• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding albergues in the winter

peregrina2000

Staff member
Update in 2022:
The posted list http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ is still valid. This list is maintained each year from about November 1, through the winter. (The web link remains visible through the rest of the year, but there is no information on the page.)

Original post...

Since Kanga just posted about the closure of the Napoleon Route through Orisson, it reminded me that winter pilgrims also need updated news on the status of albergues. I think Reb was the one to introduce us to this website and I know it is a godsend. It is updated regularly, as soon as new info is available. A student of mine walked with his mom and sister last year over the holidays and told me that they would have really been in deep trouble without this. So, winter pilgrims, enjoy and buen camino, Laurie

http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is an opportunity for solitude, but pray for heat (water & dormitories) and blankets. Sleeping bags are an absolute necessity.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks and a warm hat are great to wear to bunk/bed wben it is really cold. Over past caminos the coldest I have ever slept was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos del Camino municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless dressed as above I was snug in my sleeping bag and liner.

For more tips re sleeping in cold weather see this earlier forum thread.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sleeping-system-for-cold-weather.40968/

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not planning to walk in winter but just in case the opportunity ever arises, what’s the situation with private accommodation in winter? I actually like staying in albergues but every now and then it’s nice to have a big towel night.

I have done the frances many times and now I am wondering if I should do it again from mid november. Reading all the warnings on this board about all the closed albergues has put me a bit off the idea. But I suddenly remembered that when starting in St. Jean Pied de Port you get a list of accommodation. This list has all the closing and opening dates. I have a copy of this list from october 2017. The list from Amies de chemin says there are albergues open out november and december in Roncevalle, Zubiri, Pamplona, Puenta de la Reina, Estella and the list continues. Many of these cities has many albergues open these months. With all the warnings on this board I am starting to wonder if there is something I do not comprehend. When the big towns and main villages on the camino frances has municipal albergues open, then they are open as normal? I read somewhere online (can't remember where) that the albergue municipale in Viana was listed as open but a policeman had the key and did not show up before late at night to let in the pilgrim. Is this normal practise or will there be hospitalieroes/staff to welcome People in most Places listed as open? As far as I can see there should be sufficient albergues open to do the Camino without any problems, or is there something I do not grasp? I also see that People Write there are very few pilgrims, but when small villages like Zubiri has Three albergues open out november and one of them open out december, then they can not all be empty? (Sorry my first Language is not English).

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since Kanga just posted about the closure of the Napoleon Route through Orisson, it reminded me that winter pilgrims also need updated news on the status of albergues. I think Reb was the one to introduce us to this website and I know it is a godsend. It is updated regularly, as soon as new info is available. A student of mine walked with his mom and sister last year over the holidays and told me that they would have really been in deep trouble without this. So, winter pilgrims, enjoy and buen camino, Laurie

http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

I walked the CF in January last year. I was very surprised at the number of pilgrims walking.

The http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno that Laurie posted is an excellent resource to finding open albergues. It is, of course, not completely accurate at all times due to changes by the individual owners and hospitalaros.
You will also be given a pretty up to date list by the Pilgrim Office in SJPP..if you ask. If you use both lists..you will have a good source of info.
If you start after St. Jean it may be a good idea to ask other pilgrims if they have the list and then add the differences to your copy of the
Acogida list above.

There usually was something open everywhere...but I do recall a couple of towns where there were nothing open, including pensions even though the lists indicated there were beds there. It required moving on to the next village so checking ahead is a really good idea.

A few years ago there were few winter pilgrims..thus few albergues found it appropriate to stay open.
Now...there are enough pilgrims to justify staying open.
An example is that there were 18 pilgrims in the municipal albergue in mid January when I started in SJPP. They had just one dorm open and it was full. This was common to just have the albergues partially open as the numbers are far fewer than the busy months.

I was the only returning pilgrim out of the 18 in the SJPP muni. The others were all 1st time pilgrims.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You will also be given a pretty up to date list by the Pilgrim Office in SJPP..if you ask. If you use both lists..you will have a good source of info.
If you start after St. Jean it may be a good idea to ask other pilgrims if they have the list and then add the differences to your copy of the
Acogida list above.
Do you think it would be possible to get a copy of the winter list from SJPDP electronically from them to print out while I'm still at home? I'm starting in Roncesvalles in January as my knee has decided day 1 on the Pyrenees isn't a good idea this year but I'd still like to have a copy in hand. I wonder if they would consider adding a page to their website with this important information...?

