• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues in Santiago

AnnaFinlandia

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Roncesvalles to Leon 2015
Future: Leon to Santiago de Compostela May 2016
Anybody knows if I can stay more than one night in municipal Albergue(s) in Santiago de Compostela? I should be finishing my walk the 12th-13th of May but I'm planning to book my flight for the 15th... I'm just wondering since so many pilgrims are arriving daily if we need to rotate and make room for newcomers.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Most let you stay as long as you need:

Residencia de peregrinos San Lázaro C. San Lázaro, s/n 80 plazas 10-7 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Jaime García Rodríguez Rúa de Moscova, s/n 156 plazas 8 euros | Solo microondas
Albergue Seminario Menor Av. Quiroga Palacios, 2 177 plazas 12-10 euros | Cocina de uso libre Booking (link is external)
Albergue Acuario C. Estocolmo, 2 70 plazas 12-10 euros | Cocina de uso libre Booking (link is external)
Albergue Santo Santiago Rúa do Valiño, 3 38 plazas 12-10 euros | Bar-restaurante
Albergue Meiga Backpackers Rúa dos Basquiños, 67 24 plazas 13-10 euros (d) | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Mundoalbergue C. San Clemente, 26 34 plazas 17-12 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue O Fogar do Teodomiro Pl. de la Algalia de Arriba, 3 20 plazas 18-13 euros | Cocina de uso libre Booking (link is external)
Albergue The Last Stamp Rúa do Preguntoiro, 10 62 plazas 18-15 euros | Cocina de uso libre Booking (link is external)
Albergue Roots and Boots C. Campo Cruceiro do Gaio, 7 48 plazas 18-12 euros | Cocina de uso libre Booking (link is external)
Albergue la Estación Rúa de Xuana Nogueira, 14 bajo 24 plazas 14 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Albergue Porta Real C. Concheiros, 10 24 plazas 15-10 euros | Sin cocina
Albergue Azabache Rúa Acibechería, 15 20 plazas 18-14 euros / Cocina de uso libre
Albergue La Credencial Fonte dos Concheiros, 13 36 plazas 10-14 euros | Cocina de uso libre

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have stayed in Santiago four times and recommend Roots and Boots. I was always treated like family and they are really laid back and accommodating. Albergue Azabache is also nice but I found it a bit impersonal. Roots and Boots is wonderful, a real home from home! You can stay as long as you want.

Regards and Beun Camino!

Davey

The OP IS asking about the muni. I wish I had an answer but I didn't even know there was a muni.

Hola

I can understand the confusion but the Albergue in San Lazaro is the municipal albergue. At the moment there is much speculation about the future of Monte de Gozo - it too is run by the local authority for the moment.

Falcon has helpfully cut and pasted the information from the Gronze site but I still advise pilgrims to get their information in Santiago from the tourist office as it takes Gronze a little time to catch up with changes.

The tourist office can also indicate on the city map where the albergues are located particularly those closest to the centre including the Last Stamp, the Azebache, the Seminario Menor and Roots and Boots.

NB the Albergue Jaime Garcia Rodriguez changed its name over a year ago to the Albergue Fin del Camino. Like San Lazaro, Actuario and Monte de Gozo it lies at some disctance from the cathedral.

John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
John,

Thank you for these updates! Since Monte de Gozo is so large I assume that it will always be most useful for the crowds of late summer and/or Holy Years.

Margaret Meredith

There isn't a muni albergue in Santiago. The closest muni is run by the Xunta in Monte do Gozo.
According to the Albergue listing on this forum, there is a Xunta Albergue in Santiago. It is in Calle San Lazaro, has 80 beds, costs 10 euros. Contact details are www.xacobeo.es and phone number 981 571 488.

According to the Albergue listing on this forum, there is a Xunta Albergue in Santiago. It is in Calle San Lazaro, has 80 beds, costs 10 euros. Contact details are www.xacobeo.es and phone number 981 571 488.

Thank you for this correction.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Actually, there are two types of albergues: private and public. Along the way the most of public albergues are municipal, but in Galicia these ones are run by La Xunta de Galicia, the Galician Government.

Having said this, the public albergue in Santiago is the Residencia de peregrinos San Lázaro and you can stay there up to three nights.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.