• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues between Lisbon and Santiago

SirJizzle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés/Inglés(Ferrol)/Norte/primitivo
Buenos Días Pelegrinos,
I am currently planning to hit the Camino Portuguesa in 2 weeks.
Shortly I received a message from someone who said that most of the albergues on the Portuguese are closed during COVID and aren't open again. Is that true?
On my second Camino del Norte I figured out some issues with closed albergues due to the Autumn time(it was November as well)
Anybody here who just walked on the Portuguese way with some feedback?

Would be great!

Buen Camino
Björn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from Lisbon earlier this year. While I stayed mostly in private rooms, pilgrim albergues were open.
As @Bradypus said, check Gronze for closing dates of albergues, as many don't remain open for the late autumn/winter months.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from Lisbon in March/April. The only albergues I found to be shut were the municipal in Cernache and the parochial in Santa Clara (Coimbra) The others were all open although a few seemed to have restricted the number of beds available.

Hi there, about to finish the Portuguese camino (started from Lisbon, then interior/central and espiritual at the end). A few closed albergues but nothing you can't plan around. The ones I recall being shut were in Valada, assaceira and vila verde. At least one of these was due to current sickness of owner so may be reopened now. Also santa clara in coimbra due to plumbing issues/renovations and Casa da Misericordia in Santarem due to a lack of volunteers; but both those places have plenty of other (admittedly pricier) options) .
If in doubt, just ask in the place you're currently staying - most of the owners are very aware of what is and isn't open and are happy to help!

Valada (Dos Caminhos) is open, but the owner sometimes takes a day off. In many towns between Lisbon and Porto there are no albergues, so one needs to be prepared to stay in small hotels or pensions, or to plan carefully to overnight in towns that do have an albergue or hostel. I am two days north of Porto now and seeing many more albergues on this section.

I'm sure that those who walked recently will answer from their own experience. In the meantime you might find that Gronze gives a fairly accurate picture of what is available. A very comprehensive site which is frequently updated: https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues
Gronze.com was pretty up-to-date when I walked the CP in May this year. As to the numbers, your informant seems to have been engaging in a little hyperbole or relying on old information.

Last edited:
I'm sure that those who walked recently will answer from their own experience. In the meantime you might find that Gronze gives a fairly accurate picture of what is available. A very comprehensive site which is frequently updated: https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues
With Gonzo I only have the issue of language... Is it just me or is there only a Spanish version?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
With Gonzo I only have the issue of language... Is it just me or is there only a Spanish version?
Actually, if you are using Gronze (not Gonzo ;) ) primarily for accommodation information, you may be better off just leaving it in Spanish. You don’t want to have the English translation of “Casa da Raina” for instance. Looking for “House of the Queen” in Azambuja is likely to be a difficult task.

You don’t want to have the English translation of “Casa da Raina” for instance. Looking for “House of the Queen” in Azambuja is likely to be a difficult task.
It can be quite funny though. There's a town on the Via de la Plata called Carcaboso. If you don't turn it off Google Translate changes it to "Ghoulish". Sounds much more interesting than it really is :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buenos Días Pelegrinos,
Shortly I received a message from someone who said that most of the albergues on the Portuguese are closed during COVID and aren't open again. Is that true?
On my second Camino del Norte I figured out some issues with closed albergues due to the Autumn time(it was November as well)

Would be great!

Buen Camino
Björn
I have just finished and am in Santiago. No problem with any restrictions on albergues. I did notice howeverthat some close at the end of October for the winter but not because of covid.

I have just finished and am in Santiago. No problem with any restrictions on albergues. I did notice howeverthat some close at the end of October for the winter but not because of covid.
I hope you enjoyed your Camino :)

I had the closed albergues during the off season(November) on the CF, CN, CI and, for sure, on the Primitivo... I just hope that there will be enough available this year on the CP xD At the moment I am going through my old pilgrim stuff and checking what I need to rebuy...
It's crazy... Just 4 years since my last Camino and I am freakin nervous about what I need to take with me xD... This time I am hardly limited on my package because I just have 10kg hand luggage xD... That will be a tough one...

-Backpack
-two sets of clothings including each
- trousers with removable legs(was absolutely worth it on the last Caminos due to very hard changing climate...)
- thight compression shirt(love them for sport and Hocking to move the sweat away)
- lose shirt(trikot material)
- hoodie(Sweatshirt)
- Socks (always had the afalke socks)
- Boxershorts

- One of the set includes a set of long underwear for the colder days...

- poncho and a multipurpose jacket I prefer to have both tbh...

- sleeping bag
- one of the freakin annoying super light towel (hate them)
- shoes (still not Sure which one I take this time)
Bathroom stuff like shampoo I won't mention...
-kinesio Tape(must have in my opinion because you can fix your body issues and your clothes xD)

Not sure if I got everything now xD
Well... Powerbank and charger...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Would you mind clarifying what xD means to you in this context?
Oh, sorry for that!

"xD" is an expression used in text messages or e-mails signaling happiness or laughter. XD is an emoticon. X represents closed eyes while D stands for an open mouth.

Oh, sorry for that!

"xD" is an expression used in text messages or e-mails signaling happiness or laughter. XD is an emoticon. X represents closed eyes while D stands for an open mouth.
Thank you. That makes more sense than Christmas Day, the model designation of an Australian Ford Falcon or a Springfield armoury handgun. It still seems rather extreme, but I will be the first to admit to not being well versed in the nuances of texting abbreviations.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buenos Días Pelegrinos,

Would be great!

Buen Camino
Björn
Hi, I have just finished the Portuguese from Lisbon and albergues were open. Lot of people walking and from Porto would pay to book ahead.

Thanks for asking! I don't want anyone to fear that I'm taking a Springfield handgun on the Camino de Santiago! Thanks also to everyone who replied to this thread! Even though I've been walking the Caminos since 2016, I've only just come across this forum. and i love it!
Thank you. That makes more sense than Christmas Day, the model designation of an Australian Ford Falcon or a Springfield armoury handgun. It still seems rather extreme, but I will be the first to admit to not being well versed in the nuances of texting abbreviations.

Hi, I have just finished the Portuguese from Lisbon and albergues were open. Lot of people walking and from Porto would pay to book ahead.
I hope that I do not have to book ahead...

But anyhow, thank you for your response

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back