Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues open/closed on the Primitivo?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I read a blog the other day where the pilgrim said of the Camino Norte, "don't count on any albergues being open, even if the guide books say they are, and don't presume some are closed just because the guide books say they are. Private albergue owners take a holiday, close for a long weekend, or just don't pitch up. Always phone ahead before deciding where to stay." This advice might apply to the Primitivo as well.
I also remember Javier (from Madrid) saying on this forum:
"I imagine the Camino ingles would be very wet, the same on the Camino del Norte. If I was you, I would try the Portuguese, or the Camino Frances, but absolutely NOT the Camino Primitivo in winter. The Camino Primitivo (from Oviedo to Lugo) is wonderful. But, do not walk alone in Winter because you will be on your own. Often the path is very far from housing so if you stumble ... No antennas so the phone does not work. (Javier - Madrid, Spain)

sillydoll said:
I read a blog the other day where the pilgrim said of the Camino Norte, "don't count on any albergues being open, even if the guide books say they are, and don't presume some are closed just because the guide books say they are. Private albergue owners take a holiday, close for a long weekend, or just don't pitch up. Always phone ahead before deciding where to stay." This advice might apply to the Primitivo as well.
I also remember Javier (from Madrid) saying on this forum:
"I imagine the Camino ingles would be very wet, the same on the Camino del Norte. If I was you, I would try the Portuguese, or the Camino Frances, but absolutely NOT the Camino Primitivo in winter. The Camino Primitivo (from Oviedo to Lugo) is wonderful. But, do not walk alone in Winter because you will be on your own. Often the path is very far from housing so if you stumble ... No antennas so the phone does not work. (Javier - Madrid, Spain)

Thanks Sil.........if albs are uncertain, then it becomes difficult. Thanks for the quote from Javier too, tho' I'm not concerned about being on my own, nor about falling or having no phone(I probably wont take one anyway). I'm just back from the Cam Portugues, and the Cam Frances seems to be problematic, at least since my last times there, tho' this was a long time ago. I keep reading about filth and rubbish on the Way, and indifferent or unfriendly characters. But maybe only the bad news is prominent, as in many areas. I had such a great time on my 1st/2nd Frances walks, with none of the negatives apparent now.

I may have the chance for another shortish camino in Jan/Feb, and am sounding out possibilities. If it were summer, then I wouldnt be concerned, as I would just sleep "a les belles etoiles" if I had to. But in Jan/Feb it's not a good idea for an old gent. :shock:

But I have a fresh credencial ready for use!

Thanks!

If anyone else has info on this question - please share! Tho' it seems to be much less discussed than other ways.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think Sil is right in saying that there will be no definitive list of 'open' albergues for January / February. The albergue in Pola de Allande was still closed when I went through on 15th. May 2009. If you speak reasonable Spanish, the proprietor of the hotel Nueva Allendesa, Calle Donato Fernandez 3, Pola de Allande 985 80 70 27 is (or was) one of the 'Amigos del Camino'. He would know of the possibilities in the Provincia de Asturias. In fact he rang through from the hotel to check for me, after I found the albergue closed, before he would book me in as a hotel guest!
Another contact might be the Pilgrims' Chaplain in Lugo (sorry I don't have a phone number):-
El Revdo. José Otero Seijas, Oficina de Perigrinos, S. I.Catedral B. de Lugo
Again I found him most helpful
After our experience on the Primitivo in May last year - there was knee deep mud and water in some places and snow in the wind in Tineo on the 12th. May :shock: , I would seriously suggest a lower level route for Jan / Feb.

Buen Camino whatever you decide to do!
Blessings
Tio Tel

Thank you Terry - excellent info, not only for me but for others who look in here.

The weather thing isn't a hassle for me, tho' I won't be keen on driving rain :shock: . The deep mud is a bit of a check tho! I had several days of rain on the CP. recently, but not that.

But my means are modest :roll: and I can't really do hotels etc.

Yours and Sil's info is really helpful in my decision making, for as yet, I'm still finding out. I've looked around this site and another, but the winter alb situation isn't mentioned.

Muchas! :D

One thing that folk do need to be aware of, is the lack of public transport on the Primitivo between Grandas de Salime and Fonsagrada. This is the 'border crossing' between Asturias and Gallicia! We have made enquires and the only way to get between the two towns is by taxi over a distance of some 25 kilometers - not cheap, as you may have to pay the equivalent of the return fare! it does mean that if you are walking, especially out of season, that you need a phone number with you. I found that there was a signal to my mobile when on higher ground. No signal in the valley bottoms.

Take care if you go!

Blessings on your walking
Tio Tel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back