• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues and food

Farmville Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
French Way (2014) (2015)
Portuguese Caminho (2016)
French Way (2018)
Today I finished the French Way for the third time and I am truly grateful for all of the acts of kindness along the way. I am a university professor and I have created an anonymous, 4 minute survey as part of a non-profit research project. I hope to share the results with hospitaleros and help albergues understand which services and facilities pilgrims need and most appreciate. If you have stayed at albergues, then your opinion would be appreciated

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Today I finished the French Way for the third time and I am truly grateful for all of the acts of kindness along the way. I am a university professor and I have created an anonymous, 4 minute survey as part of a non-profit research project. I hope to share the results with hospitaleros and help albergues understand which services and facilities pilgrims need and most appreciate. If you have stayed at albergues, then your opinion would be appreciated.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Camino2018
Before I fill out the survey might I know who is sponsoring the research?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No one is sponsoring this survey. It is solely my idea. The goal is to make the results available to everyone free of charge and to improve services and resources available on the camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The asterisks on some questions and not others was not intentional. The asterisks have been eliminated.
Why do some questions have an asterisk?

If you have stayed in albergues on your camino, I would appreciate it if you would take a 12 question (4 minute) anonymous survey.

I am a college professor and the survey is not sponsored by any other person or entity — it is solely my idea. My goal is to share the results with hospitaleros and perhaps improve services and facilities available to pilgrims.

Yesterday I completed my third camino along the French way beginning in St. Jean. In less than 24 hours, I will begin my walk to Finisterre...and perhaps beyond. I am truly grateful for all of the help I received along my journey. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK I did the survey but I must say for the most part you are not going to like my answers. Having been both a pilgrim and hospitalera, you hit a touchy part when it came to the demands. As a pilgrim I am grateful for any service given to me, and as a hospitalera I try to put a smile on the faces of the pilgrims I serve, mostly with limited funds available. As such I found the sentiment of your survey what pilgrims want over the top. There are always hotels.

The title is misleading. The questions are not primarily concerned with food.

Done, but I echo many of the comments by @IngridF. Choice is not really high on my list when walking the/a Camino for as many others on this forum have said, a pilgrim is grateful and does not expect.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why are you giving away an IPad mini. I deleted the survey when I saw that and didn’t submit. A Camino is not a vacation and an Albergue is not a 4 Seaaons Hotel. It should be simple and clean and that is all a Pilgrim should hope for. It’s the people not the Albergue.

Why are you giving away an IPad mini. I deleted the survey when I saw that and didn’t submit. A Camino is not a vacation and an Albergue is not a 4 Seaaons Hotel. It should be simple and clean and that is all a Pilgrim should hope for. It’s the people not the Albergue.

Not sure what an iPad has to do with anything. And I don’t think any one person can define what the Camino is or should be, except for themselves. I’m as frustrated as many of the old timers, however, it seems it HAS become more of a vacation for a majority.

I took the survey. Why not?

I
Not sure what an iPad has to do with anything. And I don’t think any one person can define what the Camino is or should be, except for themselves. I’m as frustrated as many of the old timers, however, it seems it HAS become more of a vacation for a majority.

when I saw the iPod it reminded me of commercial surveys on Facebook that are just trying to collect our data. And then I thought just what you thought and didn’t submit it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Farmville Pilgrim, I am wondering if among your past pilgrimages you have missed a few of the most important qualities of albergues. Many of our favorite albergues are donativos with modest facilities and staffed by volunteers. They have an intangible spirit, a gift to the current pilgrims from the hospitaleros who have walked the Camino also.

Last edited:
I apologize if the offer of the chance to win an iPad mini offended you. Pilgrims are very special travellers and my experience is that they are more than willing to help. As I said, I am doing this survey on my own and this is an expense that I will incur. This is not a commercial survey and the survey setting on Survey Monkey is on anonymous. My past experience with surveys (that are not intended for pilgrims) is that the chance to win an iPad mini is an added incentive for people to complete a survey. After the drawing for the ipad mini, all contact information will be destroyed.

QUOTE="lt56ny, post: 636141, member: 19122"]Why are you giving away an IPad mini. I deleted the survey when I saw that and didn’t submit. A Camino is not a vacation and an Albergue is not a 4 Seaaons Hotel. It should be simple and clean and that is all a Pilgrim should hope for. It’s the people not the Albergue.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not at all...my favorite albergue is a donativo without electricity. For me, the people, the welcome, and the vibe make an albergue special.

