• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues that offer common meals and prayer, located between Irún and Castro Urdiales.

• Thread starter Former member 49149
  • Start date
F

Former member 49149

Did I ever think I would write this : "Asking for a friend". 😁
A young woman from Barcelona has asked me to recommend 'spiritual albergues' between Irún and Castro. I would love to help her but have no idea. She and a friend will be cycling and are interested in the kind of parochial albergues they know exist on the Francés where common meals and prayer are offered, but it is the Norte they will be going on.
If anybody actually knows then I would appreciate it if you could share your recommendations. Many thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The monastery at Ziortza comes to mind. It's a wonderful tranquil place offering a simple shared dinner (the monks pulled out trestle tables right in the dorm and put out a giant pot of soup with bread). They had a little shop stocked with craft beer and chocolate and other goodies, and there was vespers to be heard.

There is the famous hospitality of the Donativo at Guemes, La Cabaña del Abuelo Pento, but that's further on, closer to Santander.

One more place you may or may not find spiritual enlightenment is just beyond Pasajes before you get to San Sebastian. A private house that offers hospitality to strangers. I was invited in for a coffee, I didn't hang around too long...

Last edited:
Did I ever think I would write this : "Asking for a friend". 😁
A young woman from Barcelona has asked me to recommend 'spiritual albergues' between Irún and Castro. I would love to help her but have no idea. She and a friend will be cycling and are interested in the kind of parochial albergues they know exist on the Francés where common meals and prayer are offered, but it is the Norte they will be going on.
If anybody actually knows then I would appreciate it if you could share your recommendations. Many thanks.
Kirkie,
Have you see this earlier thread or this one?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just saying thanks for the ideas offered above, the young woman and her friend have already called the monastery at Ziortza and even if it is full when they go there, they can sleep outside in the porch, but also use the facilities inside.

The facilities at the monastery  are basic, but I do hope they get a bed. It's in a beautiful setting, they'll be hard pushed to find a more peaceful place along the Norte..

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back