• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues, Hospiterlos, bed count and other things we like to critique

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Time of past OR future Camino
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
This applies to all routes (or at least the several upon which I've traveled), but since there's been some talk about the subject most on the Frances, it's here I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I know no one sets up an albergue or volunteers as a hospitelero, in order to make someone else miserable. I know when beds are scarce you worry as much as we do (maybe even more), probably put in lots of extra hours trying to plan for what to do when every bed in town is gone. I imagine you calling around every morning, and checking with other albergues in town and out as the crowds begin to swell. I was SO grateful for the kind Dutch gentleman who helped me sign in at Roncesvalles, who laughed so deeply when I managed to dredge up enough (badly accented) Dutch from my three years in the Netherlands to thank him and ask which way to my bed. I wrote a very amusing blog entry about the seating process for dinner at La Posada...but I was so hungry, and so happy for the bountiful food they put in front of us. Words can't express how much I owe the good monks at Ziortza, who checked on me in the middle of the night because I'd arrived at their door hypothermic, and whose prayers brought the first (and nearly only) dry weather of my walk, as I headed on to Guernica (with an apple that the abbot snuck into my pack, against all the rules). There was the padre reparadore who just put his hand on my shoulder as I knelt crying in a church in Puente La Reina, the gentle Spaniard at Domus Dei who opened an hour early because I was there, and offered me part of his lunch, the kind German and Spanish hospitaleras at San Miguel who fixed me the leftover potato soup they'd had for lunch because I didn't want the pork on the menu for dinner...just so many, I can't list them all, and I'm sure each of you has similar memories. Even the only two I didn't enjoy (in 90 nights of sleeping in Spain) served me well--while I didn't like the smoking at one, I could see how much others liked it, and it taught me that just because you've checked in, you don't have to stay. Also, I imagine it was heaven on Earth for smokers, so to each their own. The other taught me if you leave your underwear unattended in a room with 80 male pilgrims, it may not be there when you come back.:eek: I certainly don't think the hospitalero at the first wanted me to be unhappy about the smoke, and there's no way I can blame the albergue at the second for my poor planning...after all, I've deployed before:rolleyes:
All too often, you are more likely to hear what went wrong: room noise, water temp, mattress quality...I hope every now and again someone remembers to say thank you, for all you do for us. While I was on the road, if I stayed somewhere that didn't take my VISA, it meant I should offer my thanks. Especially at the Albergues, where people were hosting me, a stranger. I made sure to thank them all, including the two I didn't much care for, verbally as I left, and in small thank-you notes I left. After all, if I stay with friends I'd do that, so if complete strangers are willing to take me in...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wrote it for me, family, and my dr. at Walter Reed (that and weekly check-ins were kind of a deal we made)...I tell myself I should sanitize it and make it public, but I kind of doubt there'd be much interest (aside from all the don't-do-as-I-did:eek: examples)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This applies to all routes (or at least the several upon which I've traveled), but since there's been some talk about the subject most on the Frances, it's here I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I know no one sets up an albergue or volunteers as a hospitelero, in order to make someone else miserable. I know when beds are scarce you worry as much as we do (maybe even more), probably put in lots of extra hours trying to plan for what to do when every bed in town is gone. I imagine you calling around every morning, and checking with other albergues in town and out as the crowds begin to swell. I was SO grateful for the kind Dutch gentleman who helped me sign in at Roncesvalles, who laughed so deeply when I managed to dredge up enough (badly accented) Dutch from my three years in the Netherlands to thank him and ask which way to my bed. I wrote a very amusing blog entry about the seating process for dinner at La Posada...but I was so hungry, and so happy for the bountiful food they put in front of us. Words can't express how much I owe the good monks at Ziortza, who checked on me in the middle of the night because I'd arrived at their door hypothermic, and whose prayers brought the first (and nearly only) dry weather of my walk, as I headed on to Guernica (with an apple that the abbot snuck into my pack, against all the rules). There was the padre reparadore who just put his hand on my shoulder as I knelt crying in a church in Puente La Reina, the gentle Spaniard at Domus Dei who opened an hour early because I was there, and offered me part of his lunch, the kind German and Spanish hospitaleras at San Miguel who fixed me the leftover potato soup they'd had for lunch because I didn't want the pork on the menu for dinner...just so many, I can't list them all, and I'm sure each of you has similar memories. Even the only two I didn't enjoy (in 90 nights of sleeping in Spain) served me well--while I didn't like the smoking at one, I could see how much others liked it, and it taught me that just because you've checked in, you don't have to stay. Also, I imagine it was heaven on Earth for smokers, so to each their own. The other taught me if you leave your underwear unattended in a room with 80 male pilgrims, it may not be there when you come back.:eek: I certainly don't think the hospitalero at the first wanted me to be unhappy about the smoke, and there's no way I can blame the albergue at the second for my poor planning...after all, I've deployed before:rolleyes:
All too often, you are more likely to hear what went wrong: room noise, water temp, mattress quality...I hope every now and again someone remembers to say thank you, for all you do for us. While I was on the road, if I stayed somewhere that didn't take my VISA, it meant I should offer my thanks. Especially at the Albergues, where people were hosting me, a stranger. I made sure to thank them all, including the two I didn't much care for, verbally as I left, and in small thank-you notes I left. After all, if I stay with friends I'd do that, so if complete strangers are willing to take me in...
I am currently a hospitalero in Salamanca I´ll try for a percent standard of what you received from people in a different class from us mortals. I have heard ¨gracias¨ a few times but it was in lower case.... Ultreya.... Willy/Utah/USA/Salamanca

