• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues in Alpriate and Azambuja

peregrina2000

Staff member
On another thread, a forum member talked about a March caminho from Lisbon. Just wanted to alert people to the openings for the Alpriate albergue, run by Via Lusitana, 20-plus km from the Lisbon cathedral.

Albergue in Alpriate will open March 16.

A NEW Albergue in Azambuja will open in April. This albergue will also be run by Via Lusitana. My friends there tell me it is in a house on the main street, will be very nice. They are still working on putting in the showers and the kitchen sink.

And look at the numbers in the Alpriate albergue. Pretty incredible!

2016 — 397 pilgrims
2017 — 856 pilgrijs
2018 — 1145 pilgrims
2019 — 1370 pilgrims

Bom caminho, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So happy to have been one of the 2019 guests at Alpriate....there were just two of us that night.
I'm assuming that little café around the corner is still going strong. Did you eat a meal there? My impression was, but this is several years ago, that it had not gotten into the "pilgrim exploitation" mode that may be oh so tempting to small businesses with a big uptick in business, especially when the audience is more or less captive and heavily foreign. I had a very tasty homemade meal at a ridiculously cheap price. Nice people.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I slept there in 2017 it was, for lack of a better word, a holy year or anniversary of the miracle in Fatima. The albergue was full, the church was full and about 9:00PM some pilgrims on a religious pilgrimage to Fatima arrived and they slept on the floor. When I was there they seemed to have started work in the Albergue in the back. Did they add more beds or am I wrong about that? Anyone know?

In May 2019 I missed out on the 12 beds, 10 upstairs & 2 in the entrance... I got taxied on to a hotel at Azambuja...In September 2019 I was second in line & got the 2nd bed on offer downstairs. Sheer delight & we went around the corner to the wonderful cooking at cafe Grillus...
Love

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm assuming that little café around the corner is still going strong. Did you eat a meal there? My impression was, but this is several years ago, that it had not gotten into the "pilgrim exploitation" mode that may be oh so tempting to small businesses with a big uptick in business, especially when the audience is more or less captive and heavily foreign. I had a very tasty homemade meal at a ridiculously cheap price. Nice people.
Yes indeed. Delightful folk at this café, and a terrific, simple and oh so cheap meal. I was the only dinner customer - the other pilgrim kept very much to himself but I think ate somewhere else. This was 18 September 2019.

The cafe is open and very welcoming to pilgrims. No need to wait until dinner as you can get a meal all day long. Breakfast starts around 7:30am and then the cafe remains open until 10pm and later when there is a soccer game on the TV. She also has free wifi. There is no wifi at the albergue. There are only 10 beds--8 upstairs and 2 down. About 1/2 miles away is a grocery store, open 7 days a week. Around 4pm the bread truck comes (Monday-Saturday) with fresh bread and cheese and pastries. Great little village with friendly and welcoming folks.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.