• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues price?

alesgaba

Dear Pilgrims, I plan to go from Porto to Santiago in July. I would like to ask you about average price in albergues. Is it about 3-7€ per a night? I plan to go in 10 days:
Porto - Vilarinho, Vilarinho - Barcelos, Barcelos - Ponte de Lima, Ponte de Lima - Rubianes, Rubianes - Valenca do Minho, Valenca do Minho - Redondela, Redondela - Pontevendra, Pontevendra - Caldas de Reis, Caldas de Reis - Padrón and Padrón - Santiago de Compostela.

My second question is about "pilgrim ticket". Is it possible buy it everywhere on the journey (in every albergues)?.

Thanks Ales

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some albergues are run by the Xunta - those in Galicia are now 5 euro.
Private albergues might charge more depending on the type of room you choose - between 6 and 10 euro.
The 'pilgrim ticket' - you mean the credencial? If you don't get one from your confraternity at home, you can usually get one from the first albergue you stay in, or from the cathedral.

You may want to budget for a private in case there are no alburgues where you want to stay. These ran us Euro 31 to 35 on the Portuguese route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, you may to budget significantly more for the portugese part of the route as there are some places without albergues where you may have to stay in hotel/guesthouse type accomodation around 25-40 euro maybe? Once across the border in spain there are standard galician albergues so it's pretty cheap from Tui on.

Sillydoll - I didn't know the galician albergues had gone up to 6E eek!

Hi - you can obtain a credencial and first sello at the Cathedral in Oporto or as has been said at an albergue along the way. If for any reason you can't get one in Porto simply collect stamps in your note book until you get one.

Buen Camino

John

My apologies - the Galician albergues charge 5 euro now not 6 euro

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
sillydoll said:
My apologies - the Galician albergues charge 5 euro now not 6 euro

Oops - my mistake! for some reason I must've read 5 as 6, sorry! :? :oops: still quite a price hike from 3 if you're existing on next to nothing...!

Hi Ales,

Just back from the Potugese camino.

In portugal most albergues worked on a donation basis and I left between 3 and 5 euros. In Spain it was indeed 5 euros but they were also better, tidier, safer and generally well organised compared to the Portugese ones.

At Vilarinho you just pick up the keys at the chemist (unless someone is already there) and then its over to you till you give the keys back the next day. At Rubiaes you also just left a donation in a box and the whole place was open and deserted when I arrived at 1 pm and in the evening the local representative turned up but didnt do anything except pace around and sweep the floor. The albergue there is a nice new builing but is a bit neglected and not well cleaned and the locals seem to leave the place to run itself which potentially also has a few security risks. Things were much more professional in Spain but the Portugese way of doing things also had its charms :)

The Credencial del Peregrino (pilgrims passport) you can best pick up at the Se cathedral in Porto. I think it cost me 50cents and they stamped it at the same time. I picked mine up the afternoon before I left so that I could leave on time the next day.

There is a similar system on the Aragones route where most of the albergues are part of a 'communidad' or social centre. We swept, mopped and tidied three albergues and left them cleaner than they were when we arrived. At Tiebas, we also left a glass (cracked) filled with flowers for the next peregrinos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ponte de Lima was the only albergue I stayed in in Portugal which had staff. It did not open until 17:30 and it was also very new. It only cost 3 euros but there were no blankets or pillows. The kitchen was clean and the price included free internet and wireless if you had your own computer.

In Tui, the albergue there would not accept any walkers who were starting there until after 19:00. Personally, I think that is great considering we walked all the way from Pont de Lima, thus we had a bed for the night there

I can highly recommend staying in the monestary in Padron. It is a bit of route you have to follow red arrows to get there (indicated at some point on the route near padron by a plate with albergue written on it). It is not well known so very quiet and lovely especially in contrast to the busy official albergues within 100 km from Santiago. It is a donatio, diner and breakfast are provided.

