• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue with no Electricity

EricBerg

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, May 2019
I walked the Camino Frances last year and I recall passing a small Albergue, which I think was hosted by Italian monks (I could be wrong). I think it had no electricity and was lit by candles. Not sure what they did about hot water though!
Does anybody know where this is and have you stayed there?

Many thanks

Eric

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here you go.

Will not open this year.

I passed by there twice on the Frances. Both times it was not open to passing pilgrims. If I remember correctly, it was closed on my first time through and booked for a group the second time. I would not count on it for reliable accommodation. However, I would still like to stay there if I ever pass through again. If you want an albergue with interesting historical roots and no electricity, you could try San Anton, just before Castrojeriz,.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,

my most impressive experience on all my caminos over 7 years! So fantastic. Mass at night, ritual foot washing, delicious dinner with wine and candle light, cosy hospitality! And donativo, imagine: there are people asking, „hmmm, how much should i give“....

Must shed a tear sometimes when I think of San Nicolas.

Was my best albergue ever. (Perhaps because it was my first and psychically important camino with very strong influences).

DonCamino

Attachments

• E4075876-8F8D-44B3-9959-0E40341C9B5C.jpeg
    E4075876-8F8D-44B3-9959-0E40341C9B5C.jpeg
    756.3 KB · Views: 227
  • DF4E395F-C6BF-48A3-ABDD-1FF44335E6B2.jpeg
    DF4E395F-C6BF-48A3-ABDD-1FF44335E6B2.jpeg
    742.9 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Part of my Camino-family stayed there last year and told me that it was a wonderful experience.

I had to walk further to Itero de la Vega, b/c the San Nicolas was full. It is really small.
You are lucky if you can stay there for the night.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
We stayed there in 2009 when you still had to pump water to wash clothes. By 2013, the pump was gone. I also remember seeing ULTREIA for the first time there. It was one of the highlights of the Camino for me. The dinner was awesome and we drank wine and sang until bedtime.

Attachments

• Portuguesas.jpg
    Portuguesas.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 157
  • San Nicholas 09.jpg
    San Nicholas 09.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 158
  • San Nicholas 2009.jpg
    San Nicholas 2009.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 153
  • San Nicholas 2013.jpg
    San Nicholas 2013.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 151
  • San Nicholas pump.jpg
    San Nicholas pump.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 148
  • San Nichols.jpg
    San Nichols.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Sn Nicholas Ultreia.jpg
    Sn Nicholas Ultreia.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 143
These are from last year.
It was a magical place, and the two Italian hospitaleros were gentle giants.
We were hanging out in front of the building in the evening when the hospi who had just finished at San Anton the day before came by her a car to check on one of the pilgrims whose feet were in terrible shape, just to make sure he had made it OK. Very touching - such heart!

Attachments

• 20190531_171819.jpg
    20190531_171819.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 20190531_171952.jpg
    20190531_171952.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 89
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is also the albergue that is about 5k before Castrojerig called Albergue Hospital de perigrinos de San Anton. It is where the ruins of a church and the big arch we walk under. I found out about it on my second Camino but it was too early to stop. The last time I walked the CF was this past winter and it was closed. I have heard wonderful things about this donativo. I know there is no hot water either.

I would love to stay here one day. It would be nice if anyone has stayed here and could share their experience.

There is also the albergue that is about 5k before Castrojerig called Albergue Hospital de perigrinos de San Anton. It is where the ruins of a church and the big arch we walk under. I found out about it on my second Camino but it was too early to stop. The last time I walked the CF was this past winter and it was closed. I have heard wonderful things about this donativo. I know there is no hot water either.

I would love to stay here one day. It would be nice if anyone has stayed here and could share their experience.

@lt56ny
I have copied the text below from my post on the thread: "Let's build an albergue!"

The wonderful welcome by the two female hospitaleras who were at San Anton the night that I stayed there, and the sense of the centuries of pilgrims who stayed there before me, are most vital to me when on pilgrimage. More than hot water, or electricity, or even wifi. I must be crazy, but the cold water shower, the very basic pilgrim vegetable stew, and the single dormitory with metal bunks proved to be all that I needed. It was simply heavenly. I left with a grateful heart and a sense of wonder for the privilege of being on pilgrimage.

It is certainly worth a visit and I shall return if I pass by there again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you love Albergue San Anton, you can help them out!
The volunteer hospitaleros who serve there sleep in an old shipping container, hot in summer, damp in the rain, stone cold at night. With the gates closed for the year, the non-profit association that runs the place has finally decided to put the caretakers in more comfortable quarters: a camper!
A second-hand model has been found, which offers a bit of privacy as well as much more comfy temperatures. During the winter it can be moved under cover.
Now we just need to raise the money to pay for it! We hope for 4000, but we'll take whatever people can spare. With Ivar's permission, I will direct you to Peaceableprojects.org website, a US non-profit that supports these magical camino places, where you can make your tax-deductible donation via PayPal.

The volunteer hospitaleros who serve there sleep in an old shipping container, hot in summer, damp in the rain, stone cold at night. With the gates closed for the year, the non-profit association that runs the place has finally decided to put the caretakers in more comfortable quarters: a camper!
A second-hand model has been found, which offers a bit of privacy as well as much more comfy temperatures. During the winter it can be moved under cover.
Now we just need to raise the money to pay for it! We hope for 4000, but we'll take whatever people can spare. With Ivar's permission, I will direct you to Peaceableprojects.org website, a US non-profit that supports these magical camino places, where you can make your tax-deductible donation via PayPal.
As a one-time short-term resident of the shipping container, this deserves all the support we can give it.

