• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues on the Camino Frances

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
All the lists of albergues seem to be somewhat outdated and much has probably changed since Covid. Which website has the most up-to-date information? The information on Gronze is quite comprehensive but I wonder how current it is. Also, has anyone ever compiled a list of donativo albergues? I am enquiring for a friend who will be walking for the first time on the 1 September.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked fall of 2021 and summer of 2022 and found Gronze very reliable. Obviously, the situation has been in flux and I would guess that there aren’t any perfect resources.

This is a copy of the albergue booklet that we were giving out at the Pilgrim Office in SJPP in May when I was a volunteer. It had supposedly been updated as of April. It must be SOMEWHERE on line, but we couldn’t seem to locate it.

Attachments

• 3D6FA93F-2B12-4632-825C-5D0963293855.jpeg
    3D6FA93F-2B12-4632-825C-5D0963293855.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • 1CB92B39-D387-4241-97DD-24C5CBAC168D.jpeg
    1CB92B39-D387-4241-97DD-24C5CBAC168D.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
  • 3B144EEB-2B64-46AB-8D98-2D8181B5656C.jpeg
    3B144EEB-2B64-46AB-8D98-2D8181B5656C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 8BE3EBFF-AE83-4141-B9EA-6E167A82F105.jpeg
    8BE3EBFF-AE83-4141-B9EA-6E167A82F105.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 8338092B-4423-4D17-95DE-78C13EEAB1E6.jpeg
    8338092B-4423-4D17-95DE-78C13EEAB1E6.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • BAA692C1-94C0-4265-9BBC-4BC9ACBC4D98.jpeg
    BAA692C1-94C0-4265-9BBC-4BC9ACBC4D98.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
All the lists of albergues seem to be somewhat outdated and much has probably changed since Covid. Which website has the most up-to-date information? The information on Gronze is quite comprehensive but I wonder how current it is. Also, has anyone ever compiled a list of donativo albergues? I am enquiring for a friend who will be walking for the first time on the 1 September.
I can vouch for the info on wisepilgrim. I
I think between WisePilgrim and Gronze you will be covered. Also starting on September 1 I tend to doubt any albergue listed as open will be closed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anyone searching recently the albergues in Pamplona for the month of September?
I did and found all albergues including a municipal albergue{Jesus y Maria) are completando
in the entire Pamplona areas. The email from the municipal albergue is saying from May through the September are completo. I was able to book for the night of 9/17/2022 at the Obel pension in Villava about 2.5 miles before the Pamplona yesterday. so anyone having the same problems that I had?

I did and found all albergues including a municipal albergue{Jesus y Maria) are completando
in the entire Pamplona areas.
This seems to be an inaccurate statement that will create rumours and unfounded alarm for many people.

How did you search?

I have just used booking.com (which we know has only a fraction of the accommodation available) and I checked all 30 days in September - one by one - to look for accommodation. There was albergue lodging available on every single day, except for two Saturdays - the 17th and 24th. On those days there was other reasonably-priced accommodation, but admittedly quite limited selection there on booking.com.
The email from the municipal albergue is saying from May through the September are completo.
What exactly did they say? That they were filled every day from May 1 through September 30? I don't know how recently the website of Pamplona turismo has been updated, but it says something quite different. This is something that could cause confusion in translation but on the website, the English and Spanish versions are consistent:
Bookings. The hostel offers a booking service for pilgrims and tourists alike, except for the period from 1st May to 30th September, both inclusive. During this period, no prior booking will be accepted and the places available will be occupied on a first-come first-served basis.

The information on Gronze is quite comprehensive but I wonder how current it is.
I have used Gronze extensively for finding accommodations on my Caminos. Just walked the Portugués por la Costa in April/May. Gronze was spot on regarding prices. If they quote a range (i.e., €12-15), I found the bed/room rate was more likely to be toward the middle to the higher end of the range.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
in the entire Pamplona areas. The email from the municipal albergue is saying from May through the September are completo. I was able to book for the night of 9/17/2022 at the Obel pension in Villava about 2.5 miles before the Pamplona yesterday. so anyone having the same problems that I had?
I don't see the same problem.

