• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Albergues - New and Closed!

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi everyone,

The major downside of writing a guidebook is watching changes appear as soon as it goes to publication! Since we sent in the manuscript for the Northern Caminos book, lots of albergues have opened and some have closed, while others have moved. While some of these have already appeared in this forum, I thought I'd pull together as many as I could on this thread--as much for my own sake as everybody else! (Thanks in particular to Peregrino_Tom for recent updates)

I've been particularly focused on the Norte from Irun to the Primitivo split, in preparation for my own trip this summer, so this list focuses there. Anybody hear of any other big news?

Moving east to west...

1) Deba's albergue has moved closer to the entrance of town and has significantly more beds. But, the old protocol remains in effect--go first to the turismo and check in there

2) Between Deba and Markina, Casa Rural Intxauspe has added a dorm room with special pilgrim rates. More here: http://www.intxauspe.com/v1/pub/en/portada/

3) Markina-Xemein has two new private albergues. Restaurante Pitis (centrally located) has added a small albergue and offers dorm beds for 12 euros. Reservations at 657727824.

4) Gernika has long been rumored to be receiving an Albergue de Peregrinos. Not this year. In the past, it has also been possible to sleep in the polideportivo. Alas, also not this year.

5) Eskerika, located roughly 10km after Gernika, now has a private Albergue. 15 euros for bed and breakfast; dinner available for 10 euros. Cheaper than the expensive youth hostel in Gernika. Reservations at 696 453 582.

6) Bilbao has a new youth hostel, located in the old town. The best situated of the youth hostel options. More here: http://www.ganbarahostel.com/

7) Noja has a youth hostel, located above the beach before town. More info here: http://www.nojaaventura.com/el_albergue.html

8) Santander has a new youth hostel, Hostel B&B&B. More info here: http://www.hostelsantander.com/

9) Boo de Pielagos has a Municipal Albergue now, located near the train station and offering a convenient way to break up the walk between Santander and Santillana. 12 euros for bed and breakfast

10) Serdio's albergue de peregrinos has closed

11) I found one source indicating that the Polideportivo in Colombres has closed. Haven't been able to confirm, but that would leave the Albergue Privado as the only option in town

12) Pendueles has an albergue now and I think it will quickly become a must-stay. Donativo, with pilgrim dinner and breakfast

That's it for now. What did I miss?

Dave

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dave, the information you are providing us is essential and I am sure many of us are thankful. Please, keep us updated as you move along the CDN with any tidbits of information we might find useful, and that will make for a better Camino with less surprises!

Ultreia!

Mary

Thanks, Mary!

One more that I missed first time around--the Albergue Privado Irurok in Zenarruza has closed. The monastery is now the only game in town.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Dave,

I'm setting off in a month and have scribbled all these notes into my copy of your new guidebook. Thanks for all the extra information, it really is very useful.

Chris

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the accomodation update a big help as I'm due to start the "Norte" mid May, can you tell me if there is a membership requirment needed to use Spanish youth hostels or is a pilgrim credential enough?

Regards

George

George - just jumping in to say that for the three I stayed at a few weeks ago, your credencial was all they needed to see. In the off-season time that I went they had a lot of capacity and played a really important role in creating an affordable accommodation chain along the Norte. I don't know if they change their role in high season when there are likely to be a lot more young people around. But anyway, by that time more seasonal albergues will be open

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Dave, your help in letting us know of alternative accommodations and of those that are closed is going to make a huge difference to those of us following the CDN within the next few weeks; it gives me peace of mind knowing, instead of facing an unpleasant surprise - especially with the closings. You are providing a great service, keep us abreast of any new findings!
I hope you continue to have a safe trip with your group! Buen Camino, Dave!

Ultreia!

Mary

The hospitaleros usually know what is open/closed ahead even if they do not know what else is available locally. One useful way to find accomodation, if in need, is to call in the first bar in the village/town. While you have a cafe con leche they will tell you where there are possibilities. Sometimes in surprising places.

Isn't that the truth? Locals can be a great source of information for just about anything one might need :D Thanks Valerie!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Dave- A huge thank you! I have also noted in my copy if your guidebook all of the changes you have listed.

Bobbie

Back