• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID Albergues between Porto and Santiago (coastal route) > Oct\Nov 21

Alishmaly

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all, just about to set off for Portugal but wondering if Albuerges along the coastal are currently opened? I have found a few mixed reports and wasn't planning on booking accom in advance.

FYI for those setting off soon, I will be walking down the Douro and up the coast from Sé cathedral on the 26th morning.

TIA!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hi, the camino ninja and gronze apps show quite a few as closed (for instance in Labruge). i've booked the first three nights to keep daily distances reasonable. I'm setting off next week too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please note that some that are currently open will be closing fir the season at the end of October. Walking the CP now and haven’t seen a “complete” yet, so advanced booking doesn’t seem necessary for right now.

Hi all, just about to set off for Portugal but wondering if Albuerges along the coastal are currently opened? I have found a few mixed reports and wasn't planning on booking accom in advance.

FYI for those setting off soon, I will be walking down the Douro and up the coast from Sé cathedral on the 26th morning.

TIA!
I went on the Camino da Costa from Porto Sept 18 to Oct. 4. I just booked the night before or the morning of. The Buen Camino App is very good at giving me the Hostels contact information. Buen Camino mi amigo!

We are on the Portuguese Camino and have not had an issue in the albergues until Vila Nova Arousa. You must reserve at the Municiple Albergue. We were walk ins and got the beds on the upper level of the gym. They were going to be using the gym until 11pm. We left there and found a hotel. €40 a night for a nice quiet room with private bath room.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hi, the camino ninja and gronze apps show quite a few as closed (for instance in Labruge). i've booked the first three nights to keep daily distances reasonable. I'm setting off next week too.
I’ll be heading out to Labruge from Porto Oct 29th and booked ahead mostly to keep distances within reason, assure myself of a place to sleep as I reserved when COVID restrictions still in place and because of November closures. Only Labruge seemed to be either Orbiter campground bungalows (I got one) or Praia hotel at 54€ for single. I started in Lisbon and since starting Oct 9th not one place has asked for vaccination or Covid test results…..rules changed oct 1st.

The Metro out of Porto tracks the coast all the way up to Povoa de Varzim. The closest station to Labruge is Modivas Sul, a couple of miles from Labruge.

If you are stuck, you could travel back and forward using the Metro to get you past these difficult accommodation spots.

I’m going to start the coastal/litora route next week, but I don’t recall seeing mention of the Spanish Heath declaration for the crossing from Caminha. Apparently the declaration needs to be filled out in advance with the vessel name. Has anyone dealt with this recently?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m going to start the coastal/litora route next week, but I don’t recall seeing mention of the Spanish Heath declaration for the crossing from Caminha. Apparently the declaration needs to be filled out in advance with the vessel name. Has anyone dealt with this recently?
Not yet but let me get back to you in 4 days! Please feel free to remind me.

Thanks all for the input. I've been finding it's a mixed bag at the moment, with the constraint in options, it's meant I was turned away at some accommodation. So I do recommended booking in advance for those starting soon (a day ought to do it).

One query.... I'm on my 4th day and there has been ALOT of walking on roads. Besides the dunes, is there any more natural route following trails and the likes??

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have a great Camino. I should have started last week, but have had to postpone until next April. I hope the weather is kind
Hope you get to enjoy the same weather I am. One thing to bare in mind is there is very little shade on the coastal Camino. Be well.

...don’t recall seeing mention of the Spanish Heath declaration for the crossing from Caminha. Apparently the declaration needs to be filled out in advance with the vessel name. Has anyone dealt with this recently?

Crossed earlier this month and was stumped by the same question so didn't bother with the declaration and was never asked about it.

The other thing that stumped me was the apparent lack of lifejackets on the crossing but the journey was so quick that I failed to check what provision there was on the water taxi. Just a heads-up if you are concerned about these things.

Crossed earlier this month and was stumped by the same question so didn't bother with the declaration and was never asked about it.

The other thing that stumped me was the apparent lack of lifejackets on the crossing but the journey was so quick that I failed to check what provision there was on the water taxi. Just a heads-up if you are concerned about these things.
Thank you! Maybe I’ll blow up a dry bag for a makeshift flotation device :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

On small boats/short crossings they are often tucked away under bench seats but haven't (yet) taken that crossing so can't say.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch. No checks at all except at Albuerge who asked for a vaccine proof. Which I have.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks all for the input. I've been finding it's a mixed bag at the moment, with the constraint in options, it's meant I was turned away at some accommodation. So I do recommended booking in advance for those starting soon (a day ought to do it).

One query.... I'm on my 4th day and there has been ALOT of walking on roads. Besides the dunes, is there any more natural route following trails and the likes??
Any issues crossing the border at Caminha re COVID-19 regulations

Great! Exactly what I wanted to hear :)
And there was no problem whatsoever, but something I had previously missed, probably because I did this so last minute. Sorry if everyone knows this already.

A local I met in Moledo (Paredão 476, great cafe) recommended walking around the sandy peninsula at the mouth of the Minho before Caminha. I had just passed the Parque de Campismo Orbitur Caminha, when a young guy asked if I needed to go to Spain, and pointed down the bank to a small boat with 4 pilgrims already aboard. The others had spent hours in Caminha trying to find a boat, and I managed to stumble across it accidentally :)

I just checked Google Maps and now see a marker for "Taxi Boat Peregrinos".

A few minutes and 5 euros later we were on the beach at the start of the boardwalk that goes around the peninsula toward A Guarda. Easy Peasy.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back