• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues bed linen situation

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept./ Oct. (2013)
I will be starting the Camino Frances Sept. 5 from SJPP and after reading various bits of imformation I am still unsure if I need to bring a sleeping bag/ or bed linens of some sort while staying at the Albergues. Can anyone give up some information on what is needed for sleeping in most of the Albergues? Thank you so much.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will need either a sleep sheet, a liner, or a skeeping bag. The linens are NOT changed daily and can be quite dirty.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
805 said:
I will be starting the Camino Frances Sept. 5 from SJPP ... Can anyone give up some information on what is needed for sleeping in most of the Albergues? ...

At that time of the year I would definitively take a sleeping bag with me as it can get coolish in the mountains at night, SY

I always carry a sleeping bag or a liner, depending on the season... and an old pillow case! The albergue pillows are pretty manky when they are offered at all. When there are none, you can fill your pillow case with your wadded-up jacket, etc. and make your own pillow that way. The case can double as a grocery bag, do-rag, towel, seat cushion during the day. Just remember to wash it when you get a chance.

Reb.

805 said:
Can anyone give up some information on what is needed for sleeping in most of the Albergues?.
When staying at a pilgrims' albergue, one is in principle required to bring one's own sleeping bag or fleece liner. You will definitely feel more comfortable :wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
fraluchi said:
805 said:
Can anyone give up some information on what is needed for sleeping in most of the Albergues?.
When staying at a pilgrims' albergue, one is in principle required to bring one's own sleeping bag or fleece liner. You will definitely feel more comfortable :wink:
A sleeping bag is from hygienic reasons mandatory!
Even a silk or linen sleeping bag. But a sleeping bag!

Have a sound sleep among the snorers in the albergues! :D
Jochen

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked the Camino both in the Spring (SJPdP to Leon) and Fall (Leon to Santiago) and found it unnecessary to have a sleeping bag. On the first part I had a silk sleeping bag liner but found that it was too narrow for my comfort. I suggest sleeping in yours at home to be sure. When I returned in the Fall I brought a cotton one that was wider and because it was Fall a small fleece throw. Since I did not intend to camp and always had a roof over my head I found it sufficient. Most albergues have blankets and if they did not I would just have slept in all of my clothes for warmth. Before I left home I sprayed my pack, liner and blanket with stuff I got from REI for bedbugs. I believe it was Permethal (sp?). Buen Camino.

Thank you all for all the information... great idea to spray backpack etc before leaving ... I think i will plan accordingly. I am very anxious and excited about the journey .... thanks again,
buen camino,
M

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello 805, I will be walking beginning of Sept too and I found a great sleeping bag. It is mountain hardware 32/55 flip 600 down fill and weighs only 1.13 pounds ....I am so excited to have found it and can't wait to use it. Maybe we will met up on the way. Buen Camino. :)

I just returned from the Camino a few days ago. I would definitely bring a sleeping bag. Most of the albergues, municipal and private have no heat. My bag is marmot, nanowave45, perfect weight. A few albergues provide disposable paper fitted sheet and pillow case. Some albergues do have clean fitted sheets for a couple of extra euros. Bringing along your own sheet would be ideal to put under your sleeping bag, however, due to weight restrictions that may not be practical. Also, washing and drying the sheet every other day would be a pain. The only albergue where the sheet was pretty disgusting was the public albergue in Ponferedda. I took the sheet off, washed it in the sink and dried it on the line in the sun before Putting my sleeping bag on it. A good idea is to bring a bandana which can be used as a pillow case, face cloth, hair band, hand towel (hang it on your pack while walking, not all bathrooms have towels.) Buen Camino! I wish I was still walking!

I did not encounter bed bugs, and heard no one else speaking about them. Some albergues do have extra blankets, I declined to use them for hygienic reasons. Yuck! I walked from Leon to Santiago.

Bringing a lightweight sleeping bag is good "insurance". Some places have disposal sheets, some are clean, some are not. A sleeping bag will ensure that you can stay anywhere with some comfort and peace of mind.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tumbleweed said:
Hello 805, I will be walking beginning of Sept too and I found a great sleeping bag. It is mountain hardware 32/55 flip 600 down fill and weighs only 1.13 pounds ....I am so excited to have found it and can't wait to use it. Maybe we will met up on the way. Buen Camino. :)

Hello Tumbleweed,
Hope to share a walk with you this September. I decided to leave my sleep sack and bring a light weight sleeping bag and a Pyramid Bed Bug Guard Sheet. Should do the trick whether I use the bag or not.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.