• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues blankets available now?

Paul the carer

Time of past OR future Camino
To walk full route in May 2020
I am getting my packing together for my Camino start on the 2nd May 2023 and wondering what to take. Please can anyone let me know if the albergues are providing blankets now as it will save me packing a sleeping bag. I am taking a warm sleeping bag liner already.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
As Tincatinkar posted in another recent thread on blankets there something very comforting in slipping into your own bag and liner every night. That way you know that you are within your own "dirt" and not directly exposed to what others may have left.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is true and did know about scabies, thanks for your info.
In the albergue of Roncesvalles we do not have blankets.
And in albergues where you find blankets, you never know when they were washed the last time ...
So bring your own lightweight sleepingbag.
Thanks, I have packed a small sleeping bag

We bring lite 3 season sleeping bags even though we usually stay in private bedrooms that do have blankets on the beds. We remove the blankets from the beds, check the beds, make sure the sheets were changed (you can tell) and then put our sleeping bags on the bed.

Even if I am in a fine hotel in the USA. (without a sleeping bag), I also take off the spreads, and blankets off the beds and adjust the temperatures accordingly.
Bed spreads are full of germs!

I am highly allergic to bed bugs and so I am very careful about where I rest.

I am getting my packing together for my Camino start on the 2nd May 2023 and wondering what to take. Please can anyone let me know if the albergues are providing blankets now as it will save me packing a sleeping bag. I am taking a warm sleeping bag liner already.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
I walked Salamanca to Santiago in April some years ago. In one albergue on the 20something of April there were no blankets provided, the proprietor
loudly proclaiming that it was summer. In others the single blanket provided was woefully inadequate for the chill. I would now prefer to carry a light sleeping bag that’s not needed than suffer cold nights. Others might be happy to risk the occasional uncomfortable night.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walked the Camino Frances last spring and all of May, it was still quite cold at night as well as in the morning. Like others have said, it is nice to have your own sleeping cocoon. Perhaps toss a blanket on top, but have seen a lot of blankets that I would not want to have on my bag or sleep with. This goes for sheets too.

Some do. Some don't. Those that have them - blankets are not washed frequently.

I always recommend brining your own. Even in summer I have had cold nights.

If you stay solely in private rooms - they almost always provide blankets.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wish I'd read this post before I walked in 2016. I didn't take a blanket or sleeping bag and there were a couple times when I regretted it.

In addition to what's already been posted, another thing to note is that if you do decide to wing it and use albergue blankets, be sure to ask for one, and ask early. They won't just give one to you, and they don't have an unlimited number. I nearly froze to death in a parochial albergue in Pamplona in early May. I got back too late to get a blanket (they had all been distributed) and it was beyond cold inside. 🥶

I also got chewed out by the hospitaliera at an albergue in the mountains. She was incensed that we were asking for blankets. 🤷‍♀️

Currently serving at the Canfranc Pueblo albergue on the French Way through Aragon. We have blankets AND heat!!!! Which is a good thing because it’s snowing outside 🥶

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.