• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues From Porto to SdeC

GingaNinja

Time of past OR future Camino
Primera Vez 2018!
Hail travellers! Im planning on walking from Porto to SdeC next week. Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of the albergues on the way and their prices? Also, my portuguese friend(who frequently gives faulty information lol!) told me that there are lodges along the way where you can stay the night for free. Is this true?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello and welcome on this forum. But ..... we are not travellers, we are pilgrims or at least Camino walkers. And a good Camino needs a good preparation. Therefore you are here at the right address: use the search button in this forum, spend a few hours and you will be overloaded with more info than you ever expected.

Your Portuguese friend certainly was wrong with his information about 'staying the night for free'. On many Caminos one can find 'donativo' albergues, but donativo definitely does not mean you don't have to pay! You use water, toiletpaper and electricity, you use the facilities, the host makes you feel very welcome and the next morning he or she has to clean the place for new guests ........
In average in a donativo albergue one pays € 10,-- for the night if everything (bed, shower, toilet) was OK.

Here in the Netherlands where I live we have a saying: 'Only the sun rises for free' and that is so true! If many people think that a 'donativo' albergue means 'sleeping for free', the famous and warm hospitality we all experience on the Camino will eventually disappear, much to our regret!

Hi Ginga!

I walked the Portugues and did not find any place free... For the Donativo places, as mentioned before, 10 euro seems to be the normal price for bed. A bit more if there is food too.

In the Gronze website you can find a very complete list of accomodation of all types, from albergues to hotels: https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues

Bom Caminho!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hail travellers! Im planning on walking from Porto to SdeC next week. Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of the albergues on the way and their prices? Also, my portuguese friend(who frequently gives faulty information lol!) told me that there are lodges along the way where you can stay the night for free. Is this true?
Download trailsmart it lists all the albergues and hotels on the route. It even includes websites and phone numbers etc...

Lodges: sounds very grand! Perhaps your friend was referring to the Fire Stations. I did not try them out, but i think I have read on the forum that due to the increase in pilgrims, they are less open than they used to be. Nothing ventured, nothing gained... Buen Camino.

Dear Ianinam, I did not mean traveller in the sense that you were not a pilgrim. Rather I meant it in the sense that you were a pilgrim, who is travelling to Santiago de Compostela or has travelled there. Yea, I agree, nothing's for free these days from people, and the expectance of "free" from travelling pilgrims won't cultivate hospitality for themselves. Thanks for the info on the prices!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back