• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues: Reserve ahead of time or Drop In

Scott McLarty

Time of past OR future Camino
nil
I plan on participating in the Camino Frances next summer during a busy period. I worry that I will not be able to get a bed in an Allergies when I get there. 1. Should I call and reserve a spot? 2. If yes, how far in advance can you reserve? 3. Are there recommended Albergues to stay? 4. Do you recommend staying in a location as you enter a town/location or on the way out of town for the next morning. Sorry,,, just my paranoia setting in and wanting to make sure I am not sleeping under the stars multiple times. Any advice is appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just dropping in (late in the afternoon or evening) has become an anachronism in the busy months. So many pilgrims are calling ahead that you will need to do it unless you are willing to wander town looking for a bed, or even willing to walk on to the next village.

I plan on participating in the Camino Frances next summer during a busy period. I worry that I will not be able to get a bed in an Allergies when I get there. 1. Should I call and reserve a spot? 2. If yes, how far in advance can you reserve? 3. Are there recommended Albergues to stay? 4. Do you recommend staying in a location as you enter a town/location or on the way out of town for the next morning. Sorry,,, just my paranoia setting in and wanting to make sure I am not sleeping under the stars multiple times. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi, Scott,
Welcome to the forum! Worry and nervousness are all part of the buildup to the camino. Lots of us who have been walking caminos for years still get those nerves right before we leave home. But as many of us will tell you, they all drop away as soon as you take your first step. Really!

As far as the "reservation or no reservation" question, you will find strong opinions on both sides of this debate. If you use the search function in the upper right corner, you can easily pull up lots of these discussions:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/to-book-or-not-to-book-in-june.44053/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/booking-beds-or-taking-it-as-it-comes.41633/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...you-may-need-to-book-ahead.40202/#post-406200

There are also lots of threads on favorite albergues along the Camino Frances, and resources like this one:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...favorite-albergues-on-the-camino-francés.140/

Reservations are possible in private albergues, but not in municipally operated albergues. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule about how far ahead you can book, it will just depend on when and whether the owner wants to take reservations.

And as to your last question about whether it's better to stay on the way in or on the way out, I don't think that is ever much of an issue. Many of the towns are so small that "the way in" is a few feet away from "the way out." And in the really big cities, my own preference is to stay as central as possible so that I can enjoy the city. People who don't like cities would tell you to do the opposite, to stay on the outskirts. So it just depends.

Enjoy your planning and rest assured that whatever question you may have, there are likely to be strongly held opinions voiced here on all sides of it! Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I really worried about securing a bed on my first Camino. There never was a problem as we usually ended our day in the early afternoon. On my second Camino, I asked myself, " What is the worst that can happen ?" Probably sleeping outside beside a church. In fact, some days I was so tired I could have slept under a tree in the rain. ( My partner gently talked me out of that one). We never booked and never had a problem. And I enjoyed the second walk so much more.

What Laurie said.

But a doble dosage of taking in a big breath: it will all be ok. I have gone out for a Camino 6 times now, and I take out my laptop, open Excel, plot possible etapas with distances, albergues, their contact info and amenities I like such as a drier so I can hope for dry clothese should Iend up walking in the rain for days and days. I pull my hair out. But I love it.

Planning is as much fun for me than walking. In fact, when I walk and my feet hurt, and I keep wondering when I will see the edge of town, I wish I was planning, not walking. ;)

Book or not? I do, because I take small steps and walk from 7 to 3 or 4 pm, which means that many long legged people will have arrived much earlier than me (some people walk in the dark in the am only to arrive at noon at the albergue to sit around if you can beleive that :eek:).

But you may start walking when there are few (relatively) departures and therefor less stress to find bed. I would book your first night so you don't have to find a bed as you step off the train or bus while still jetlagged, and then see. I normally book for the next day after my shower. I can then book where my companions are staying, and/or depending on how I'm feeling.

To book phone is better than email, a local SIM card, or a good international plan from your supplier will do it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Scott:

I have never walked in mid-summer, mainly because I do not enjoy heat.

Making sleeping arrangements every night sounds a little too much like home and less like a Camino. It also restricts your travel everyday. ( ie: a shorter or longer day based on your sleeping commitment).

I realize conditions have changed (volume of Pilgrims) over the years. This also is opportunity for service providers (numbers of accommodations) along the Camino.

The Camino is a step out of your daily life into an introspective journey. Try to just let go and trust that all will be well.

If that approach leaves you uncomfortable, Laurie suggested several threads that list options in regards to your questions. I suggest you read through them.

Once you have done that, you should be able to settle on a option that creates the least amount of worry on your part.

Ultreya,
Joe

Conditions seems to be quite fluid. There are many contradictory reports in the forum.
I'd suggest reserving your first day, just to have peace of mind. Then, decide on the spot if more reservations are needed.
Buen camino!

First and foremost I would say to anyone reading this thread that is planning or contemplating walking the Camino, you need to remove the words "worry" or "nervous" from your mindset. There's absolutely nothing to worry or be nervous about when walking the Camino, or doing any vacation. If you are worried or nervous about it, why even do it? Leave worried and nervous at the workplace where it belongs.
As far as reserving albergues, and it has been covered here many times before, if it is an issue of concern to you, plan your Camino route down to the exact day and location and make all your reservations at private accommodations beforehand. That's easy enough to do.
Personally I never have, and always found room at the inn (so to speak). That's over 120 nights on the Camino between June and September.
My only disclaimer here is for the SJPdP and Santiago. I have made advanced reservations once for SJPdP. It can get quite busy there, and even though I have never made advance reservations in Santiago, I did observe it to be really busy at times. A lot of tourists there, both pilgrim and non-pilgrim.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back