• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues in Porto?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPP-Finisterre, 2015
CP, Porto-Finisterre-Muxia, 2016
Hey friends!

Just booked my ticket for the Portugues, starting April 19. I'll want a day or two just to see Porto, so does anyone have any suggestions for:
- Albergues in/around Porto
- Things to See/Do

Also, where can I get a pilgrim passport in Porto?

Thanks everyone!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Lessonslearned,
JohnnieWaker's forum guide https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...–-oporto-to-santiago.124/download?version=156 lists the three places in Porto that provide pilgrim-specific lodging. Porto has a lot of inexpensive pensiones, though, so if you're going to be there a couple of days, you might want to look at booking.com to see what is available in your price range.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a link to a NYT article on things to see in Porto, and you can find other suggestions by searching the forum, because lots of members have been there and love it.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...to-do-in-36-hours-in-porto-portugal.html?_r=0

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/spend-some-time-in-porto.38120/#post-373123

And the credencial is available at the Cathedral. Bom Caminho, Laurie

Any idea if you can stay at albergues as a pilgrim AFTER your camino? We'll be doing the Frances but are flying home out of Lisbon, via Porto.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Any idea if you can stay at albergues as a pilgrim AFTER your camino? We'll be doing the Frances but are flying home out of Lisbon, via Porto.
In Santiago the Girasol is recommended, I like staying at San Martin Pinario or Hotel Fonte San Roque. (I think that's how it's called).

Let me re-phrase my question. Are we only considered pilgrims and eligible to stay at albergues while we're actually on the route (in our case the Frances)? We'll have a few days in Barcelona at the start and a few days in Portugal - Porto, Lisbon and possibly Fatima - before we fly home.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Let me re-phrase my question. Are we only considered pilgrims and eligible to stay at albergues while we're actually on the route (in our case the Frances)? We'll have a few days in Barcelona at the start and a few days in Portugal - Porto, Lisbon and possibly Fatima - before we fly home.

Well, there are no pilgrim albergues in Barcelona, Porto, Lisbon, or Fátima, so it is kind of a moot point in your case. The albergues in these cities are all "albergues juveniles" (youth hostels). You can stay there, but it's likely to be a riotous night with lots of college kids making lots of noise.

But with regard to the specific question about albergue policy -- I remember a few years ago when I was on the Primitivo, the hospitalero had let a few pilgrims who had finished the Norte spend a few nights in the albergue in Oviedo. I don't know how common of a practice that is.

Some hospitaleros will tell you that albergues are for making your way to Santiago, not away from it. I would not count on being given a bed, especially in high season.

So long as you walk I'd guess you would get a bed for at least one night!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We stayed at Dixo's Hostel in Porto good location (Rua Mouzinho da Silveira) and reasonably priced, including breakfast.
Fantastic view from the rooftop deck and common room. Recommended. Jacki.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back