• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

albergues in October

Méhes Judit

Time of past OR future Camino
2012 camino frances,
planning 2016 camino portugués in october
Hello everybody,

I would like to go to camino Portugués in October. Does anybody know the albergues are still open the end of October???

Thanks,

Judit

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello everybody,

I would like to go to camino Portugués in October. Does anybody know the albergues are still open the end of October???

Thanks,

Judit

Hi, they were open in February this year, so they are probably open in October as well. Sometimes they look closed, but there may be a telephone number on the door, which you can call. I stayed at “Sardines & Friends” in Povoa de Varzim on 1 March. (I can recommend it!) It was all closed up, but the shopkeeper across the road saw us dithering, and came out. She kindly phoned the owner/manager for us, who soon came along. (I love the Portuguese!) Jill

Hi, they were open in February this year, so they are probably open in October as well. Sometimes they look closed, but there may be a telephone number on the door, which you can call. I stayed at “Sardines & Friends” in Povoa de Varzim on 1 March. (I can recommend it!) It was all closed up, but the shopkeeper across the road saw us dithering, and came out. She kindly phoned the owner/manager for us, who soon came along. (I love the Portuguese!) Jill

Sounds good :) thank you Jill :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@jsalt Hello Jill, in the same line, would you hazard a guess about November? I guess if places are open in Feb, they are likely to be open in November also?? Are you implying there was sufficient albergue accom in February, without too much hassle? I wouldn't mind walking a bit extra on occasion if I knew there was going to be somewhere to sleep at the end of the day.
And which way did you walk in February? I am guessing Feb ad November would be fairly similar for weather - November possibly not as cold as Febuary.
Tim

@jsalt Hello Jill, in the same line, would you hazard a guess about November? I guess if places are open in Feb, they are likely to be open in November also?? Are you implying there was sufficient albergue accom in February, without too much hassle? I wouldn't mind walking a bit extra on occasion if I knew there was going to be somewhere to sleep at the end of the day.
And which way did you walk in February? I am guessing Feb ad November would be fairly similar for weather - November possibly not as cold as Febuary.
Tim

Hi Tim, albergues and residencials are “open” all year round, but they tend to close occasionally in the off-season: for renovations, family business, any reason you can think of. There is usually a phone number on the door. No problem if you don’t speak Portuguese. Just phone, say a few obvious words in English (“bed”, “room”, “tonight”), and before too long someone will arrive with a key and let you in. It is impossible to say what the weather will be like on that Atlantic coastline at any given time. Sunny days, rainy days, windy days, just expect anything to be thrown at you! My overnight stops below. I started in Sagres, on the Rota Vicentina, in the Algarve, and walked to Lisbon, where I got a bus to Fatima, and continued walking from there. I was with 3 friends, off and on, and not all at the same time, sometimes just one, two or three of us at overnight stops (long story!). Although we didn’t stay at them, we passed several albergues that were open. The weather turned really bad between Esposende and Viana do Castelo. It was impossible to walk next to the sea, as the wind drove the rain straight at us. So we took a bus to Ponte de Lima, and continued on the Central Route in calmer weather. Jill

Sagres (1 Feb 2016), PuraVida Divehouse (B&B, dorm bed)
Vila do Bispo, Casa Mestre GH (twin)
Carrapateira, Surf n Sand Hostel (twin)
Vales, Solar dos Vales (B&B, king – head-to-toe, we’re good friends, we can do this!)
Rogil, Hotel Alcatruz (B&B, twin)
Odeceixe, Casa Margaride (twin)
Sao Teotonio, Sao Teotonio Hotel (B&B, twin)
Odemira, Residencial Rita (B&B, twin)
Sao Luis, Casa da Tia Maria (dorm bed)
Cercal do Alentejo, Casazul M&B (B&B, twin)
Vale Seco, Moinhos do Paneiro (B&B, twin)
Santiago do Cacem, GH A Cocheira (B&B, dorm bed)
Troia (by bus, as nothing in Melides), Blue & Green Hotel (B&B, twin)
Setubal (by ferry), Blue Coast Hostel (dorm bed)
Setubal, Blue Coast Hostel (dorm bed)
Lisbon (by bus), Apartment Fatima (2 rooms)
Fatima (by bus), Hotel Santo Antonio (B&B, single)
Caxarias, Residencial Manalvo (B&B, single)
Ansiao, Adega Tipica (twin)
Rabacal, Tourist Residencial (twin)
Coimbra, Hotel Domus (B&B, twin)
Mealhada, Albergue Hilario (dorm bed)
Agueda, Hotel Ribeirinho (twin)
Albergaria-a-Velha, Casa Alameda (B&B, twin)
Oliveira, Hotel Dighton (B&B, twin)
Sao Joao da Madeira, Solar Sao Joao (B&B, twin)
Porto (by bus), Gallery Hostel (B&B, dorm bed)
Porto, Gallery Hostel (B&B, dorm bed)
Angeiras (bus to Matoshinos), Orbitur bungalow (triple)
Povoa de Varzim, Sardines & Friends Hostel (dorm bed)
Esposende, Hotel Mira Rio (B&B, twin)
Viana do Castelo, Hotel do Parque (B&B, triple)
Ponte de Lima (by bus), Encanada (triple)
Rubiaes, Repouso de Peregrinos (B&B, triple)
Tui, Parador (twin)
Porrino, Xunta Alberge (dorm bed)
Arcade, Hotel Isape (single)
Pontevedra, Hotel Boa Vila (B&B, twin)
Caldas de Reis, Hotel Davila (B&B, twin)
Padron, Hotel Rosalia (B&B, twin)
Santiago de Compostela (12 Mar 2016), PR 25 de Julio (twin)

Hi Tim, albergues and residencials are “open” all year round, but they tend to close occasionally in the off-season: for renovations, family business, any reason you can think of. There is usually a phone number on the door.
@jsalt Thanks a million for this - very helpful and very encouraging. I will keep your list handy. I am thinking to walk perhaps a day or two out of Porto along the "very" coastal route, and then move inland, depending on the weather. If there is an Indian Summer, I might stay on the coast a bit longer. I will be very flexible.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.