For us, just a few days after the dissapointent of not being allowed in the albergue of Pontevedra (full), this was a real garden of eden :)

hi,
in portugal you can sleep for free at the fire stations :) it's a tradition :) but for example in Valenca i slept in an albergue which was with donation, as you want. in Spain , now in May, the price was 5 euros per night, in Santiago there is opened just for the Holy Year the Seminario Menor(close to the bus station) which has a price of 10 euros per night, but it is in a special place!!!!! it worths the money!!!! and it is not so known among pilgrims, as San lazaro or.....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone. Its the second year in a row Im going to do the walk and regarding prices in hostels (albergues) I found last year that it is so much cheaper to buy from internet travel agencies than to contact the B&B directly. I have used hostelbookers (Portuguese Version) last year since they are quite cheap and dont charge booking fees.You can also select whichever language you speak on the site. :) hope i helped

Ales,

if you are on a tight budget, you might want to reconsider staying in Barcelos, as there is no albergue there. Instead, you could stay in Rates and then on the next day walk through Barcelos to Portela de Tamel, which would have the additional benefit of not having to walk 33km from Barcelos to Ponte de Lima in one day. The albergues in Rates and Tamel are both very nice. In Rates, the hospitaleiros are great and very helpful with tips. They also have a nice website with useful maps - http://http://www.alberguederates.com/. In fact it was them who recommended staying in Tamel instead of Barcelos. The albergue in Tamel is new and very good.

Last year, I did not stay in Valenca, but walked on to Tui. The albergue in Tui is in the city center, next to the beautiful cathedral (and you get "bedsheets"), whereas Valenca is a bit outside and you have to walk to get to the city center or the Fortalezza. Another reason for me to stay in Tui was that it is already 30km to Redondela from Tui and I preferred that to the 34 from Valenca. 10km before Redondela there is also a nice albergue in Mos. Oh, and the Redondela albergue might be full if you arrive late, since many people who start in Porrino arrive in Redondela before you. But there are private albergues nearby.

In any case, enjoy the route! For me, what makes the Camino Portugues special, is that you walk through two countries and see their differences and peculiarities. Portugal is more chaotic but very charming.

Bom Caminho!

jelle said:
I can highly recommend staying in the monestary in Padron. It is a bit of route you have to follow red arrows to get there (indicated at some point on the route near padron by a plate with albergue written on it). It is not well known so very quiet and lovely especially in contrast to the busy official albergues within 100 km from Santiago. It is a donatio, diner and breakfast are provided.

For us, just a few days after the dissapointent of not being allowed in the albergue of Pontevedra (full), this was a real garden of eden :)

Is this one open all year? I'm walking from Porto starting on the 21rst of Sept, this is the one place I really want to visit...I think it's where Pimientos de Padron were born.

Liz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
amgirl5 said:
Is this one open all year? I'm walking from Porto starting on the 21rst of Sept, this is the one place I really want to visit...I think it's where Pimientos de Padron were born.

Liz

Hi Liz, from the information I have it shuts down for the winter at the end of October.

Mike

Hello people, just wondering if the prices are still similar or if they have gone up a lot? Also is the cost the same for an adult as for a child? How much roughly should I budget for from sarria to Santiago? Please and thanks!

One price fits all. Within 100 km of Santiago, albergue prices are 9-13 Euro. The Galician junta albergues are still 5 Euro.

€149,-
falcon269 said:
One price fits all. Within 100 km of Santiago, albergue prices are 9-13 Euro. The Galician junta albergues are still 5 Euro.
Thank you very much for the super fast reply! :D so a budget of about 50 euro per day should do it! Actually, are there places in Santiago that I can buy a good strong cheap second hand bicycle for a child? I'm thinking it might be a better idea if I walk from sarria and she cycles along with me. Or maybe that's a complete nutty idea! :D what do you think?

There are some tough bicycling stretches. At least the rocky parts will be behind you! Only you know your daughter's capabilities, but it is not like cycling around a park. For example, the first 8 km out of Portomarin is fairly unrelenting uphill with only a couple of flat stretches. There are parts that can be very muddy when it rains, difficult for a child on a bicycle.

10 euro was a very common price on the Camino Frances. We often paid 30 euro for two for a pension so that we could have a separate room. I didn't find pilgrims to be very considerate in the albergues I stayed in. They would often wake at 5 and have discussions and pack their packs within the room. I had heard there was supposed to be albergues etiquette, but I never saw it. The 30 euro was worth it.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back