A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Albergues in Astorga

Fletchonides

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP - Pamplona (2014)
Pamplona - Burgos (2016)
Burgos - Leon (June 2017)
Leon - SdC (June 2018)
It seems from my research that there are two main albergues in Astorga, but neither of them can be booked. Is that correct?

There is Albergue de peregrinos Siervas de María, which has 156 beds, with various size rooms, and there is Albergue San Javier, which has 110 beds, seemingly in bigger rooms?

I think I am leaning towards Siervas de Maria; any opinions would be welcome.
we will be arriving in Astorga on Fri. 1st June. Is there likely to be an issue with getting a bed?

Many thanks

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
Siervas de Maria is the classic pilgrim albergue, run by volunteers from many countries, backed by a local Amigos association. It is clean and friendly, if sometimes a little noisy.

San Javier is privately owned and run, in a big old house right downtown. It's beloved of many, despised by some... just like any other well-used albergue. I cannot say one is much greater than the other; I prefer Siervas de Maria only because it upholds the volunteer/donativo principal that's kept the camino going for so long.

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
They fumigate, but San Javier always seems to end up with bed bugs later in the season. No albergue is immune, so don't avoid them for it. Treat your equipment and you will be fine.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times, but soon again I hope....
I have stayed at both, and both were clean and comfortable. No complaints.
As far as getting a bed on the day you are there? Quien sabe? Who knows?
It is just like the weather on the Camino. No way to predict.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times, but soon again I hope....
They fumigate, but San Javier always seems to end up with bed bugs later in the season. No albergue is immune, so don't avoid them for it. Treat your equipment and you will be fine.
That's not really a fair statement to make. Not fair to the albergue or to the staff that runs it. Unless you have statistics or proof, that would just be rumour or hearsay. Gossip.
Remember, there are a lot of people who come to this forum, members and non-members alike, who take everything said on here as gospel truth. They read something like that from someone who has walked the Camino before and to them it is fact, when it is not that at all.

Advertisment

Fletchonides

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP - Pamplona (2014)
Pamplona - Burgos (2016)
Leon - SdC (June 2018)
I like clean and friendly

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
My opinion is stay at the municipal. It is nice. I’ve informed the people at San Javier three separate times about bedbugs and they just shrugged and continued to admit pilgrims. I will never ever stay there again. Nearly every person I’ve met after Astorga who has bedbugs slept there. I feel they are very irresponsible.

Last edited:

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
Unless you have statistics or proof, that would just be rumour or hearsay.
It is my first hand facts from staying there three times at different times of the year. As I said, they try. One late fall all pilgrims were in the attic while the other two floors were being treated. It is an old, wooden building, and the nesting places are countless. I don't cast aspersions on their effort, but I am skeptical of their victory. It is one of my favorite albergues, but I make sure that I have taken all possible anti-bug precautions when I stay there.

Camino(s) past & future
Aug-Sept(2016) SJPDP-Finisterre, July-Aug(2017) SJPDP-Muxia-Finisterre, July-Aug(2018) El Norte
I've stayed at the municipal (Siervas de María ) twice, and I liked it there. Last time I got a donativo massage by students of physiotherapy!

Fletchonides

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP - Pamplona (2014)
Pamplona - Burgos (2016)
Leon - SdC (June 2018)
Tthank you so much. As someone said here recently best is always subjective.

FLEUR

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Stayed at San Javier quite few years ago. (Possibly 2014) We did book one day ahead and slept in one of the massive dorms in the attic. We never treated our luggage / sleeping bags and thankfully didn't have bed bug problems. Handy place for sightseeing and it's on the right side of town for an easy exit the next day.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Portugues 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
...; I prefer Siervas de Maria only because it upholds the volunteer/donativo principal that's kept the camino going for so long.
Are you sure that it is donativo? If I remember correctly I paid a fixed, but small price (around 5 Euro) back in 2014 there. Has that changed? BC SY

Camino(s) past & future
Frances: St-Jean-PdP - Santiago dC - Muxía - Fisterra (Aug 2017 and March/April 2018)
I stayed at San Javier last month. No sign of bugs. Friendly and clean, and a great location. One of the hospitalieros even washed and dried my laundry, gratis. Can't compare it to anywhere else but have already recommended it to others.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - central from Oporto (2018 - planned)
I'm pretty sure we stayed at Siervas de María when we were in Astorga back in August 2016. It was the large one closer to the entrance to Astorga, not far from the plaza with the Ayunamiento and its fancy clock. What I remember most was that when you checked in you could sign up for either a massage or a podiatry clinic in the albergue, operated by students from a podiatry school. My son was having real challenges with blisters at the time, so we signed him up for the podiatry clinic. Most people went through in about ten or fifteen minutes. They worked an hour and a half on my son's feet. I think it made all the difference.

owms2323

Credential question
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Frances (2014) Camino Frances (2016) Camino Finisterre/Muxia (2017)
Siervas de Maria is the classic pilgrim albergue, run by volunteers from many countries, backed by a local Amigos association. It is clean and friendly, if sometimes a little noisy.

San Javier is privately owned and run, in a big old house right downtown. It's beloved of many, despised by some... just like any other well-used albergue. I cannot say one is much greater than the other; I prefer Siervas de Maria only because it upholds the volunteer/donativo principal that's kept the camino going for so long.
I would Not recommend San Javier. Old and did not seem that clean. IMO

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
I would Not recommend San Javier. Old and did not seem that clean. IMO
Au contraire. It is one of the most atmospheric places on the camino. Yes, it is old. It is one of the old manor houses of the rich. It is clean from the sanitary point of view, has a great kitchen, a great breakfast, and has a masseur if you want a massage in front of the assembled masses.:)

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 101 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 164 25.4%