Since the first half of September is approaching which is THE peak period for pilgrims in the section SJPP to Pamplona and both you and the OP's friend and numerous other forum members will be walking, it is worth having a close look. The other peak period for pilgrims in this area is the first half of May.

Acoording to Gronze.com, there are 6 albergues in Pamplona, meaning that they offer a bed for less than €20 a night in shared dormitories. There are 20 pensions, hostals (note the 'a' in the name) and hotels with prices ranging from €25 to €150 for a single bed.

Of the 6 albergues, 4 are on Booking.com. As are nearly all the other 20 establishments. 2 albergues - Casa Paderborn and Jesús and Maria - cannot be booked. Paderborn never and J&M not during September (and other months), according to online information. They are not "completo" for all of September at this point in time.

Of the same 6 albergues, only 2 are exclusively for pilgrims, namely Paderborn and Pamplona-Iruñako Aterpea. The other 4 accept non-pilgrims, too.

You wanted to stay in Pamplona on the 17th of September. It is as Saturday. Pamplona sees a high influx of visitors during weekends. Hence, demand for beds is highest on Friday and Saturday.

Booking.com allows you to see a monthly overview with daily prices for each establishment. Below is a summary of the current situation for the 4 bookable albergues with prices under €20 for a bed in September. Note that these dates are mostly Saturdays, with a few Fridays and one Sunday. This reflects only the situation on Booking.com; there may be availability when you contact the albergue directly.

Plaza: Full on 3, 17, 23 and 24
Iruñaka: Full on 16, 17, and 24
Ibarola: Full on 17, and 23-25
Aloha: Full on 3, 16, and 17. On the 24th, price is €60 instead of the usual €20.

I've posted all these details because I hope that it will be useful for others planning to walk soon and stay in Pamplona and to make them aware that demand for beds is high on weekends but much less so on other days of the week. Pamplona is rarely "completo".

Last edited:
This seems to be an inaccurate statement that will create rumours and unfounded alarm for many people.

How did you search?

I have just used booking.com (which we know has only a fraction of the accommodation available) and I checked all 30 days in September - one by one - to look for accommodation. There was albergue lodging available on every single day, except for two Saturdays - the 17th and 24th. On those days there was other reasonably-priced accommodation, but admittedly quite limited selection there on booking.com.

What exactly did they say? That they were filled every day from May 1 through September 30? I don't know how recently the website of Pamplona turismo has been updated, but it says something quite different. This is something that could cause confusion in translation but on the website, the English and Spanish versions are consistent:
Bookings. The hostel offers a booking service for pilgrims and tourists alike, except for the period from 1st May to 30th September, both inclusive. During this period, no prior booking will be accepted and the places available will be occupied on a first-come first-served basis.
did and found all albergues including a municipal albergue{Jesus y Maria) are completando
in the entire Pamplona areas.
I too believe your information is incorrect.
Casa Paderborn clearly states no reservations accepted:
To confirm what CCleary stated Jesus y Maria does not accept reservations between May 1 and September 30:
I also put in some random dates in September and Hosel Ibarralo, Plaza Cathedral Irunako and Aloha (all hostels/albergues listed in Gronze) have availability.

Casa Paderborn in Pamplona is open for instance and will be until late October. No reservations possible.
According to the German society running it, occupancy is about 70% in average.
In September you should have Avery good chance to find a bed there.
More Information on Facebook:
Casa Paderborn / Pamplona

Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many ( if not all ) municipal albergues will not allow reservations at all. Many albergues ( private types) will keep back some beds for those arriving tired and on foot. Weekends in major towns and cities will mean an influx of visitors , pilgrims and tourists alike and beds will be at a premium.

This is a copy of the albergue booklet that we were giving out at the Pilgrim Office in SJPP in May when I was a volunteer. It had supposedly been updated as of April. It must be SOMEWHERE on line, but we couldn’t seem to locate it.
there have been changes since april. some albergues listed were closed, but many listed as closed were open or were opening in july.

I always check gronze's comments section of each albergue I plan to stay in. if there are recent comments, it's open.

I updated my camino list since I returned from my may/june camino with info I gathered on the route but I wasn't checking every albergue out there. it's here if you are interested.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back