• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues not to recommend in Barbardello,Villafranco and Ledigos

Anna1972

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2016
Did the Camino Frances from SJPP from 11 th June to Santiago 10 th July.
Lot's of different experiences, impact of it all hasn't really hit me yet.
On reading some of the blogs on some excellent albergues,I agree that everyone has a different experience. However I would like to just mention a few that let us down on the basics if it is of any help to anyone.
The worst experience I had was at Barbadello.We were very tired and had just passed the little village of Vilei.We passed a lovely albergues on the hill called O Pombal but decided to walk up the hill about 15 minutes to the XH albergues.It was a bit grim looking but we went in and were met by the door by the hospitalerio sitting sternly begind a desk. She never once smiled,and when asked about food we were pointed up the hill to casa del Carmen,dinner only.she said no shop,no restaurant. She didn't point out that the albergues 15 min away we just passed,had a bar menus,shop etc.
We stayed anyway, the kitchen had absolutely no cutlery or utensils of any kind.Neither guide book advised of this.So google any new hostels not in the guide book .in most areas there were a lot more even if the books said just one or two. There was a washing machinethat she shouted at me about detergent being already in the programme but could only hang clothes at the back wall outside where there was no sun.the hospitalerio followed me in when I was using washing machine and if I had wanted just to sit at one of the tables made me feel unwelcome.so I just sat outside where there was nothing, not even a cold drink machine.

The bunk beds were standard,bathroom clean and we were the only ones there.my partner asked for a blanket for night time,she said in Spanish, none,too hot. However in the kitchen there were boxes of stuff packed up.
When we were there sitting outside she put 4 other pilgrims off staying there with her manner and they walked away. That evening we walked back to the nice albergue we had seen and got some food.there we met the four girls she had put off staying. So it wasn't just us.my advice stay at OPombal.
As previous blogs here state,San Fenix was not clean,it was however friendly and kind in every way this woman at Barbadello was not.Despite appearances and a few insect bites there it was fine.
Finally Legidos,El Palomar,just avoid.Cold water,unfriendly, bad beds in rooms,springs sticking out,rooms cold,and staff cold.
Like everything in life there is always an exception and these albergues were an exception to what we experienced on the Camino.Even the most basic hostel is bearable if whoever runs it is just a little kind& courteous, after all mist pilgrims are kind and courteous regardless.
Hope this helps some of you.
All the best,
Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did the Camino Frances from SJPP from 11 th June to Santiago 10 th July.
Lot's of different experiences, impact of it all hasn't really hit me yet.
On reading some of the blogs on some excellent albergues,I agree that everyone has a different experience. However I would like to just mention a few that let us down on the basics if it is of any help to anyone.
The worst experience I had was at Barbadello.We were very tired and had just passed the little village of Vilei.We passed a lovely albergues on the hill called O Pombal but decided to walk up the hill about 15 minutes to the XH albergues.It was a bit grim looking but we went in and were met by the door by the hospitalerio sitting sternly begind a desk. She never once smiled,and when asked about food we were pointed up the hill to casa del Carmen,dinner only.she said no shop,no restaurant. She didn't point out that the albergues 15 min away we just passed,had a bar menus,shop etc.
We stayed anyway, the kitchen had absolutely no cutlery or utensils of any kind.Neither guide book advised of this.So google any new hostels not in the guide book .in most areas there were a lot more even if the books said just one or two. There was a washing machinethat she shouted at me about detergent being already in the programme but could only hang clothes at the back wall outside where there was no sun.the hospitalerio followed me in when I was using washing machine and if I had wanted just to sit at one of the tables made me feel unwelcome.so I just sat outside where there was nothing, not even a cold drink machine.

The bunk beds were standard,bathroom clean and we were the only ones there.my partner asked for a blanket for night time,she said in Spanish, none,too hot. However in the kitchen there were boxes of stuff packed up.
When we were there sitting outside she put 4 other pilgrims off staying there with her manner and they walked away. That evening we walked back to the nice albergue we had seen and got some food.there we met the four girls she had put off staying. So it wasn't just us.my advice stay at OPombal.
As previous blogs here state,San Fenix was not clean,it was however friendly and kind in every way this woman at Barbadello was not.Despite appearances and a few insect bites there it was fine.
Finally Legidos,El Palomar,just avoid.Cold water,unfriendly, bad beds in rooms,springs sticking out,rooms cold,and staff cold.
Like everything in life there is always an exception and these albergues were an exception to what we experienced on the Camino.Even the most basic hostel is bearable if whoever runs it is just a little kind& courteous, after all mist pilgrims are kind and courteous regardless.
Hope this helps some of you.
All the best,
Buen Camino.