This post is a great gem for me,i will be on the Camino nest sunday and you gave me very precious info,thamk you

The website talks about albergues open up to 28th January. Does that mean that in March there will be more?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The website talks about albergues open up to 28th January. Does that mean that in March there will be more?
Easter is early, so some will open a week before to get some revenue from the surge of pilgrims, mostly León onward. The Easter pilgrim is mostly Spanish, and they are mostly 100 km pilgrims.

I’m starting from SJPdP on 22nd March.... so it’s probably only the first week I’ll need to check individual Albuergues for, then, from what you say.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m starting from SJPdP on 22nd March.... so it’s probably only the first week I’ll need to check individual Albuergues for, then, from what you say.

The Pilgrim Office in SJPdP will have a pretty current list of open albergues to hand out along with some other information.

As someone posted above, be open to using other accomondation in the event that an albergue is not available at some point.
That way you can eliminate the stress of "having" to find an open albergue.

I have walked the CF several times in March and have not had any problems with a mix of accomondations.

I have done the frances many times and now I am wondering if I should do it again from mid november. Reading all the warnings on this board about all the closed albergues has put me a bit off the idea. But I suddenly remembered that when starting in St. Jean Pied de Port you get a list of accommodation. This list has all the closing and opening dates. I have a copy of this list from october 2017. The list from Amies de chemin says there are albergues open out november and december in Roncevalle, Zubiri, Pamplona, Puenta de la Reina, Estella and the list continues. Many of these cities has many albergues open these months. With all the warnings on this board I am starting to wonder if there is something I do not comprehend. When the big towns and main villages on the camino frances has municipal albergues open, then they are open as normal? I read somewhere online (can't remember where) that the albergue municipale in Viana was listed as open but a policeman had the key and did not show up before late at night to let in the pilgrim. Is this normal practise or will there be hospitalieroes/staff to welcome People in most Places listed as open? As far as I can see there should be sufficient albergues open to do the Camino without any problems, or is there something I do not grasp? I also see that People Write there are very few pilgrims, but when small villages like Zubiri has Three albergues open out november and one of them open out december, then they can not all be empty? (Sorry my first Language is not English).

You say that English is not your first language.
Please do not apologise. Your written English is much better than the spoken speech I hear every day.
Thank you.

Maybe I am too late for the link to winter albergues to work but I have clicked on it multiple times from the original poster and subsequent posters and it open to an email contact but no list. Is it necessary to actually contact the original poster to receive the list? 🤔

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The list of albergues that expect to be open in the winter is maintained each year from about November 1, through the winter. (The web link remains valid through the rest of the year, but there is no information on the page.)

Even with this list, it is wise to confirm the details close to the time, because circumstances can change!

Translation of the introductory paragraph on that site:

This list is periodically updated and can be found on www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno and on Facebook: Aprinca Albergues Invierno. There may be other places that we do not know about or do not want to be included in it.
If you find an error in this list, please communicate it to hostinvierno@gmail.com

Last edited:
Just saw on Instagram that Albergue Casa Susi in Trabadelo will take winter pilgrims if you are 4 or more ppl. Just send them a WhatsApp message ahead of time to arrange!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here is the updated list of albergues that expect to be open in the winter. This list is maintained each year from about November 1, through the winter. (The web link remains valid through the rest of the year, but there is no information on the page.)

Even with this list, it is wise to confirm the details close to the time, because circumstances can change!

Translation of the introductory paragraph on that site:

This list is periodically updated and can be found on www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno and on Facebook: Aprinca Albergues Invierno. There may be other places that we do not know about or do not want to be included in it.
If you find an error in this list, please communicate it to hostinvierno@gmail.com
I'm not sure how to use this site but hope my message gets to you. I tried to open the albergues site and could see nothing listed. Can you help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I follow the link, I don't see the complete list. But I went to the website, I got the complete (quite short) list.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You need to scroll the list of albergues to see all the entries. This is obvious on my desktop computer where the familiar scroll bar is visible on the right. On my mobile phone it is less obvious. Put your thumb or index finger on the list on the screen and you can move up and down the list.

