• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues advice Leon onwards

Deepforest

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Camino Frances 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017 del Norte and Primitivo 2017 Via Francegina 2018.
looking for a few tips guys please...

I arrive in Barajas and intend to get the bus to Leon. There's one from sur and moncloa. I think getting the renfe train from T4 to sur station is best but was wondering if anyone has other ideas. The bus from moncloa leaves 15 mins later so would give me a little more transfer time, but it's harder get to I think.

I'm starting in Leon at the end of October. I arrive in Leon at 3.40pm. I'm wondering if I could walk on to Virgen de camino , I hear it's a lovely albergue. But I'm not sure if it will be open or if there's space. I'm also not sure if it will be dark by the time I arrive given its about 1.5 hrs out. I stayed in the nuns albergues in Leon before, it's huge and I'd like to stay in a different albergues this time if possible. But I'd really prefer an albergue as I'm just starting out again and would like to meet a few pilgrims and not be on my own that evening. Someone mentioned another nice albergue in Leon.

I'm hoping to walk to hospital de orbigo the next day. Is this is a nice stop? And I've my heart set on staying at o cebriero this time. I'm wondering if it will be open, or if I should call ahead. Although, four caminos in and I've only called ahead once. And how is the municipal in Villafranca? I'm aware of the fenix.

Lastly, I might make it to Sarria before I've to leave but I'm wondering if the early bus from triacastella to Sarria still runs this time of year in case I've to take it. It's a monbus one. I think it's 7.30 am or some time around then.

I'll connect to lugo then onto SCQ.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Love walking but logistics are tricky when I've only a week.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I realize these are not where you plan to stop but I have to say: my two favorite albergues between Leon and SdC are Albergue Villares de Orbigo (in Villares de Orbigo) and Domus Dei in Foncebadon. in 90 days of walking multiple caminos three tied for first place: Domus Dei, San Miguel (Estella), and the monastery at Ziortza. Two tied for the next place: Albergue Villares de Orbigo, and Albergue de peregrinos in Bodenaya.
where ever you stay, I hope you have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino

I spent two nights in Hostel Leon, which is very close to the Cathedral. It was a very nice hostel.
I walked from Leon to Hospital de Obrigo, and while it was a long walk, it was doable. I highly recommend Albergue Verde there. I had one of my best Camino meals there. They serve a communal vegan dinner with produce from their organic garden.
I stayed at the Municipal albergue in O Cebreiro, and it was my worst albergue experience on the Camino. It wasn't horrible, just very cold - both literally and figuratively. I would probably stop earlier in La Faba if I walk the Frances again.
In Villafranca I splurged - 25 euro - on a hotel room at Albergue San Nicolas el Real, in beautiful converted convent building.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You are going to have to do some research about which places are still open - eg Gaucelmo (in Rabanal) will close on 31 Oct. Yes you are going to have shorter daylight hours, but as you are now West of Paris (where Spain's time is set) you will have the benefit of later sunsets (but later sunrises). I suggest you get a bus from Leon to La Virgen - you should be able to get one the day you arrive in Leon. Otherwise get an early bus to La Virgen and then walk to Hospital de Obrigo. There have been a number of posts about Albergue Villares de Orbigo - the current/original owners have or are departing so it may not still be operating. If you are set on staying at O'Cebeiro remember that it is at the top of a very long high hill.
Sounds like you are trying to complete a section of the Camino - and a tough one at that. Good luck

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If there's a bus at Barajas that goes to Leon that makes sens with your arrival time, why not look into that. Will save you the comute downtown.

If you are too tired or it's too dark when you arrive in Leon, and you want to stay in Virgen del Camino, you can take a city bus on the large round about by one of the banks.

Not sure what albergue you are considering in Virgen del Camino: Don Antonio will ne closed, according to Eroski. The one in Valverde de la Virgen, further along, will be open and you may make a reservation, again according to Ersoki.

Further along, I would avoid the Ave Fenix albergue in Villafrance del Bierzo, if not just for the accomodation then for the owners attitude.

Ah, my story about Hospital ... My feet had been killing since Leon. Flat feet I didn't jnow I had. So in the morning I popped in the first bar I saw in Hospital de Obrigo, on a side street, to tend to my feet. Ordered a cafe con leche. Lady brought me scrambled eggs on toast with it. I thought she was feeling sorry for me, so I ordered a second cafe con leche as a thank you. She beings me another small dish. And that is how I discovered that in Castilla & Leon you get a small dish of something for free, the original tapa, with any drink you order. ;0)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Regarding open/closed albergues on the CF in winter, keep also an eye on this page http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

Buen Camino, SY

Thanks for always replying SYates... But this webpage doesn't seem to work. There is no active link at the moment. Does anyone have any other site that lists open albergues. I remember from last autumn that pilgrims in Pamplona had been given a sheet listing open albergues.

Leon to Sarria has some remote stops. I'm disappointed to learn that the UK conformatity albergue in rabanal will be closed when I pass as I stayed there before and it was really great.

I'm a bit worried I'm going to end up walking huge Kms to get to open albergues now.

Regarding the bus from Madrid airport there is no bus to Leon on Sunday's , till very late, so I have to travel in to sur or moncloa. I think there's a direct train into sur so I'll go with that. At least I'll get on the way to Leon early.

Any other recommendations for albergues in Leon?

That website will start be be updated, like in previous years, when the first albergues start to close down. It is really the most reliable source of information available regarding closed/open albergues in winter on the CF. Maintained by Spanish volunteer hospitaleros that actually live on the way. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks again , I'll watch it daily, I hope I can get a wee bit of information before I go in two weeks. I appreciate your help though.

Ok, a bit of experience:

I walked the first time in winter 1999 and there were enough albergues open - 17 years later, there are a lot more albergues in existence and open in winter.

To my knowledge, please take it with a grain of salt and the usual disclaimer the following places have always at least one albergue open (and there might be others):

Leon (the Benedictine one is open all year round), Hospital de Orbigo, Astorga, Rabanal (Pilar albergue), Manjarin, Ponferrada, Villafranca del Bierzo, Ruitelan, O Cebreiro plus all Xunta albergues in Galicia are typically open 365 days a year.

So, really no reason to worry on that particular Camino stretch, Buen Camino, SY

During 10 years of walking the CF often in winter through heavy snow only once in March 2007 was a Xunta albergue closed (Hospital da Condesa) due to extreme weather conditions.
Thus I simply trudged on and up to find Alto do Poio open.
...Nevertheless you must be prepared!! Be sure to check this earlier Forum thread for several helpful tips re preparation for walking in winter.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...forum-walking-this-dec-jan.42732/#post-437828

Stay warm, stay safe and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I came through León 2 days ago and was told that Saturday was the last day the albuergue in Bergen del Camino was to be open. I took the alternative route out of Virgen del Camino and stayed at a very nice albergue in Villavante, which was 31.6k from the León and about 4k from Hospital.

I have fairly reliable information ( I was there) that the Xunta Albergue at Santa Irene was closed on Nov. 16 of last year. I had planned on staying there, but ended up at Salceda, which decided to open for half a dozen otherwise stranded pilgrims, as the other albergues in the neighbourhood were closed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back