@Anna1972
I am a little confused about your comments on O Pombal, where I stayed in Barbadelo last fall. I found it very comfortable and with a full kitchen, but there was no shop and no menu or restaurant of any sort. I am certain of this, because I went back into the village looking for food and found that the only shop was closed. Eventually, I had dinner at Casa de Carmen with the pilgrims who stayed in the Xunta albergue that you found so unpleasant. At that time (November) there was nowhere else. There were a couple of other albergues in the village, but both were closed for the season. Perhaps you are thinking of one of those. I agree that the atmosphere at the Xunta albergues where I stayed was not generally as helpful as at other albergues on the camino. Workers are paid staff and sometimes seem to do the least possible. There is never any kitchenware (pots, dishes etc,) or blankets at Xunta albergues.
If those few insect bites which you mention at San Fenix were from bed bugs, you might be in more trouble than you know. I hope that you haven't brought them home with you.
I hope that your experiences on the camino were favourable as a whole and that the good memories predominate. Thanks for trying to be helpful to future pilgrims.

The worst experience I had was at Barbadello.

Sorry you had a bad experience at the Xunta albergue in Barbadelo, but I don’t think it’s fair to write up a bad report about the albergue itself when it was the hospitalera you had the bad experience with. The hospitaleros change frequently, so next week it could be someone else doing the job. We had a lovely old man who was really kind and gentle. Sometimes I wonder if it is a community service job, and some just hate having to do it. Barbadelo albergue is no better nor worse than any other Xunta albergue. None of them have cooking equipment of any kind, and none of them have blankets. In the winter months the heating is switched on. They are half the price of staying in a private albergue, so expect to get what you pay for. As for a shop, there is one further along the road, at the crossroads and to the right past the bar. Brierley states it is 1.7 kms, but it’s more like 2.5 kms. If you have nothing else to do all afternoon it’s a pleasant stroll there and back. The shop owner is very friendly towards pilgrims. Jill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
but I don’t think it’s fair to write up a bad report about the albergue itself when it was the hospitalera you had the bad experience with
Carmen owns the place, and is always there. Many pilgrims report that she is an excellent hospitalera, so the experience may be variable. If ham-fisted pilgrims caused more repairs to a washer than the cost of the washer (and the meager 4E for hot water and soap), anyone could become protective of their equipment. It behooves each of us to view things from others' perspective. Seemingly high handed actions may have some real logic behind them. Gaucelmo in Rabanal won't let pilgrims operate the centrifugal dryer because they over burden it. The hospitaleros are very friendly in using it, but keep pilgrims away.

Carmen owns the place, and is always there.

Does she own Casa de Carmen as well, the albergue about 200m further up the lane? That’s a great place, and a completely different experience! Casa de Carmen was closed when I first went through Barbadelo, which perhaps explains why the old man was caretaker at the time. Jill

@Anna1972
I am a little confused about your comments on O Pombal, where I stayed in Barbadelo last fall. I found it very comfortable and with a full kitchen, but there was no shop and no menu or restaurant of any sort. I am certain of this, because I went back into the village looking for food and found that the only shop was closed. Eventually, I had dinner at Casa de Carmen with the pilgrims who stayed in the Xunta albergue that you found so unpleasant. At that time (November) there was nowhere else. There were a couple of other albergues in the village, but both were closed for the season. Perhaps you are thinking of one of those. I agree that the atmosphere at the Xunta albergues where I stayed was not generally as helpful as at other albergues on the camino. Workers are paid staff and sometimes seem to do the least possible. There is never any kitchenware (pots, dishes etc,) or blankets at Xunta albergues.
If those few insect bites which you mention at San Fenix were from bed bugs, you might be in more trouble than you know. I hope that you haven't brought them home with you.
I hope that your experiences on the camino were favourable as a whole and that the good memories predominate. Thanks for trying to be helpful to future pilgrims.

Hi Albertagirl,

I stayed at O'Pombal last year, the owner did have a little shop in a shed he opened up for us and we cooked a lovely meal there. There was no restaurant or cafe but he did sell beer and wine also though. Later when walking back from Santiago I stayed at Casa Carmen and ate there.

Davey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just in the Forum (there is praise on the Spanish camino websites, too):

Casa Carmen just beyond Barbadelo is very nice with spacious grounds to relax in (or throw a stick for the dogs!). They do a good dinner and breakfast.I stayed there in April.

I was in the albergue Casa Carmen, in Barbadelo, and the menu was excellent! Host are warm and friendly. I recommend it!!

*Barbadelo, Casa Carmen - skip Sarria and walk a further 4km to this wonderful private albergue.
Buen Camino!

It is possible to have a bad experience anywhere. There is a post about Granon where the volunteer hospitaleros lost control of the kitchen, and ruined the experience for that pilgrim. It is useful to post personal experience and the facts of that experience, but readers should always keep a perspective! There can be a lot of factors to consider, and we almost never get the other side of the story.

