Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues on Camino Primitivo in Winter

Angela Leon

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte from Irun (2015)
Camino Portugues from Lisbon (2016)
Finisterra and Muxia (2016)
Camino Frances WInter 09/12/2016
Hello, I am planing to walk the Camino Primitivo in December , however I am a bit concern about albergues. Anybody can please give me information about Albergues, and how hash the weather is.

Thank you

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I cannot tell how how harsh winter is as I have not walked this route, or any for that matter!, in winter. But my guess is snowy, and you would not catch me on the Hopitales route, nor up that hill towards A Fonsagrada.

Regarding albergues, if you google "Eroski camino primitivo" you will find a website that offers examples of etapas and the albergues along the way. For each albergue it shows the dates when they are open. Another website is Gronze, it lists albergues as well as pensiones, hotels, etc.

My guess is that if the albergues are not open the route can't be much fun in winter.

I have not walked it but it is a mountain route so I'd be concerned about the weather. As I understand it snow can be heavy, and fog make it easy to miss the markers and get lost. It sounds like there are some steep drops off the side in places.

Hopefully you will get responses to your question from some of our members who have walked the route in the off-season. @peregrina2000?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Angela,
I have walked the Primitivo in October, but never in December. We woke up in the morning in Tineo to see heavy snow in the mountains, at much higher elevations -- so it was just beautiful and didn't affect us. I don't know what the chances of snow at lower elevations are, but the Primitivo between Tineo and Fonsagrada has a fair number of points above 1000 m.

It's not a camino I'd walk in winter, but December may be early enough to avoid big snows. Good advice from Anemone to check albergues on the Eroski site: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/primitivo/. If it's like other caminos, the municipal ones will definitely be open, though whether they will be warm inside is another question.

Buen camino, Laurie

It all depends on how early the heavier snow starts and lasts in any year.
Advice given for May walkers was that if the expected snow fall is below 2000 metres then don't walk certain sections until it has passed, this would be the sort of weather that @peregrina2000 experienced/saw in October. Others have said that they would walk in December, but have not come back to the forum to say that they were able to complete the Primitivo. It might be achievable starting from A Fonsagrada as the highest passes are then missed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much all for your advice =)

Friends last winter had to abandon route...markers covered by snow and harsh weather. I would not walk the mountains in winter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back