• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues open? Porto to Santiago, Late October/Early November

Grezbob

I and my wife are in the early stages of putting together the plans for our first camino starting from Porto. For a variety of reasons we are certain it will have to start the last few days of October and go on into November (unfortunately this is not negotiable due to work and other commitments).

Basically we need to know if the albergues are going to be open at that time of year or do we need to take the more expensive option of booking hotels along the route?

Thanks in advance,
Graham.

PS. I'm new to the site and had a look around before posting but didn't find anything that quite answered my question. Sorry if I missed it. If this is the case then I'd be grateful for any of the links!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Grezbob,
I walked, with two Camino friends, from Lisboa to Santiago last year 13 Oct/4 Nov (then to Muxia, Finisterre & Cee 5-10 Nov). The hostels were all opened; we stayed at some residentials (pensions) in a couple of places, however. One in particular (escapes my memory right now) was damn, dirty, stinky. You'll know it when you see it...stay at one of the residentials mentioned in Brierly's book... You'll be two of few people walking at this time...most of the people we met were on their way TO Porto after they finished their walk to Santiago!

When you are in Porto, go visit Liverio Lello, considered one of the, if not the, most beautiful bookstore in the world. JK Rowling based Hogwarts from her Harry Potter books on it.

I hope you don't get as much rain as we did!!! (This is where the purchase of an Altus or other such raincover is really really worth it.)

Cheers!
Heather in PEI, Canada

(Oh and also go to the Majestic Cafe in Porto as well, to start off your walk in glorious style. It's gorgeous and magical.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Heather!

Yes, I'm starting to realise that we're likely going to be encountering some rain on the way but that won't deter us.(We'll actually be in India during monsoon season this year so this should be a breeze all be it somewhat colder!)

Thanks for the info on the hostels/pensions. Roughly, how much did they cost you a night?

I just Googled the Majestic Cafe and it looks amazing and Liverio Lello has made the wife extremely happy!

Thanks again!

Hi again,
What I meant was that the hostels were opened from Porto on, and we stayed in a few residentials on that section of the Caminho. From Lisboa to Porto we stayed at mostly residentials. (What a treat! Our own bathroom, beds with sheets and blankets, privacy, no snorers--the bane of my existence, even with hardcore earplugs!)

The residentials generally ran about 15E each person. Sometimes a bit more but we never stayed at a place less. The 15E may sound expensive, on the Camino/Caminho, but you have to weigh that with the cost of food and drink, which was far far cheaper (and better) than on the Camino Frances. When we were in Portugal, a cafe com leite + croissant would be approx 1.25-1.50E; once we crossed the border to Spain, the same would be anywhere from 1.80E and up...usually up. Far up!

I also had coffee in the cafe where JK Rowlings wrote the first Harry Potter book. Allegedly. I was at the post office and asked the man helping me to show me on my map how to get to Liverio Lello--the bookstore Rowlings based Hogwarts on. He asked if I was a Harry Potter fan, to which I replied yes, and he told me where this cafe was. So, according to the post office employee, I had coffee in the same cafe where the book was written! (I'm going to say that he was right, just because I wanted it to be so!)

Oh, FYI: no photos/no cameras in Liveria Lello. There is signage everywhere in the bookstore as well as employees with eagle eyesight telling visitors so. I bought a small book about the history of the place. Since it was after I had finished my Camino (I returned to Porto afterwards for a few days), I could handle a little bit of extra weight. That book and a million Valor chocolate bars to take home for family, friends and me! :)

Cheers!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back