• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Via de la Plata - San Gil. Anyone stayed here?

Madrood

Time of past OR future Camino
Estrecho (2023)
Hi all

Was scouting along the via and I came across this place. It's not on gronze, nor was it mentioned in the virtual planning thread. In fact as far as I can see it hasn't been mentioned here at all. They have a website that triggers a security filter I have installed on my browser or a 'down for work' (in Spanish) message, but there's also an associated youtube channel with a video from 2018 that shows off the inside. There is also an entry on caminosantiago.org which states that it has 33 places at €12 each.

Anyone stayed here? Or know anything about it?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've never heard of anyone who stayed there. They told me they were open a few years ago but since then I haven't heard anything. I've seen the building from the outside and it actually exists, in open country before the village, and it looks nice, but it also looks completely abandoned. Everybody goes left to Galisteo. It's a lovely little town with a functioning albergue and various other accommodation options.

In the video, at 2:30, that's the building I saw through the locked gate. I'm surprised to hear this man saying it's run by people with special needs. The two times I've gone by there was nobody. I left it out of the 2023 edition of the guide, I couldn't see any point including it if they don't even answer their phone.

That mobile number also isn't on whatsapp, which is a camino accommodation first for me at least ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back