple of times and found it somewhat interesting but I never had the sense of being super welcome. (I am of a certain age.) The first time was my first camino... I wasn't wearing enough layers, it was getting colder and sleet had started. I was so glad to find the shelter where I could re-layer my clothes and drink some hot tea, that I didn't care in the slightest what they thought of me! They were polite and provided what I needed. After warming up a bit, even though it was getting close to dusk, I also concluded that it was "not the kind of place at which I need to stop (for the night)." However, it was interesting and I enjoy the eccentricities of the camino.

Recommended for everyone except Women of a Certain Age, who are not seen, greeted, spoken-to, or acknowledged by anyone there. Men, yes. Young women, certainly. But otherwise? No. You're invisible.

Not my experience, I was always made very welcome, no matter if I stayed or walked on. And yes, that is over the ~20 years I know that place and Tomas. BC SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I as well am 'a woman of a certain age' (a phrase that I dislike immensely, truth be told--no one ever says 'a man of a certain age'.... but I digress....)

I stopped into Tomas's place last late fall and had a chat with his assistant, who was a lovely man and happy to chat.

Tomas came into the shelter(?), and I asked him how he was. I took his hand, held it and looked directly into his eyes while I asked his question. And continued to hold his hand between my two hands while he talked to me. I couldn't understand 100% of what he said, but he was very happy and animated when he talked. It was about 15-20 minutes, I think.

His assistant told me later that people come in, maybe grab food, maybe leave a donativo, look around, leave. He said I had stopped and given my time to Tomas, didn't rush away, didn't give the impression of needing to get away/leave. And he (the assistant) really appreciated that. He said that Tomas did as well. The fellow told me that what Tomas was talking about, telling me, was that he was 'reading' me as I was standing in front of him, holding his hand between my two hands. He (Tomas) said I had a yellow light all around me and that meant I was a healer. (I hadn't told him that I am a healthcare professional.)

It was one of the moments of this walk along the Camino that I remember with great fondness.

I didn't stay at Manjarin, but another time maybe.

My main memory of Tomas is from 2002 when he descended on Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal trying to drum up support to burn down the Municipal Refugio - and he wasn't joking!
A young student from Cadiz had died there of meningitis and Tomas thought the only way to cleanse the place was arson.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Which is ironic as the local authorities for years tried to shut down Tomás because his place failed to meet health standards.

Which is ironic as the local authorities for years tried to shut down Tomás because his place failed to meet health standards.
I know, pots and kettles etc. But we were concerned enough for Maria and her brother down at Pilar's to keep an eye open in case he came back with a can of petrol (gas) - but he meant well (I think!)

I as well am 'a woman of a certain age' (a phrase that I dislike immensely, truth be told--no one ever says 'a man of a certain age'.... but I digress....)

I thought the phrase was "a woman of uncertain age" which would apply to lots of women who look much younger than they are.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello my Camino friends,
Buen Camino!
I would have said no way. I did not like the look of the place so walked on. Having read some of the positive reports on here, I will change from no way to, will try that next year if Tomas is still there

I thought the phrase was "a woman of uncertain age" which would apply to lots of women who look much younger than they are.

Unfortunately, AJ, it is 'of certain age'.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.