Currently, the first entry is Valcarlos and the last entry is Pedrouzo-Arco-O Pino.

Hi - just wondering when "winter" ends, for the purpose of albergues being open or not.... I'm starting walking around March 12 on the Camino Frances, probably from Roncesvalles or St Jean PdP, and hoping not to have to book ahead if possible. I see some people mention easter as the time many albergues open - thats not until 7 April this year. Any advice from around whether or not I'm making life difficult for myself by not wanting to book ahead? Thanks in advance!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi - just wondering when "winter" ends, for the purpose of albergues being open or not.... I'm starting walking around March 12 on the Camino Frances, probably from Roncesvalles or St Jean PdP, and hoping not to have to book ahead if possible. I see some people mention easter as the time many albergues open - thats not until 7 April this year. Any advice from around whether or not I'm making life difficult for myself by not wanting to book ahead? Thanks in advance!
The Route Napoleon (from SJPDP to Roncesvalles) is closed until 1 April, so that is the date that I think of as "open season". Until that date pilgrims have to use the historic route, via Valcarlos.

From the information provided by @Bradypus and others who have been walking during winter, it seems that booking ahead is not so much the issue as actually finding albergues that are open. @Bradypus mentioned that there was only one night when the albergue he was planning on was full, and he found an alternative, private room. It sounds as if the main issue was having to walk longer stages than planned, because there was simply no accommodation open in some places. Booking ahead does not solve that problem.

Thanks @Kanga - I appreciate the reply. I guess I wasn't sure whether mid-March still counts as "winter" in camino terms.... It sounds like it might! I was planning on walking the Valcarlos route, unless the weather is particularly awful, in which case the idea was to start at Roncesvalles. I'm planning on walking longer days anyway - I only have about 28 days in total available to me for walking - I figure I can manage that, having done some pretty lengthy days on the VDLP in the past.

@NicP - you can use Gronze to see what albergue opening dates are, as every place will set its own open/close dates. And a number of albergues are open year round.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks @Kanga - I appreciate the reply. I guess I wasn't sure whether mid-March still counts as "winter" in camino terms.... It sounds like it might! I was planning on walking the Valcarlos route, unless the weather is particularly awful, in which case the idea was to start at Roncesvalles. I'm planning on walking longer days anyway - I only have about 28 days in total available to me for walking - I figure I can manage that, having done some pretty lengthy days on the VDLP in the past.
I might book ahead for the first few days - I see that @Bradypus mentioned that the only open albergue at Zubiri was nearly full. It always seems busiest in the first days after SJPDP.

The Route Napoleon (from SJPDP to Roncesvalles) is closed until 1 April, so that is the date that I think of as "open season". Until that date pilgrims have to use the historic route, via Valcarlos.

From the information provided by @Bradypus and others who have been walking during winter, it seems that booking ahead is not so much the issue as actually finding albergues that are open. @Bradypus mentioned that there was only one night when the albergue he was planning on was full, and he found an alternative, private room. It sounds as if the main issue was having to walk longer stages than planned, because there was simply no accommodation open in some places. Booking ahead does not solve that problem.
I've always thought that the Camino "season" starts after Easter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The website is poorly designed.
This is what it looks like in my Android phone.

Screenshot_20231212_072854_Firefox.jpg

When I try to scroll down to see the list if I put my finger in the blue area to scroll then nothing happens. You have to scroll only within the white area. Then you will see the list.

Screenshot_20231212_073225_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what a difference!

Here's what it looks like when you use the URL that @Rick of Rick and Peg posted.

FYI: I have since followed the chain of posts on this thread. I now think the site design was to accomplish having a permanent webpage up so links left around the web would still work but a simple change such as renaming the albergues.htm to albergues-old.htm would cause the list of winter albergues to not be listed once the winter season was over. I would do things differently but the way they chose would be easy for non-website people to implement.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...