Farmville Pilgrim, I am wondering if among your past pilgrimages you have missed a few of the most important qualities of albergues. Many of our favorite albergues are donativos with modest facilities and staffed by volunteers. They have an intangible spirit, a gift to the current pilgrims from the hospitaleros who have walked the Camino also.

Last edited:
With 4 Caminos obviously something is calling you! I have reread your survey and see that you have included all the major atributes, "warm welcome" being second on your list. I guess that I just do not care for surveys. Nevertheless, I think that your contributions are worthwhile.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Your insight and opinions are valued. For me, a warm wecome and camaraderie make an albergue special. On at least 2 or 3 occasions, I was offered a cold bottle of water upon arrival — what a thoughtful gesture! After a long hot day, this simple act of kindness made me feel better. I am thankful for little things such as a simple hook on which to hang my clothes next to the shower. The opportunity to share communal meal or even the facilities to prepare a meal for a group of fellow pilgrims is a blessing. Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey.

Sorry, I tried to do some of the survey...after your second post. ..but when I wanted to leave some answers blank...it said that info was required...so I will have to pass...these were questions that asked for written responses? Thus the answers would likely not be easy to standardize if doing a research project? I do not think your current format will bring you the information you desire. Also, If you are doing the study for yourself, than why write “please tell us”..?

It's not clear where you are from @Farmville Pilgrim but if you are collecting individual and personal data, age, nationality, email addresses etc then the EC's General Data Protection Regulations apply if you collect that data from within the EC. You are supposed to state what you are collecting the data for, how you will process and store it and for how long, and a shed load of other stuff...

Setting Surveymonkey to anonymous doesn't hack it if you are running a prize-draw even if you are only running a prize-draw and not another bit of click-bait.

I've done your survey but I've saved you the trouble of protecting my personal & sensitive ;0)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took the painless simple survey - one question did give me pause... how does one pick their favorite child or albergue?

I appreciated the trip down memory lane,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
for one am looking forward to the results being available before walking in November.
On my last Camino, I found it all a mixed bag of nuts. Humor is what I missed most with paid or volunteer hospitaleiros.
Maybe my jokes were not top shelve? Or over used?

I'm usually very leery of surveys since most are marketing ploys or phishing sites, but this one looked harmless enough. Not interested in the ipad so I didn't enter any identifiable information other than age group and nationality. Besides, there are a LOT of middle aged women named "Jen" in the US! (a ten year period of Jennifer being the number one girl name) The survey is clearly not scientific, but I'm interested in seeing the data set nonetheless. Channeling a lesson from the Camino: "relax, it will all be ok."

I am so sorry that you had difficulties.Thank you so much for trying to complete the survey. The “other” boxes may be left blank or you could write no comment or perhaps “I wouldn’t change anything.” Pilgrims have unique insight into small improvements that could be helpful such as: a clothes hook near the shower, a pitcher of water at registration, or even salt and pepper on the table. As for “please tell us”, this year I hope that I have the privilege to present a paper on a topic that I am passionate about — the Camino. There are universities that have pilgrimage studies and seminars. My goal is to share the final results with albergues. Once again, I appreciate your attempt to take the survey.

QUOTE="Marbe2, post: 636314, member: 51058"]Sorry, I tried to do some of the survey...after your second post. ..but when I wanted to leave some answers blank...it said that info was required...so I will have to pass...these were questions that asked for written responses? Thus the answers would likely not be easy to standardize if doing a research project? I do not think your current format will bring you the information you desire. Also, If you are doing the study for yourself, than why write “please tell us”..?[/QUOTE]

This is the “Anonymous” survey setting: On, exclude ALL respondent information (names, email addresses, IP addresses, and custom data) from your survey results.
Should I take the survey link down?
If so, as moderator, do you remove the link from the thread or should I do it?

It's not clear where you are from @Farmville Pilgrim but if you are collecting individual and personal data, age, nationality, email addresses etc then the EC's General Data Protection Regulations apply if you collect that data from within the EC. You are supposed to state what you are collecting the data for, how you will process and store it and for how long, and a shed load of other stuff...

Setting Surveymonkey to anonymous doesn't hack it if you are running a prize-draw even if you are only running a prize-draw and not another bit of click-bait.

I've done your survey but I've saved you the trouble of protecting my personal & sensitive ;0)

Last edited:
Bit confused now, 'cos if you do not / cannot collect names & emails how do you work out who has won the prize?

