• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues in Portugal- October 2011

sulu

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
a few since 2010
Portugal
Rates - Donativo - Notice on door said it opens at 16.00 but the lady in the shop gave us the key at 14.00. Quaint, quirky place, great sitting area. 3 bedrooms, each sleeping +/- 12 people. Mixed washing and shower areas. Well equiped kitchen, shops within easy reach, internet in the bar near the round clock tower.
Alto de Portela - 5 € great, got everything you would expect. Separate washing and shower areas.
Ponte de Lima - 3€ - Separate wash and shower areas, female showers communal (I didn't try the male ones) Opens 5pm. Well equiped and near town, with bars, shops etc.
Rubiaes - Donativo - a bit isolated, bar 0.5kms, shop 1-2 kms. Outside sitting area, inside sitting area. Separate wash areas
Valenca - 3€ - Not signed, from the fountain carry straight on up the road, not far, it's next to the Bombeiros. opens 1 pm but you may need to call a number. Separate male and female dorms and wash areas. Large supermarket very close. Well equiped kitchen except it had no drinking vessels when I was there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I thought I'd add to this list with some updates on albergues along the Caminho Portugues between Lisbon and Porto. This is a part of the Caminho where pilgrim accommodations are really starting to increase. Towns are making commitments to albergues and some private parties are jumping in as well. Here is what I've been able to piece together (from the online CSJ guide, the updates, and the Via Lusitana website)

SÃO CAETANO (3kms north of Golegã)
Private Albergue: Casa de São Caetano, before the Quinta da Cardiga.
9 beds with breakfast =15€ / Menu Peregrino=8€
Contacts: Alexandre Hachmeister (+351) 917 063 823
alexandre.hachmeister@element.pt

SERNADELO (a short distance to the north of Mealhada).
Private Albergue: on the N1/IC2 road, 50m off-camino.
Contacts: Isabel Canilho / Nuno Canilho
Tel. 916 191 721
12 Places - 12,50€

CERNACHE: A Jesuit institution, the Colégio da Imaculada Conceição, has opened its doors to pilgrims.

AGUEDA: The municipality offers pilgrim accommodations. For information, go to the Câmara Municipal (town council) and ask for Ondina David.
The address is the following:
Praça Município
3754-500 Águeda
Telf.: +351 234 610 070
Most probably it will be in a local artist association that has capacity for about 20 people.

Two towns have announced plans for a municipal albergue: Coimbra and Albergaria a Velha. No details yet on opening date, but the commitment is firm.

Also, the Via Lusitana has a list of accommodations on their webpage:
http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/

Bom caminho everyone, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.