• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues and such

Joziane

Lifes` moments, memories & aspirations....
Time of past OR future Camino
(2017) Cam.Frances May 17-July2
Starting 1st camino this May and wish to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. Appreciated!!
I do have a question for my curious mind (still on this side of the waters).. It may be silly, but it would be nice to know, so here it goes...
How does one know what kind of establishment it is when viewing from the outside? Is it posted somewhere? Is there a symbol telling the pilgrim which type it is? Thank you in advance.
(ps. hoping I have posted this correctly, 2nd effort....technically challenged...VERY))

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Starting 1st camino this May and wish to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. Appreciated!!
I do have a question for my curious mind (still on this side of the waters).. It may be silly, but it would be nice to know, so here it goes...
How does one know what kind of establishment it is when viewing from the outside? Is it posted somewhere? Is there a symbol telling the pilgrim which type it is? Thank you in advance.
(ps. hoping I have posted this correctly, 2nd effort....technically challenged...VERY))
Hi, Joziane,

The easiest way to recognize certain albergue as municipal, private etc. is to check it in guide book or online (Gronze, Mundicamino, Eroski,...). Usually it's incorporated in the name of the albergue:
https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/burgos/san-juan-ortega/albergue-parroquial-san-juan-ortega
But otherwise if you click on albergue then scroll a bit down and see under Otros datos/Titularidad:
https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/burgos/ages/albergue-taberna-ages

Hope that helps. Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Joziane,

The easiest way to recognize certain albergue as municipal, private etc. is to check it in guide book or online (Gronze, Mundicamino, Eroski,...). Usually it's incorporated in the name of the albergue:
https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/burgos/san-juan-ortega/albergue-parroquial-san-juan-ortega
But otherwise if you click on albergue then scroll a bit down and see under Otros datos/Titularidad:
https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/burgos/ages/albergue-taberna-ages

Hope that helps. Ultreia!
yes, that does help....thank you

The name of some municipal albergues can be misleading about its character. For example, the Siervas de María, in Astorga ; I thought I was going to be received by nuns...:). The name comes from the building, which belonged formerly to a religious order.
Many times you will see arrows indicating the way to a parochial or muni albergue; local people always know them, which is not always the case with the private ones.
Some hostals and even hotels are trying to profit from the pilgrimage bonanza; they offer pilgrim-style accomodations, even if they are not registered as albergues.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The name of some municipal albergues can be misleading about its character. For example, the Siervas de María, in Astorga ; I thought I was going to be received by nuns
True, hahaha, but still it doesn't has municipal/parrochial or anything else in its name so why misleading??? :D

They are well marked with "Albergue" in the name, and sometimes a large "A." If you are specifically heading for one of the "municipio" or "parroquial" church-run places, it is helpful to know the name in advance. If you are open to private albergues, there are many options, so just watch for the word on the sign. Many of them offer both dorm accommodation and private rooms. By the way, a "hostal" in Spain is a small, often family-run hotel, with private rooms.
Some hostals and even hotels are trying to profit from the pilgrimage bonanza; they offer pilgrim-style accomodations, even if they are not registered as albergues
I'm not sure what this means. Is there a single albergue registry? I expect that the private albergues are appropriately registered with the legal authorities to offer their accommodation. Without the private albergues, there would be a huge shortage of beds during the busy season. I doubt that most of them make a huge profit!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And you won't be going alone. You will have lots of other pilgrims who will help you find your way, so don't worry! Have fun, Joziane.
I agree with JillGat, Joziane, have an awesome experience you will profit much if you a few friends along the Camino for guidance.

The name of some municipal albergues can be misleading about its character. For example, the Siervas de María, in Astorga ; I thought I was going to be received by nuns...:). The name comes from the building, which belonged formerly to a religious order.
Many times you will see arrows indicating the way to a parochial or muni albergue; local people always know them, which is not always the case with the private ones.
Some hostals and even hotels are trying to profit from the pilgrimage bonanza; they offer pilgrim-style accomodations, even if they are not registered as albergues.[/QUOTE

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Will remember that, I would have thought the same. Thank you

They are well marked with "Albergue" in the name, and sometimes a large "A." If you are specifically heading for one of the "municipio" or "parroquial" church-run places, it is helpful to know the name in advance. If you are open to private albergues, there are many options, so just watch for the word on the sign. Many of them offer both dorm accommodation and private rooms. By the way, a "hostal" in Spain is a small, often family-run hotel, with private rooms.

I'm not sure what this means. Is there a single albergue registry? I expect that the private albergues are appropriately registered with the legal authorities to offer their accommodation. Without the private albergues, there would be a huge shortage of beds during the busy season. I doubt that most of them make a huge profit!

