• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Vila Nova De Arousa

mhrheinecker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Chemin de St Jacques (2014)
Cammino di Francesco (2016)
FYI. We arrived at the albergue,which we were told by phone does not accept reservations, at 3 pm, to be told that it is full. We will be given mattresses on the floor in an overflow room, but cannot occupy the room until after 10 pm when it is no longer in use for sports activities. While waiting, we noticed a number of empty beds in the main dormitory. A group arrived more than an hour after us and were given these beds in the dorm. It seems that at least one person from this large group came ahead and requested and received beds for the group yet to come.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That albergue runs things a bit ... well...

The day befor staying there, from Armenteira, I phoned one of the two captains to find out at what time they would be sailing the day after. It would leave in the early morning. Perfect!

So when I got to the albergue, when the hospy told me the boat would only leave in the afternoon I told him he must be mistaken, that I had spoken to the captain.

See, albergue sells tickets for one captain, and only tells you about him. And depending on the tide, this man takes one of his two boats. But I only ralised this after all of a sudden the boat would leave in the morning.
Guess the captain in cahoots with the albergue prefered taking fewer people on the boat that could sail at low tide rather than missing out on all of those passengers.

We found on the Portuguese route is that a number of places are set up more for groups who pre arrange details well in advance. Often these are locals heading to Fatima. As more solo walkers use this route there are more dedicated alburges similar to those in Spain. No need to get upset about it, a mattress in the sports hall is still a dry place to sleep and there are usually cheap hotels to use if you need more amenities.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That albergue runs things a bit ... well...

The day befor staying there, from Armenteira, I phoned one of the two captains to find out at what time they would be sailing the day after. It would leave in the early morning. Perfect!

So when I got to the albergue, when the hospy told me the boat would only leave in the afternoon I told him he must be mistaken, that I had spoken to the captain.

See, albergue sells tickets for one captain, and only tells you about him. And depending on the tide, this man takes one of his two boats. But I only ralised this after all of a sudden the boat would leave in the morning.
Guess the captain in cahoots with the albergue prefered taking fewer people on the boat that could sail at low tide rather than missing out on all of those passengers.
Ah! This clears up a puzzle...... This year, when trying to find information about the boat, I was told definitively by the tourist office in Padron, who went out of their way to find the boat time, and by others who should know, that the boat left at 10am. The ticket seller in the albergue said it definitely left at 7, and 'I should know because I sell the tickets.' So, there are two boats and two captains? As I plan to be there again in 2018, how does one contact the other captain and book a place with him/her, or, better still, both of them? The locals I spoke to didn''t seem to know about either of the boats.....

We ended up not taking the boat due to confusion from the hospitelero. I don't think they go unless they have a certain number. The guy knew how many pilgrims were coming from Armenteria. We were there in October and everything was pretty dead. A major disappointment but hey....whadderyagonnado???

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, does anyone know how many actual beds there are in this albergue (not including mattresses on the sport's hall floor)?
Jill

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back