A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Albergue Touristico Via de la Plata de Torremejia

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Does anyone know if this is open or closed now?
If open, is there a link or email address to make reservations?
Thanks.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Camino(s) past & future

Alburgue Rojo Plata is not the same albergue, and not as nice. I stayed at Albergue Touristico Via de la Plata de Torremejia in 2013, but can't find out if it is open this year. I understand it was being sold. Has anyone walked past it?

I think it is also called Lastra Palace?
albergue-de-torremejia.jpg

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
In June the Albergue Turistico (Palacio de Lastra) was still closed and no sign of re-opening. Private Albergue Rojo Plata is narrow, dark and rather expensive (12 € night + 3 € breakfast). They also try to convince you to book half-board at their Restaurant (+10 €). But it is no good bargain. Better go to Restaurante Alameda, which offers an excellent "menu del día" for nearly the same price.

Camino(s) past & future
In June the Albergue Turistico (Palacio de Lastra) was still closed and no sign of re-opening. Private Albergue Rojo Plata is narrow, dark and rather expensive (12 € night + 3 € breakfast). They also try to convince you to book half-board at their Restaurant (+10 €). But it is no good bargain. Better go to Restaurante Alameda, which offers an excellent "menu del día" for nearly the same price.
Thank you.
Well, I'm sad the Albergue Touristico is closed. It was a lovely place to stay. So looks like Rojo Plata is the only other option for lodging?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thank you.
Well, I'm sad the Albergue Touristico is closed. It was a lovely place to stay. So looks like Rojo Plata is the only other option for lodging?
I haven’t been in Torremejía for several years, but I was lucky and stayed in another private albergue, which seems to be closed now since it is not listed on gronze. I remember that this other albergue, whose name I cannot remember, was the subject of a lot of vicious underhandedness, like little kids on bikes coming out to tell peregrinos not to go there, etc. I didn’t stay in the Rojo Plata, but went to see some friends there, and agree completely with @Via2010.

I have also stayed in the Hotel Milenium, which is still listed in gronze, and my guess is that it is not that much more expensive than the Rojo. I liked it, and the people who had taken it over were very nice and trying to make it.

alansykes

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
On my first VdlP, back in 2010, I had my worst ever meal at the Rojo Plata. A combination of dreadful, greasy food and surly service that convinced me, as it was still relatively early, to slog on to Mérida. Which was an astonishing delight, and well worth the extra hours.

I've been back through Torremejia twice since, most recently in 2017, and had a caña at the Rojo both times and didn't enjoy either; once staying in the excellent Lastra, despite an almost offensively hard sell from the Rojo, and once carrying on to Mérida. Never having stayed at the Rojo, I have no right to judge it, but its restaurant certainly didn't make me want to stay there.

peregrina2000

Staff member
And a more general comment — what is it with Albergues Turísticos and Extremadura? There was also a BEAUTIFUL albergue turístico in an old olive oil “factory” outside Villafranca de los Barros. The place is called Almazara, and Gronze still has a dot to show where it is. The old olive oil press was there for viewing. I never stayed there, but took the small detour to see it once, and it was absolutely lovely. Too bad that these places are all closing.

Oppis

Camino(s) past & future
CF -15, VdlP -15, Sanabres-16. CP -17, Primitivo-17, Mozarabe-18, Norte-18, Sureste-19
We stayed a few days ago at albergue Rojo Plata. It’s officially closed for renovacions. They are making more doble rooms. But we got the key from Cafe Bar Rojo. There was nothing to complain. No disturbing after working time.
And we took the menu at Bar Rojo. Nothing to complain, too. In that case, take the bed and menu, you get the breakfast free. Opening already 5.30.
We were four persons together.

Camino(s) past & future
And a more general comment — what is it with Albergues Turísticos and Extremadura? There was also a BEAUTIFUL albergue turístico in an old olive oil “factory” outside Villafranca de los Barros. The place is called Almazara, and Gronze still has a dot to show where it is. The old olive oil press was there for viewing. I never stayed there, but took the small detour to see it once, and it was absolutely lovely. Too bad that these places are all closing.
Yesterday, I heard that Albergue Turistico was being taken over by the government? Could have just been gossip - but made sense as I believe it is a historic building?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I think it has always been owned by the government, just licensed out to individuals. That is also true, I think, of the one that used to exist in Almazara, the one in Zafra, Fuente de Cantos, and a bunch of others I can't remember right now.

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
As far as I am informed, all those albergue which formed part of the former turistic Alba Plata Project, i. e. Zafra, Fuente de Cantos, Almazara, Torremejía, Plasencia, Embalse de Alcantara, are owned by the government and licensed out to individuals by 10-year-contracts. If licensing is under litigation, the albergue will be closed. Sad thing, as most of the albergues were nice and well equipped, even though the situation of Almazara is inconvenient for the average walkers. They should probably use it for school-projects and leave only one room for pilgrims.

Espee84

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 2018
VdlP 2019
2020 Hatching plans
I stayed in Torremejia earlier this year and Rojo Plata was the only Albergue. It’s not great, but it’s a bed for the night (the 👎 comentarios on Gronze are accurate). It seems a little crazy there is no other albergue, as it’s a fairly essential pilgrim stop (too far to walk all the way to Merida from the previous town) and beds are limited.

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2017), Norte (2018), Primitivo (2018), Inglés (2019), VdlP (2019)
We stayed at the Rojo Plata in early October, I didn’t find it bad at all. Showers were among the best we have had. Also thought the restaurant was quite good, had a lovely meal there.

Espee84

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 2018
VdlP 2019
2020 Hatching plans
Maybe they have fixed the showers... I remember it being lovely and warm but I flooded the bathroom floor as something was leaking/blocked/broken 😬

amancio

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Hi Laurie! This stunning albergue has been open again for a few weeks, apparently, stunning place, off the beaten track because there is nothing else around other than century old olive trees. The whole situation with albergues in Via de la Plata is discouraging, the result is there are fewer places, panic rules, and most people just book ahead, which turns the Camino pretty much in a hike walk.
The winner is always other private albergues. The situation is particularly bad in Torremejía, a pretty much compulsory stop for your average pilgrim, and in Fuente de Cantos.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi Laurie! This stunning albergue has been open again for a few weeks, apparently, stunning place, off the beaten track because there is nothing else around other than century old olive trees. The whole situation with albergues in Via de la Plata is discouraging, the result is there are fewer places, panic rules, and most people just book ahead, which turns the Camino pretty much in a hike walk.
The winner is always other private albergues. The situation is particularly bad in Torremejía, a pretty much compulsory stop for your average pilgrim, and in Fuente de Cantos.
Wow, that is good to know. If you want some down time, sitting outside in olive groves, this would be a great place. http://www.albergueturisticolaalmazara.com/

Amancio, when I stopped there, a very popular local restaurant (from Villafranca, I think, but maybe from Zafra), had opened a nice restaurant there. Do you know if it’s still there? If not, people would have to bring food, because there is nothing in the vicinity.

Looking at stages, though, for the person who sticks with the “usual” stages, it is not in a great location — about 15 km from Zafra, so it would be a very short day.

geraldkelly

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés, Vía de la Plata / Camino Sanabrés, Camino del Baztán, Camino Aragonés, Chemin du Puy
Another alternative in Torremejia is Hotel Milenium which has single rooms for €25.

Camino(s) past & future
We're going to just make it a couple of short days and walk to Almendralejo (14k), then to Merida the next day (16k). We're not in a hurry so this will be fine.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock