• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues to avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladielle

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte/Primitivo
Hi, are there albergues on the Camino de Norte that you would not recommend currently (spring 2022) for any reasons? Any that one should better avoid? (bed bugs, unwelcoming hosts, poor facilies for the price...?)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, are there albergues on the Camino de Norte that you would not recommend currently (spring 2022) for any reasons? Any that one should better avoid? (bed bugs, unwelcoming hosts, poor facilies for the price...?)
Hmmm... perhaps the responses to this should be more of personal messages? Asking for favorite albergues is one thing - but trying to make a list of those to avoid can be a slippery slope of bad rumor mill. I.E. Unwelcoming host could have been the host just had a bad day. Bed bugs could have been found and immediately addressed before the next guests arrived. Poor facilities can be one person expecting to check into a 4 star hotel realizing they had to use a communal shower. I have seen some pretty awful reviews of places I stayed - only to find that the place was pretty wonderful!

@Ladielle I can well understand you wanting to avoid places for the reasons you cite - but I agree with the above reply. Bad experiences can be put down to a whole range of factors - and many of those may be temporary or indeed due to personal expectations.

Maybe ask - what are your favourite Albergues on the Norte. I’m sure you’ll get some worthwhile replies. 😎

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
poor facilies for the price...
I don't know what the current prices are in the albergues, but for € 10- € 15 it's hard to say that for this price it's "poor facilities". When you arrive at the accommodation tired, you are usually happy / grateful to have a bed. There are differences, of course, but it’s really rare that this really matters. The next day is a new albergue and a new experience.
Buen Camino!

I agree with the above replies, but I also understand your concern.
If you check on www.gronze.com, they have pilgrims comments for every albergue so you can get a percentage of pilgrims that recommend it. To be fair, you can have a look at the comments and see if the thumbs up / thumbs down are based on things that are relevant for you. You can also check the dates because some albergues have changed host or undergone renovations.
That was my filter for choosing albergues and stages. Hope it helps

In all my caminos, I've only stayed at one albergue that would merit an unreserved 'thumbs down.' Too much rides on conditions, fellow pilgrims, hospis (etc. etc.) to be able to judge a place from on night's stay.

So as others have suggested, go to Gronze where you can see feedback from many people. And even then, take what you read with a huge grain of salt.

Anyway, if you have one bad night, what then? It's not the end of the world. We are incredibly fortunate to have such inexpensive accommodation as pilgrims. If patchy quality is a problem, hotels may be a better option for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know what the current prices are in the albergues, but for € 10- € 15 it's hard to say that for this price it's "poor facilities". When you arrive at the accommodation tired, you are usually happy / grateful to have a bed. There are differences, of course, but it’s really rare that this really matters. The next day is a new albergue and a new experience.
Buen Camino!
I am not very demanding, by poor facities I meant things like poor hygiene (mold in bathrooms), things like sockets with no electricity, bathroom handles that will stay in your hands when you use them etc, simply things that can be be fixed but nobody cares about them.

Anyway, if you have one bad night, what then? It's not the end of the world.
That’s true. And @Ladielle - if that does happen you may find - as I have - that some of those experiences are some of your funniest stories and memories - even if not so funny at the time! 😎 not to mention an opportunity to practise acceptance. The camino often gives me opportunities for practising acceptance - maybe one day I’ll be good at it 😃

I am not very demanding, by poor facities I meant things like poor hygiene (mold in bathrooms), things like sockets with no electricity, bathroom handles that will stay in your hands when you use them etc, simply things that can be be fixed but nobody cares about them.
I think in some Albergues you may find one or all of the above - though the lack of ‘fixing’ may be due to lack of resources, not lack of care. But there are many good to excellent Albergues on the Norte and what some lack in some areas you may find are compensated for in others - e.g. a warm welcome, a communal meal etc. 🙏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That’s true. And @Ladielle - if that does happen you may find - as I have - that some of those experiences are some of your funniest stories and memories - even if not so funny at the time! 😎 not to mention an opportunity to practise acceptance. The camino often gives me opportunities for practising acceptance - maybe one day I’ll be good at it 😃
I see what you mean and I am open to acceptance. But there are things I'd rather avoid, e.g. I heard from 2 ladies from my country who had the same experience in the same albergue at different times with the host who was behaving inappropriately to them (sexual harassement). This is something I will never accept.

I see what you mean and I am open to acceptance. But there are things I'd rather avoid, e.g. I heard from 2 ladies from my country who had the same experience in the same albergue at different times with the host who was behaving inappropriately to them (sexual harassement). This is something I will never accept.
Definitely.

Again, like already posted : it is just for one night.
And of course you could , in a gentle and discrete way, bring it to the attention of the owner/ hospitalero.They most likely will welcome your suggestion for improvement.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Agree with most of the comments above! However, continuous poor reviews are important for making decisions. Go to Trip advisor or booking.com for reviews. I wrote up an Albergue about 7 years ago that was a nightmare. Seems a lot of others thought so as well.

Sexual harrassment is something completely different and is of course always a NO.
Install alertcops and always always make a report with the police.
Then again privacy rules are also very clear that no one can post names of supposed perpetrators until they are convicted.

Perhaps saying you need certain amenities? Such as is the kitchen closed or open? Is there electricity? Is there heat? Do you need bedding? Do you need a washing machine/dryer? Repairs can be transitory with parts on order and sanitation can be the reflection of the hospitalera that is assigned there for only a couple of weeks? Normally we give the pilgrim the option to stay or not after they have had a look around, but we work in simple facilities that are donativo and do not accept reservations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Agree you should not stay at that albergue!

I think that one of the reasons we are sometimes uncomfortable with negative reviews here on the forum, is that the forum is not set up in a way to present the positives and negatives in an organized and balanced way. Other platforms such as Gronze, Trip Advisor, etc., are better organized for that function, with a comprehensive listing of lodgings, some monitoring of their status, and an opportunity for positives review, negative reviews, and even owner responses.

On the forum, sometimes people report bad experiences and it is very difficult for the rest of us to judge the situation and put them in perspective. We just hear one person's personal version and are sometimes concerned that the reputation of the business or organization may suffer unfairly. One person can be hysterically horrified by a bedbug, and even more hysterically horrified by the owner's lack of horror, and not understand that this is a chronic problem on the Camino.

Certain situations such as unaddressed hazards and sexual harassment are entirely unacceptable. In these cases, formal reports should be made as appropriate - through the Hojas de Reclamaciones, Alert Cops, or directly to the police.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes - and for this reason - requesting a personal message would be appropriate for your request for information. And as others said - there are some reviews on gronze.com and booking.com so you can also read some of those. I totally get it. I don't want to go to a place with a known bad reputation - I just don't think posting the so called bad albergue names in an ongoing thread is the right way to do it.

If I stayed in a less than desirable albergue, I would just shrug my shoulders and tell myself oh well, it's just for one night. Likewise if I found a terrific albergue, I would have the same attitude of lightness like WOW, I'd better enjoy this because I'll have to let go of this experience at approximately 7am tomorrow morning.

The municipal in Riego de Ambros had cold water showers (!) but the lovely communal dinner next to a wood burning stove made the evening memorable. The next evening I had a lovely hot shower, mild annoyance solved.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Harassement is always a No Go , call 112 and instal Alertcops.

I would ask the moderator to close this. A few bad reports could ruin a person’s livelihood. We never know what has happened on a particular day to anyone. I would hate to be judged by a bad day.

I would recommend having a look at gronze……most of this information can be found there I.e prices, people’s recommendations etc.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back