• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues open in Winter? 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laina Rose

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello! My mom and I are planning to hiking the El Camino France this winter starting around the middle of January. I have been doing some research on what a winter hike on the Camino looks like and it seems like on of the problems might be that a lot of the Albergues close in the winter. I was wondering if anyone had advice on which ones will be open and how I can know in advance? Also any other winter hiking advice would be great or guide book suggestions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Awesome, I'll check it out thanks! Good to hear there will be some other pilgrims out there with us, from what I've been reading winter is not a very popular time to do the walk.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am just taking the opportunity to walk the CF again without the crowds.
I have walked the CF in various months in the past but before the huge crowds that are now there later in the year.
I have walked the other routes in recent years in the warm months.
This will be different:cool:
I will not make a lot of preparation other than reserving a first night in St Jean.
The list of open albergues and availability of pensions/ hotels allows one to just take it as it comes.

It sounds like you have done quite a bit of hiking on the El Camino! Any tips for someone preparing for their first hike abroad? Another question I had was about cell phones, because we're from the US our phone won't work. It seems like it would be nice to be able to call ahead and check availability in Albergues. Or do you think we'll be fine without phones?

This forum is the best place to prepare for the Camino. Take the time to look around the various forums to see the big volume of information available.
Check out the
miscellaneous forum,
equipment forum,
Camino France's forum
Cell phone forum
Many more.

What cell phone are you using? Which provider?
Our U.S. smart phones do work in Europe.....but expense is an issue.
If you have an unlocked phone...buying a local SIM card is the best/easiest way to go..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The forums have definitely been a great source of information so far and I'm planning to continue reading through them! I'm using the iPhone 5s but and my provider is Verizon which from the minimal research I did looks like it is not as easy to switch to Europe as some other providers are. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it!

The forums have definitely been a great source of information so far and I'm planning to continue reading through them! I'm using the iPhone 5s but and my provider is Verizon which from the minimal research I did looks like it is not as easy to switch to Europe as some other providers are. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it!

Your Verizon iPhone 5S is already unlocked and is easy to swap to a prepaid Spanish SIM card with data.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

Here is a previous thread about using a Verizon iPhone in Spain with a prepaid SIM card.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/verizon-in-spain.33400/#post-336959

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Albergues open in winter (November 1st 2015 to February 29th 2016)
If you are walking or cycling the Camino francés this winter, between the dates indicated above, you can find completely up-to-date, accurate details of which albergues are open/closed on what days in the following website: www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno
You are requested, however, NOT TO MAKE PHOTOCOPIES of this information and NOT TO COPY/PASTE IT INTO OTHER EMAILS/ DOCUMENTS, as this information is susceptible to very rapid and very frequent changes. The website is updated on a daily basis, since the availability (or not) of accommodation in a given albergue can vary, even from one day to the next, at this time of year.

Even we early spring walkers will appreciate this link. Thank you.
But...it will not load, saying, basically, 'not found.'
???

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The correct link is http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ somehow the link Acogida Invierno (welcome to the forum btw!) got messed up a bit and points to some place else on the forum. Perhaps Acogida Invierno or a mod can edit the original post to solve that problem? Buen Camino! SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.