• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues along the Via de La Plata

handzondeck2

Time of past OR future Camino
Life is one big adventure - follow your dreams.
Hi all

Does anyone have a favourite or quaint albergue on the via de la plata?

This will be the second time that I am walking this camino and would like to stay in some of the lesser known albergues if they are open.

I will be walking from Seville to Ourense then Santiago de compostela in April and plan to take about 42 - 43 days. Hoping to finish sometime early June.

Muchas gracias

Sharon :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola - I have wonderful memories of walking up to the great albergue at La Calzada de Bejar and looking back in wonder down the valley and arriving cold and hungry to the Casa Anita at Santa marta de Tera with their homemade cooking and endless supplies of free wine. But...how to choose...Salamanca...yikes, I'll need to do it again :)

in all my diary entries where i rated albergues highly
there was a hospitalero who made it especially special
so pass these by at your peril....
1 Oliva de Plasentia (400kays) - Monica made her place memorable with her stories, food, attention
2 Zamora (586kays) - eclecticly modern albergue carved into rock-face - volunteer German hospitalero went way out there to make us welcome and comfortable
3 agree with JohnnieWalker on Santa Croya de Tera(676kays) - Casa Anita - great food, v kind and friendly father and daughters hospitaleros, route suggestions...
that said, my best experiences were the surprises, where after a long hot tough painful shi77t day, to arrive with no expectation, and to have my spirits lifted by the smallest kindness

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
handzondeck2 said:
...would like to stay in some of the lesser known albergues if they are open.

Sharon,

10km passed Mombuey, in San Salvador de Palazuelo. A nice and cosy little albergue with only 4 beds. It's donativo. You get the key from the lady in the big house kitty-corner with the church.

No bar or tienda anymore in the village. Bring your own food. If you don't have any, the lady hospitalera will prepare some for you but don't even try to pay her. At least, from my experience, I had no success in trying.

At the end of the day, you can climb up the church steeple, relax, listen to silence and watch the world unfold. On your way back to the albergue you can stop for a chat with the old folks sitting in the shade behind the church, in good old spanish fashion.

No glamour, but rewarding,
Jean-Marc

Hi, handzondeck2, lucky you, to be going back to the Vdlp.

If you like albergues outside of towns, sort of in the middle of nowhere, then the Albergue La Almazara is for you. It's about 6 km before Villafranca de los Barros, so planning stages might be a challenge. It's an old olive oil "factory", with parts of its original press still there. The rooms are in a modern addition and small (one bunk and one single bed each), bath off each room (I think I'm remembering this right), and lovely grassy yards all around. The complex itself is walled off -- you can see a picture and a lot of positive commentary if you can read Spanish here: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/alb ... a-almazara

We stopped for coffee on our way into Villafranca. It was one of the best coffees I had on the Vdlp, so that's a good sign. Last May when I passed by, it had just opened under new management. The family with the contract owns popular restaurants in Villafranca and they were using this as a way to expand. They envisioned having the albergue and using some of the other rooms for a kind of fancy restaurant -- white tablecloths, crystal, etc. I don't know how this side of the business is going, but they were fairly confident they could attract banquets, weddings,communions, etc, in addition to weekend diners.

It's part of the string of "albergues turisticos" owned by the government in Extremadura, which includes the albergue in Fuente de Cantos, Zafra, the one at the Embalse de Alcantara, one in Torremegia, and maybe one or two others. All in all, a very nice spot, relaxing, and in the middle of olive groves. It's very close to the proposed site of the refinery that has engendered strong opposition by camino forces. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks to all who have shared their experiences about all the albergues.

Sharon

Life is one big experience - live the dream and share it :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there, I was in Salamanca last week and on my way out of town heading south to the mountains I saw that the albergue in Aldeatejada had a broken window and looked pretty neglected, does anyone know if it is still open?

Hervas!
If you leave the camino a bit, you will find a very nice albergue in Hervas between Aldenueva del Camino og Baños de Montemayor. It is an old railwaystation, and the hospitalero is (was!) very nice. Its picturesque Jewish quarter is well worth a visit.

Bjørg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back