• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues on the Camino Portugese from Lisbon

Brent Mills

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del norte
I’m planning on starting the Portugese from Lisbon in mid March. I concerned whether albergues will be open at that time. Can anyone provide an answer?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m planning on starting the Portugese from Lisbon in mid March. I concerned whether albergues will be open at that time. Can anyone provide an answer?
Other than maybe around Golega, I believe the closures listed mean there's only one albergue south of Tomar--the little one at Asseiceira. Probably your best bet for finding out about that would be the Tomar tourist office, since Asseiceira is within Tomar municipality, and is a small town where those in charge likely don't speak English.

There should be plenty of small hotels and rooms for rent, though.

Mid-March should be a really nice time to be walking. Pleasant temperatures, sun but not baking sun...

Bom caminho!

Other than maybe around Golega, I believe the closures listed mean there's only one albergue south of Tomar--the little one at Asseiceira. Probably your best bet for finding out about that would be the Tomar tourist office, since Asseiceira is within Tomar municipality, and is a small town where those in charge likely don't speak English.

There should be plenty of small hotels and rooms for rent, though.

Mid-March should be a really nice time to be walking. Pleasant temperatures, sun but not baking sun...

Bom caminho!
I don’t know if it’s open by mid March, but this Albergue is not far from where Paula used to have her Albergue south of Santarem:

I don’t know if it’s open by mid March, but this Albergue is not far from where Paula used to have her Albergue south of Santarem:
Oops, looks like it’s not going to post the link. It’s the albergue Dos Caminhos in Valada

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Struggling to find a first night stop as Alpriate is closed. And I don’t really want to walk 30km on the first day.
Any ideas/ thoughts?

Struggling to find a first night stop as Alpriate is closed. And I don’t really want to walk 30km on the first day.
Any ideas/ thoughts?
Hi Philip. If you don't want a long first day your best bet may be to walk as far as you feel like and get a train or taxi back to Lisbon, then back to your first day finishing point the next day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Any ideas/ thoughts?
We walked to Alpriate day and then took a taxi to a place called Sleep Inn Bucelas. Took a taxi back to Alpriate the next day. It’s not an albergue to be sure, cost us a little more, but it was a great place to stay for the first night.

We walked to Alpriate day and then took a taxi to a place called Sleep Inn Bucelas. Took a taxi back to Alpriate the next day. It’s not an albergue to be sure, cost us a little more, but it was a great place to stay for the first night.
Sounds good, thank you

Any ideas/ thoughts?

Hi Philip. If you don't want a long first day your best bet may be to walk as far as you feel like and get a train or taxi back to Lisbon, then back to your first day finishing point the next day.
I did this, and it worked like a charm. I had some things to do in Lisbon in the morning, but got back out to the station at Povoa later in the morning, had a bite to eat there before heading on to Vila Franca de Xira for the night. I did this again on the way into Santarem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did this, and it worked like a charm. I had some things to do in Lisbon in the morning, but got back out to the station at Povoa later in the morning, had a bite to eat there before heading on to Vila Franca de Xira for the night. I did this again on the way into Santarem.
This is a pretty feasible technique in those first days out of Lisboa. If you take a Regional train (R) rather than an intercity (IC) or fast AlfaPendular (AP--don't ask me; I think it's the kind of train carriage they are!)--anyway, there's a regional essentially every hour all day; they're the cheapest and the slowest--but slow is only an hour to Santarém--anyway, the Regionals stop at all the small stations.

And if you're 65 or over, don't forget to show your passport when you buy your ticket, and ask for the "reformado" rate for seniors--50% off, regardless of citizenship.

Portuguese rail tickets are one of the country's best deals.

Sample schedule, leaving Lisboa Oriente station at 0853. Fare is 6.25 euros; 3.13 for over 65s.

1676429045849.png

Last edited:
Any ideas/ thoughts?
If you prefer not to use transport, another option could be this:

Take a very leisurely first day from Lisbon, getting into the rhythm of the walk, enjoying the Alfama neighbourhood and perhaps visiting the Tile Museum (directly on the camino) before reaching the Nações area of Lisbon, 8km from the starting point. This is a modern part of Lisbon that was developed for the 1998 World Expo and there are a lot of shops and restaurants around there. You could find a place to stay in that area and then continue the next day to Alverca.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back