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Gracias for all you are doing, Willy...and everyone else out there who is also able to serve in this way. It is no small thing that you are offering, even as 'mere mortals'!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am currently a hospitalero in Salamanca I´ll try for a percent standard of what you received from people in a different class from us mortals. I have heard ¨gracias¨ a few times but it was in lower case.... Ultreya.... Willy/Utah/USA/Salamanca
thank you for your service to others! I'd have typed in caps, but sometimes that's shouting :) Sometimes it takes a while for us to realize the gifts we've been given.
I hope you're enjoying your time there...I still have a stiff neck from looking for that silly frog! The only really hot day in in 90 days, and I spent a fair portion of it in front of the university, trying not to topple backwards :eek:

I have heard ¨gracias¨ a few times but it was in lower case....
I don't know if the use of please and thanks is cultural or depends on the age group but I was brought up using them as a common courtesy, no matter where I travel. I even use please and thank you with our dog! So you would have heard a hearty Gracias!! from me if I had stayed in Salamanca)

This applies to all routes (or at least the several upon which I've traveled), but since there's been some talk about the subject most on the Frances, it's here I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I know no one sets up an albergue or volunteers as a hospitelero, in order to make someone else miserable......... .

Superb post.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Superb post.
Thank you (all of you)...and everyone please feel free to add hospitalero/a thanks of your own, here, and in person. I could write a entire book just on the things on my walk for which I am profoundly grateful...those moments filled the hours and minutes of my camino.

No, thank YOU! For coming to the alburgue. Two years ago I had the good fortune of serving as hospitalera in Grañon. I learned so much. Father Jesus was the local priest there in that little ancient church. I never met anyone so dedicated. I feel like I never worked so hard in the two weeks I spent there. But it's the pilgrims that were the real teachers. From them I learned about compassion, patience and how to nurture myself in the face of such need. Not to mention the joy of seeing the pilgrims, cook, serve and clean up after dinner.
It was truly profound for me. Don't know if I'll ever get back there.....
I kept a log of all the nationalities that came through. There were over 30. As I continued on to Santiago, I counted more. By the end of my time I had encountered over 53 nationalities. We got along swimingly. Amazing!
Thanks for sharing!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back