• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues open on norte route april/may 2022

Lynnhardy

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello I am starting north route on April 27th. Looking on Gronze pretty much all the municipal albergues/monasteries /sports halls show as closed. So thinking how will it be possible to do this route?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello I am starting north route on April 27th. Looking on Gronze pretty much all the municipal albergues/monasteries /sports halls show as closed. So thinking how will it be possible to do this route?
There have been people on the Norte in the last year while municipal albergues have been closed. You'll just need to stay in more private albergues, hostels, pensiones etc.

There have been people on the Norte in the last year while municipal albergues have been closed. You'll just need to stay in more private albergues, hostels, pensiones etc.
Thank you, it’s just they look pretty expensive. I may have to change Caminos , the la plata looks as if more municipal are open and cheaper hostels.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have had a quick look on Gronze and it appears that a lot of the albergues open from 1 April. Just click on the albergue to get more info.

I have had a quick look on Gronze and it appears that a lot of the albergues open from 1 April. Just click on the albergue to get more info.
The municipal ones said closed when I checked. I shall have another look. Cheers

The municipal ones said closed when I checked. I shall have another look. Cheers
I had another look. Yes all the convents right up to guernica and beyond are closed for works with no reopen date and they were the donation municipal pilgrim ones. Then there’s Geltoki pilgrim hostel no reopen date at Must, No hostel with an affordable price at Deba. Pitis hostel closed ,lovely carmen convert donation closed. Guernica youth hostel closed with no opening date and so on. If people can afford the other hostel prices and I expect many will book… as they mostly are bookable … leaving only extra expensive ones available and no real just walking and stoping when you want like a pilgrimage unless you have a healthy budget. I realise it’s coming out of covid and still in it probably so times have a changed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just switched Caminos for the very reasons you have expressed here. The cost of paying for airbnb stays or pensions every night breaks our budget (40+ nights).
Hello arardin4 thank you for saying that, I was beginning to wonder if I over thought the situation . What camino have you switched to?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey Lynnhardy, I am a notorious overthinker as well so bear this in mind as you read on. My family of four (including 14 and 15 years old children) walked, biked, auto bused our way across the Frances in June 2015. This time around, my husband and I thought the two of us would try the Norte route. We have been looking into stages, desired daily mileage, and albergues. We found that this may not be the year for the Norte for us. The Camino experience includes visiting with other pilgrims and I was finding myself securing lodging at several Airbnb's. The communal living is what we really liked about our 2015 Camino. We realize COVID may make communal living dicey, but it is what we are hoping to achieve this May. From information we have gleaned, it sounds like the Frances will have more accommodations for pilgrims specifically. We figure we can go back and hike along the Norte another time and go from Airbnb to pension and enjoy the vistas offered along the coast for a couple of weeks (not 40 nights).

This is our perspective on the pilgrimage we want to take, we realize that anyone reading this may have other desires, precautions, expenses, abilities, etc.

No matter what the route- it will be an adventure. Best of luck to you and buen Camino!

We just walked the Norte from Bayonne to Laredo. Yes, many/most of the hostels in the Basque Country are still closed. We made do with hotels in most cases, but that will up your budget a bit. That said, the possibility for some community still exists, as we found many peregrinos stayed at the same set of cheaper hotels or private albergues listed in Gronze. We got fairly badly pinched on the stretch from Deba to Markina Xemein and had to stretch that day out to 36km into Bolibar, where thankfully the Albergue Usandi was open. But it was a pretty exhausting day.

Wow thanks for your updates, I have just checked out some accomodation on the Norte and its not looking good Albergue's booked up in San Sebastion other accomodation very expensive accomodation its not a pilgrims route any more they want holiday makers for the prices being charged, I will have to consider an alternative way may be the via del Plata will have to look a little further

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are already on the Norte and we have stayed in donation albergue in Irun, San Sebastian it was an Albergue and you could book, Zarautz and Mutriku we stayed in a cheap Air B&B. Makina we got into a donation albergue, another 2 albergue near Morga where open. In Bilboa there where several cheap hostels. We stayed in All Iron in the old town for €15 each. We are now in a donation albergue in Pobena. If you look on Gronze they are updating all the time.

We are already on the Norte and we have stayed in donation albergue in Irun, San Sebastian it was an Albergue and you could book, Zarautz and Mutriku we stayed in a cheap Air B&B. Makina we got into a donation albergue, another 2 albergue near Morga where open. In Bilboa there where several cheap hostels. We stayed in All Iron in the old town for €15 each. We are now in a donation albergue in Pobeña. If you look on Gronze they are updating all the time.

Update. El Ponterŕon has rooms but I advise not to stay. Get a taxi if tired too Albergue Hazas. Municipal and Albergue open in Santona. Famous wonderful Albergue open in Gűemes. Loads of hostels and cheap accommodation on Booking.com for Santander and other places.