Just in the Forum (there is praise on the Spanish camino websites, too):

Casa Carmen just beyond Barbadelo is very nice with spacious grounds to relax in (or throw a stick for the dogs!). They do a good dinner and breakfast.I stayed there in April.

I was in the albergue Casa Carmen, in Barbadelo, and the menu was excellent! Host are warm and friendly. I recommend it!!

*Barbadelo, Casa Carmen - skip Sarria and walk a further 4km to this wonderful private albergue.
Buen Camino!

It is possible to have a bad experience anywhere. There is a post about Granon where the volunteer hospitaleros lost control of the kitchen, and ruined the experience for that pilgrim. It is useful to post personal experience and the facts of that experience, but readers should always keep a perspective! There can be a lot of factors to consider, and we almost never get the other side of the story.

I thought the OP meant the Xunta in Barbadelo not Casa Carmen where she ate?

Davey

I thought the OP meant the Xunta in Barbadelo not Casa Carmen where she ate?
I parsed the punctuation again, and I think you are right! Still, I will leave the praise for Casa Carmen!! Nothing surprises me about xunta albergues. One has to keep expectations low, then everything is fine...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I parsed the punctuation again, and I think you are right! Still, I will leave the praise for Casa Carmen!! Nothing surprises me about xunta albergues. One has to keep expectations low, then everything is fine...

True about Xunta albergues, they do what they do and are fine with me, just don't expect to cook in their kitchens! and I agree with you on Casa Carmen, I had a wonderful stay there, but did prefer O' Pombal slightly out of the two.

Davey

Hi Albertagirl,

I stayed at O'Pombal last year, the owner did have a little shop in a shed he opened up for us and we cooked a lovely meal there. There was no restaurant or cafe but he did sell beer and wine also though. Later when walking back from Santiago I stayed at Casa Carmen and ate there.

Davey

@Davey Boyd
I was the only pilgrim to stay that night at O Pombal. All others stayed at the Xunta albergue. It is possible that the owner of O Pombal either could not be bothered opening his little shop for one person or had stopped keeping it for the season, as there was little demand. There were two other albergues in Barbadelo, both closed for the season. A small shop which I had been counting on for food was also closed. Nonetheless, I had a good dinner at Casa Carmen with the company of those who stayed at the Xunta albergue. But the OP's description of O Pombal did not fit my experience as there was no sign of bar or restaurant. It was a great place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone. But you should bring food from Sarria or book your dinner at Casa Carmen if your are going through late in the season.

Carmen owns the place, and is always there.

Just clarifying that the delightful Carmen does not own the Xunta albergue in Barbadelo. I’m glad about that because I was very confused :confused:. Your post completely blew my understanding of how Xunta albergues operate :p. Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does she own Casa de Carmen as well, the albergue about 200m further up the lane? That’s a great place, and a completely different experience! Casa de Carmen was closed when I first went through Barbadelo, which perhaps explains why the old man was caretaker at the time. Jill

Fully agree - had a great night at Carmen - yes it was up hill after the climb from Sarria but so much more enjoyable - and that view looking south over the valley, just great.
(# Albertagirl - I read it as being that the Xunta Albergue was the place to avoid - not Pombal!)

Spaces, format, and punctuation can be helpful. :)
Even for a native English speaker, punctuation & grammar can be difficult enough. But when you add in the difficulties of computer keyboards; tablets - with touch keypads - and it becomes too much. So lets just be a bit forgiving - especially in this week of St James Day??!!o_O:rolleyes:;):)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
(# Albertagirl - I read it as being that the Xunta Albergue was the place to avoid - not Pombal!)
I agree with this and thought this was clear in my post, where I said:
It was a great place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone.
For the sake of future pilgrims, I was pointing out that there is no bar/restaurant at O Pombal and there was no possibility of buying any food there when I stayed there in November, 2015. At that time, options were to eat at the restaurant at Casa Carmen or to buy food in Sarria to be cooked in the kitchen at O Pombal, as the local tienda was closed.

Carmen owns the place, and is always there. Many pilgrims report that she is an excellent hospitalera, so the experience may be variable. If ham-fisted pilgrims caused more repairs to a washer than the cost of the washer (and the meager 4E for hot water and soap), anyone could become protective of their equipment. It behooves each of us to view things from others' perspective. Seemingly high handed actions may have some real logic behind them. Gaucelmo in Rabanal won't let pilgrims operate the centrifugal dryer because they over burden it. The hospitaleros are very friendly in using it, but keep pilgrims away.
We used to get a pilgrim to SIT on the spin dryer - only way to stop it falling over!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back