• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Albergues requiring proof or certificate of vaccination?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

dick bird

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2024
Can anyone tell me if albergues are currently (i.e. as of now) requiring proof of vaccination? Is this standard practice and what happens if a pilgrim does not have the certification required.

Current protocols for Castilla y Léon suggest that vax certs are not demanded so I'd like to know what is happening on the ground and in other regions. Can anyone give more up to date information?

I am mainly interested in the policy in municipals, paroquiales and donativos.

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Must be a recent change of policy - last week I was asked for proof of vaccination in the Xunta albergues on the Camino Sanabres.
El certificado Covid dejará de ser necesario este sábado, 26 de febrero, en la hostelería en Galicia (I guess that hostelería includes Xunta albergues).

There is more: De este modo, desde las 00:00 horas de este sábado día 26 quedará sin efecto esta medida relativa al certificado Covid en hostelería que el Tribunal Superior de Xustiza de Galicia (TSXG) había autorizado hasta esa fecha.

IOW, no proof of vaccination required for staying in hotels and albergues in Galicia as of midnight Saturday 26 February 2022. It may take a while before everybody knows. I am not certain that any albergue owner or manager is even allowed, strictly speaking, to require proof after that date.

In Navarra, on the website of the Albergue de Peregrinos of Roncesvalles, they had a note that said that proof of vaccination is required. I can't see the note anymore.

Castilla y León never had such a requirement, and I know that it has also been abolished in La Rioja. That covers the whole Camino Frances in Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Álvaro Lazaga just said on his video that in Galicia the certificates are not required.
There were a few albergues that asked very early then in December walking to Muxia the Xunta in Negreira not only asked for my certificate but hassled me about not having an Covid test from the last 48 or maybe it was 24 hours old. I complained and told him that was ridiculous and was putting my pack on to walk back to Negreiga to find another albergue when he relented. He was not a warm and fuzzy guy at all!

I don't know the CURRENT situation, but just offer a suggestion. IF you are vaccinated, bring your card with just in case, regardless of whether or not proof of vaccination is CURRENTLY required! The rules keep changing and when I was on my summer Camino, the rules kept changing then too, while I was walking. Thank goodness the staff at the albergues were able to alert pilgrims to rule changes. And it is good to be prepared in case vaccine requirements continue to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually asking from the perspective of being a hospi (and we certainly have to show an international vax cert) - what rules will we have to enforce and (more to the point) how firmly?

Anyway, thanks for the responses. Maybe see you in El Burgo Ranero second half of April.

If the moderators want to close the thread now, please feel free.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.