Me and my wife are starting in Irun 21/8 and we have booked in advance from Irun to Getaria , i think the first days will be the most costly . Seems that the only Albergue in Irun is Jacobi , got an email from juvenil Martindozenea in Irun that its permanently closed . Booked a hostel in Irun , Juvenil Ondarreta in San Sebastian and hostel Txalupa in Getaria . The Albergue in San Sebastian that was open in July and August are also permanently closed , as far as have found out . I hope it will be better when the camino turns more inland .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Me and my wife are starting in Irun 21/8 and we have booked in advance from Irun to Getaria , i think the first days will be the most costly . Seems that the only Albergue in Irun is Jacobi , got an email from juvenil Martindozenea in Irun that its permanently closed . Booked a hostel in Irun , Juvenil Ondarreta in San Sebastian and hostel Txalupa in Getaria . The Albergue in San Sebastian that was open in July and August are also permanently closed , as far as have found out . I hope it will be better when the camino turns more inland .
Irun Jacobi is open and fantastic. The Albergue Ondarreta is also open. We have stayed in both this 15th and 16th April. You can email Ondarreta and leave your bank details as a deposit to you get there. I hope this helps.

Bear in mind that August is extremely popular for tourism on the northern coast of Spain, so it may be more expensive until you get into September.

We arrive in Irún the day after you and we are finding the same issues with accommodation. I agree with @trecile that the main issue is general tourism in August, especially around San Sebastian.

I'm finding that from Markina that prices are easier to swallow - We favour private albergues with our own room, so some of the expense is our own choice !!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Seems I might also change my Camino if I don't see a change in Auberge's opening. But will check Gronze before I leave home on May 19/22

nevertheless, still many that I checked through gronze seem that too not opening. I will still start the Camino Norte and if it seems too many placed close will switch to another Camino.

There is a live spreadsheet for the Norte mentioned elsewhere on the forum (link below). I am starting the Norte on Tuesday and aim to walk ideally 25-35km per day. Have a plan for the first 16 nights staying in albergue/hostel accommodation. Not planning to book until each morning - if anyone is on the Norte now then please post if you have found places are full!

So far, what albergues are open they have room. The most popular one only had 25 pilgrims in and that was the busiest. Hope this helps.

Hello
I am planning our Camino Norte.
Has somebody Informations about the opening of the albergue in Deba?

Thank you, it’s just they look pretty expensive. I may have to change Caminos , the la plata looks as if more municipal are open and cheaper hostels.
Lynnhardy I am of the same mind, I will attempt to do this route and if it becomes expensive will change routes. If you can let me know how you do since you are started before me, Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm planning as well to walk the North route around May, so following this thread!
jelteV. we need to keep in touch with each other with this dilemma nevertheless I am starting in Bilbao and will see how it goes. would appreciate info. I leave for Bilbao on May 22nd from Madrid by train and will try to be positive. Otherwise switch to go to Zamora and continue from there.

I am currently on the norte and it appears to the many albergues we have passed are open. The are also a lot of small pensions available along the route as well. Many of them do little to no advertising, so you might just stumble upon one.

I am currently on the norte and it appears to the many albergues we have passed are open. The are also a lot of small pensions available along the route as well. Many of them do little to no advertising, so you might just stumble upon one.
I have found the same. I'm on my last 100km and not had any problems finding and getting in albergues. They have let me reserve on the day and half empty when I get there.

Excellent to hear this! I’m starting from Irun on Tuesday and have booked a night in San Sebastian but will wing it from there. Good to hear most albergues are open :)

Excellent to hear this! I’m starting from Irun on Tuesday and have booked a night in San Sebastian but will wing it from there. Good to hear most albergues are open :)
Almost the same, starting from Irun on Wednesday and planning on winging it... if possible. We'll see on the road !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mot sure if it was on this thread, but someone mentioned opening Gronze via chrome, & then pressing English, worked very well, thanks for that, starting from Irun on 4th June, so I'm sure I will chat with some of you.
Been camino
Graham

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just arrived in Gurnica. A really hot day. Saw about 12 walkers all day.
I spoke with one who told me the albergue in Markina had about 35 last night.
Beautiful flowers all day

So for those of you on the Norte - where did you end up staying in or near Deba? Any word on whether or not Albergue de peregrinos Gletoki is open? My email to them bounced back. Haven't tried calling yet.

So for those of you on the Norte - where did you end up staying in or near Deba? Any word on whether or not Albergue de peregrinos Gletoki is open? My email to them bounced back. Haven't tried calling yet.
I'm planning to walk San Sebastion to Bilbao in mid June and also would like to know the status on Deba albergue :)

Newsarticle from five days ago.

Open but only 50 percent capacity.

Thank you! I kept looking for places to stay in that area - but the day I would be passing though only 1 place available at over $300! So glad to hear it is open - will just have to get there early I suppose!

I am now in Portugalete and just walked passed the albergue in the city center, next door to Parroquia nuestra reina Nazareth and they already have the full. (Completo) sign posted on the front door. Just FYI

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm planning to start in Irún on July 16th and I've been looking at all accomodations in the Gronze. Everything that you're able to book, are showing double price on booking.com than the Gronze estimate... Probably because I'm planning to walk when it's peak holiday season. Most accomodations are fully booked - basically all pensions/hostales that you can find are already sold out.

I've managed to book accommodation for an average of €50 a night, but it definitely isn't for the faint hearted and it's a big difference from CF where I spent €8-12 a night. Some bottle neck towns like Deba it's €80 (I see that the albergue is open with 20 beds, but how many daily walkers does Deba have? Is it realistic to actually get one of the beds there?)

I'm hoping I'll be able to cancel many of these reservations, but so far I don't trust that I'll be able to actually get one of the beds, and paying unknown sums for last minute hotels sounds like it could get even more expensive...

Edit: I managed to contact the albergue 5 km past Deba, and they're open and accept reservations! €15 a night. Worth considering as an option!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back