This is helpful...Large A, word on the sign for Private. Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did my best to reply to all the responses but in case it didn't work out individually (as I did struggle at times with the technology even tho it is well indicated)....Thank you ALL!! It is part of the journey and as I have learned it starts at home in so many ways...it is all good.

Look on the resources section for the list of favourite albergues on the Camino Frances on this forum. Download it and print it off. When you have some time on wet weekend. Sit at your computer and Google the ones that you might want to stay at. Highlight them on the list. There are some albergues that you won't want to miss and there are some that don't make the list of the favourite albergues. Those that offer a communal meal are great for meeting new friends and catching up with old friends.

Look on the resources section for the list of favourite albergues on the Camino Frances on this forum. Download it and print it off. When you have some time on wet weekend. Sit at your computer and Google the ones that you might want to stay at. Highlight them on the list. There are some albergues that you won't want to miss and there are some that don't make the list of the favourite albergues. Those that offer a communal meal are great for meeting new friends and catching up with old friends.
Mind reader!! It just started pouring here....LOL!!! Good tip for today Thank you!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Two cases: my last time I arrived in Portomarin and all albergues were "completo". A kind hospitalera made a phone call and gave me the address of a place. The accomodations were albergue-like (shared dorms, etc.) but the owners were careful to tell us that they were not properly an albergue. I suppose that there was some kind of regulation behind this explanation (about which I don't really care). It was nice and pleasant, not very expensive.
Leaving Molinaseca I saw a quite stately hotel (I think it was the "Floriana") with a big sign: "Pilgrims! a shared four bedroom by only 60e!" I think that hotels are half empty in low season, and they are trying to make a profit.
For the record, I have nothing against private albergues (or hotels turning into ones). And although some family managed albergues are struggling to survive, it is a business with good profits opportunities for many. I was impressed to see so many brand-new albergues between Sarria and SdeC, some built specifically to this purpose, and many more than the registered in guides.
It has become very relevant for the local economy. It is good, provided that they offer satisfactory services with reasonable prices to customers and pilgrims.

Last edited:
Two cases: my last time I arrived in Portomarin and all albergues were "completo". A kind hospitalera made a phone call and gave me the address of a place. The accomodations were albergue-like (shared dorms, etc.) but the owners were careful to tell us that they were not properly an albergue. I suppose that there was some kind of regulation behind this explanation (about which I don't really care). It was nice and pleasant, not very expensive.
Leaving Molinaseca I saw a quite stately hotel (I think it was the "Floriana") with a big sign: "Pilgrims! a shared four bedroom by only 60e!" I think that hotels are half empty in low season, and they are trying to make a profit.
For the record, I had nothing against private albergues (or hotels turning into ones). And although some family managed albergues are struggling to survive, it is a business with good profits opportunities for many. I was impressed to see so many brand-new albergues between Sarria and SdeC, some built specifically to this purpose, and many more than the registered in guides.
It has become very relevant for the local economy. It is good, provided that they offer satisfactory services with reasonable prices to customers and pilgrims.
Comforting to know there are even more out there than in the guides. Started to fret a bit with "full bookings" that I read on another post. Plan to walk and stop whenever it is needed. Hence, the question in the first place...but have received much information here and yours added is bonus! Thank you.

Don't worry. In my experience, pilgrims are incredibly resourceful, and help each other.
I have been a couple of times in a situation where everything seemed "completo", and I had to ask, walk, and talk with local people. Hospitaleros usually try to get you a place, and same with clerks in tourism offices. It is only a problem if you want everything to be perfectly organised and pre-arranged (and I have nothing against that, neither).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For the record, I had nothing against private albergues (or hotels turning into ones). And although some family managed albergues are struggling to survive, it is a business with good profits opportunities for many. I was impressed to see so many brand-new albergues between Sarria and SdeC, some built specifically to this purpose, and many more than the registered in guides.

As I understand it, the only difference between hostels and albergues is that albergues are exclusively for pilgrims and you must show a pilgrim's credential to get a bed.
There are also a lot of hostales, pensiones, casa rurales etc., that are advertising to pilgrims along the trail. Many of them will give a discount if you have a pilgrim's passport/credential.

As I understand it, the only difference between hostels and albergues is that albergues are exclusively for pilgrims and you must show a pilgrim's credential to get a bed.
In Spain (youth) hostels as we know them are named "albergue turistico" and others are just albergues (for pilgrims) whether they are municipal, parrochial, private etc.
But otherwise you are spot on, Trecile!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back