Thanks I will go and check this out and help. Thank you Rebekah. I have heard you interviewed and read many of your posts you are a cherished and valued Perigrina of the Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It would be nice if anyone has stayed here and could share their experience.
Many have in the past. Try searching using the term 'San Anton'. You might get another 'San ...' but you will get any mentions of San Anton.

Last edited:
Albergue San Nicholas is between Castrojeriz and Formista just before Boadilla del Camino. Details are in Brierley guide. I’ve stopped there for coffee and found it very welcoming.

There is also the albergue that is about 5k before Castrojerig called Albergue Hospital de perigrinos de San Anton...

... It would be nice if anyone has stayed here and could share their experience.
It was our favorite night on the Camino. There's something magic about that place -- maybe because the lack of amenities cause many to pass it by, but if you're one of the ones who look deeper than the surface and decide to stay there, be assured you'll be among kindred souls.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Back in 2009 the small albergue in San Bol (between Hornillos del Camino and Hontanas) also did not have electricity, nor a toilet, nor running water (except for a pipe leading to an outdoor swimming pool). Nevertheless we had a good stay there. The Brazillian hospitalero cooked on a gas stove - paella for dinner then crepes for breakfast. Also a donativo. We were the only two pilgrims staying. So the hospi and his girlfriend (a Dutch pilgrim who 'lingered') plus an Irish lad who had been a temporary hospi there - all slept in the attic.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In October 2018, I left Castrojeriz and was at the top of Alto de Mostelares to watch the sunrise. I caught the tail end of a hurricane. High winds, and deluged with rain. The albergue was a welcome sight. It was the last day they were open for the year. They gave us some hot coffee, and little biscuits. We changed into dry clothes and warmed up before heading back out. At the time it was perfect!🙏👣:D:cool:

It would be nice if anyone has stayed here and could share their experience.
I got there early in the afternoon as it was a short stage from Rabe, but I thought the albergue would fill, so...
better safe than sorry. It didn't. All afternoon people streamed past on their way to places with electricity and wifi and modcons, sometimes having a quick look around and hurrying on their way. That left just a few of us to bliss out on a full moon night inside the ruins of this amazing place. I got the bunk by the glass door, so could see the full moon coming up behind the ruined apse from my sleeping bag. It doesn't get much more magical than that.

Except that the moon part was after a shared meal and very warm companionship around the table.
I felt a little sorry for the people who had gone on to stay in the albergues in Castrojerez; the whole evening was pure magic.

Softly awakened by music in the morning and saying farewell to the two hospitaleras, I left feeling full of heart.

Now we just need to raise the money to pay for it! We hope for 4000, but we'll take whatever people can spare.
Joyfully done!

Attachments

• 20190531_074115.jpg
    20190531_074115.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190530_122130 - Copy.jpg
    20190530_122130 - Copy.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I stayed there in October 2019. I knew it was there and made sure to stay there. I walked from Hontanas, another special place to stay. It was magical. I think if I were to do the Camino Frances again, I would stay at 5 special places, even though some of them are only five miles apart. I don't care what time I get into Santiago, I care how the trip getting there is.

http://www.alberguesdelcamino.com/sarria/albergue-monasterio-de-la-magdalena Go here from Triacastella instead of straight to Sarria. I didn't stay in the monastery. I stayed at a small hotel with a friend that we split for something like $15. It was raining when we got there and the monastery looked very cold! But the monastery is amazing. I have done the mental twice, and the second time I did some of the things that I missed from the first time. This is one of them. Atapuerca is another one. Villafranca de Bierzo, Arroyo San Bol, Molinaseca, LaFaba on the way up to O cebreiro. Don't stay there... Too touristy. Go from La Faba over the mountain and down to Fonfria.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
http://www.alberguesdelcamino.com/sarria/albergue-monasterio-de-la-magdalena Go here from Triacastella instead of straight to Sarria. I didn't stay in the monastery. I stayed at a small hotel with a friend that we split for something like $15. It was raining when we got there and the monastery looked very cold! But the monastery is amazing. I have done the mental twice, and the second time I did some of the things that I missed from the first time. This is one of them. Atapuerca is another one. Villafranca de Bierzo, Arroyo San Bol, Molinaseca, LaFaba on the way up to O cebreiro. Don't stay there... Too touristy. Go from La Faba over the mountain and down to Fonfria.
Thanks for the info and I will bear it in mind for my next camino. I see the villages/towns you stopped at, but which Albergues?
Eric

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I stayed at the Hospitál San Nicolas. It was one of the most memorable stays on the Camino. The Italians were the best hosts. They fed us, washed our feet, prayed, sang, and shared our stories. The 1100-year-old church has no electricity but an outbuilding is behind it with some solar power for warm showers. The Ermita de San Nicolás is near Km marker 435 about 2 KM before Itero de la Vega.

Pretty much everything that Peaceable support, deserves support - so I have. I do wish that relatively small projects such as this where one feels a contribution might actually make a difference, made themselves more visible, I’m sure the funding would be there.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.