As far as I'm personally concerned I've answered your survey but not provided any data that links my answers to me apart from an ip address so you'll know I genuinely am from Sussex England and am not a bot from Kalinagrad (other bot origins are available). Ergo no breach of GDPR. My choice. But if someone elects to enter your prize-draw then they have to provide you with personal data. And how you store, process and use that personal data is relevant.

With my Moderator hat on: well, you haven't broken a Forum rule. I guess I'm just a bit wary of a post, a first post, that could collect lots of valuable data on peregrino preferences. Valuable because if I was thinking of setting up a chain of perfect Albergues, or seeking to advise prospective commercial Albergue operators on the optimum set-up then that data or similar would have a value.

These are musings @Farmville Pilgrim 'cos we still don't know where you're from or what you intend to do with your survey results.
share the results with hospitaleros and perhaps improve services and facilities available to pilgrims
gives a clue but its not clear how you'll set about sharing that data.

Perhaps you should have just deleted that ipod offer, then the sensitive amongst the membership might not have gotten so intrigued.

I love being a college professor and I have no intention of opening an albergue or selling data, personal information, or consulting services. Any survey findings would be made available to all albergues — free of charge. AACSB is an international accreditating organization and professors at AACSB schools must perform research that has “impact”. Sharing the survey results, suggestions/opinions could have a “positive impact” on the pilgrimage experience, albergues, and communities on the Camino.

There are many lessons to be learned from walking the Camino. I would like to bring a group of students to walk the French way (790+kms). When I have taken students abroad, we have planned a service project so that our group has a positive impact — examples include: an aluminum recycling project to benefit dialysis patients, volunteering at an environmental center and cleaning debris from a shoreline. If I bring a group to Spain, then we will try to have a positive impact. Who knows...we may bring some hooks for shower areas and other simple suggestions that pilgrims have made. I will let the students plan the service project.

Bit confused now, 'cos if you do not / cannot collect names & emails how do you work out who has won the prize?

As far as I'm personally concerned I've answered your survey but not provided any data that links my answers to me apart from an ip address so you'll know I genuinelly am from Sussex England and am not a bot from Kalinagrad (other bot origins are available). Ergo no breach of GDPR. My choice. But if someone elects to enter your prize-draw then they have to provide you with personal data. And how you store, process and use that personal data is relevant.

With my Moderator hat on: well, you haven't broken a Forum rule. I guess I'm just a bit wary of a post, a first post, that could collect lots of valuable data on peregrino preferences. Valuable because if I was thinking of setting up a chain of perfect Albergues, or seeking to advise prospective commercial Albergue operators on the optimum set-up then that data or similar would have a value.

These are musings @Farmville Pilgrim 'cos we still don't know where you're from or what you intend to do with your survey results. gives a clue but its not clear how you'll set about sharing that data.

Perhaps you should have just deleted that ipod offer, then the sensitive amongst the membership might not have gotten so intrigued.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love being a college professor and I have no intention of opening an albergue or selling data, personal information, or consulting services. Any survey findings would be made available to all albergues — free of charge. AACSB is an international accreditating organization and professors at AACSB schools must perform research that has “impact”. Sharing the survey results, suggestions/opinions could have a “positive impact” on the pilgrimage experience, albergues, and communities on the Camino.

There are many lessons to be learned from walking the Camino. I would like to bring a group of students to walk the French way (790+kms). When I have taken students abroad, we have planned a service project so that our group has a positive impact — examples include: an aluminum recycling project to benefit dialysis patients, volunteering at an environmental center and cleaning debris from a shoreline. If I bring a group to Spain, then we will try to have a positive impact. Who knows...we may bring some hooks for shower areas and other simple suggestions that pilgrims have made. I will let the students plan the service project.

Twice now @Tincatinker (who told you where he lives) has asked you to say where you are posting from but you have not responded. It would settle a few worries as to what the purpose of your survey is if you would provide that information.

U.S.

Twice now @Tincatinker (who told you where he lives) has asked you to say where you are posting from but you have not responded. It would settle a few worries as to what the purpose of your survey is if you would provide that information.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise; two chief weapons, fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency! Er, among our chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and near fanatical devotion

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Interesting to me that the last time the OP responded was ten days ago and still didn't answer the dierect question.
I guess that is in and of itself the answer.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.