• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues in Astorga

Fletchonides

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP - Pamplona (2014)
Pamplona - Burgos (2016)
Burgos - Leon (June 2017)
Leon - SdC (June 2018)
It seems from my research that there are two main albergues in Astorga, but neither of them can be booked. Is that correct?

There is Albergue de peregrinos Siervas de María, which has 156 beds, with various size rooms, and there is Albergue San Javier, which has 110 beds, seemingly in bigger rooms?

I think I am leaning towards Siervas de Maria; any opinions would be welcome.
we will be arriving in Astorga on Fri. 1st June. Is there likely to be an issue with getting a bed?

Many thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Siervas de Maria is the classic pilgrim albergue, run by volunteers from many countries, backed by a local Amigos association. It is clean and friendly, if sometimes a little noisy.

San Javier is privately owned and run, in a big old house right downtown. It's beloved of many, despised by some... just like any other well-used albergue. I cannot say one is much greater than the other; I prefer Siervas de Maria only because it upholds the volunteer/donativo principal that's kept the camino going for so long.

They fumigate, but San Javier always seems to end up with bed bugs later in the season. No albergue is immune, so don't avoid them for it. Treat your equipment and you will be fine.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have stayed at both, and both were clean and comfortable. No complaints.
As far as getting a bed on the day you are there? Quien sabe? Who knows?
It is just like the weather on the Camino. No way to predict.

They fumigate, but San Javier always seems to end up with bed bugs later in the season. No albergue is immune, so don't avoid them for it. Treat your equipment and you will be fine.
That's not really a fair statement to make. Not fair to the albergue or to the staff that runs it. Unless you have statistics or proof, that would just be rumour or hearsay. Gossip.
Remember, there are a lot of people who come to this forum, members and non-members alike, who take everything said on here as gospel truth. They read something like that from someone who has walked the Camino before and to them it is fact, when it is not that at all.

I like clean and friendly

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My opinion is stay at the municipal. It is nice. I’ve informed the people at San Javier three separate times about bedbugs and they just shrugged and continued to admit pilgrims. I will never ever stay there again. Nearly every person I’ve met after Astorga who has bedbugs slept there. I feel they are very irresponsible.

Last edited:
Unless you have statistics or proof, that would just be rumour or hearsay.
It is my first hand facts from staying there three times at different times of the year. As I said, they try. One late fall all pilgrims were in the attic while the other two floors were being treated. It is an old, wooden building, and the nesting places are countless. I don't cast aspersions on their effort, but I am skeptical of their victory. It is one of my favorite albergues, but I make sure that I have taken all possible anti-bug precautions when I stay there.

I've stayed at the municipal (Siervas de María ) twice, and I liked it there. Last time I got a donativo massage by students of physiotherapy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tthank you so much. As someone said here recently best is always subjective.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Stayed at San Javier quite few years ago. (Possibly 2014) We did book one day ahead and slept in one of the massive dorms in the attic. We never treated our luggage / sleeping bags and thankfully didn't have bed bug problems. Handy place for sightseeing and it's on the right side of town for an easy exit the next day.

...; I prefer Siervas de Maria only because it upholds the volunteer/donativo principal that's kept the camino going for so long.

Are you sure that it is donativo? If I remember correctly I paid a fixed, but small price (around 5 Euro) back in 2014 there. Has that changed? BC SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm pretty sure we stayed at Siervas de María when we were in Astorga back in August 2016. It was the large one closer to the entrance to Astorga, not far from the plaza with the Ayunamiento and its fancy clock. What I remember most was that when you checked in you could sign up for either a massage or a podiatry clinic in the albergue, operated by students from a podiatry school. My son was having real challenges with blisters at the time, so we signed him up for the podiatry clinic. Most people went through in about ten or fifteen minutes. They worked an hour and a half on my son's feet. I think it made all the difference.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Siervas de Maria is the classic pilgrim albergue, run by volunteers from many countries, backed by a local Amigos association. It is clean and friendly, if sometimes a little noisy.

San Javier is privately owned and run, in a big old house right downtown. It's beloved of many, despised by some... just like any other well-used albergue. I cannot say one is much greater than the other; I prefer Siervas de Maria only because it upholds the volunteer/donativo principal that's kept the camino going for so long.
I would Not recommend San Javier. Old and did not seem that clean. IMO

I would Not recommend San Javier. Old and did not seem that clean. IMO
Au contraire. It is one of the most atmospheric places on the camino. Yes, it is old. It is one of the old manor houses of the rich. It is clean from the sanitary point of view, has a great kitchen, a great breakfast, and has a masseur if you want a massage in front of the assembled masses.:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We stayed in Astorga in May 2015 and I remember it being really hard to find a place to stay. Three of us will be coming again in July (even more busy than May!). Does anyone know the current cost of staying in either of these albergues?

We stayed in Astorga in May 2015 and I remember it being really hard to find a place to stay. Three of us will be coming again in July (even more busy than May!). Does anyone know the current cost of staying in either of these albergues?
I had no problem getting a bed at the Municipal albergue, which is 5 euros. The private albergue San Javier is 10 euros. Here's the info from Gronze https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/astorga

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Siervas de María: 5€; no reservations but HUGE so likely to have room. Kitchen, chapel, back patio, utility sinks and clotheslines. Beds are in various small rooms with 5 or so bunk beds in each.

We stayed in May and there were NO massages, footcare services, etc. Overall, an adequate place to stay.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.