• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue's Turistico Fuente de Cantos and Zafra.

george.g

Time of past OR future Camino
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
I'm trying to e-mail both these establishments without any luck, both are supposed to be open year round, has anyone any idea if they are open, closed or shut down, or just shut for the off season?
Regards.
George

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one in Zafra is no more, according to Eroski. Contract ended and was not renewed. Other comments say it closes in winter. With the small number of pilgrims it would make sense to only keep the Van Gogh open.

In Fuente de Cantos, the albergue doesn’t take reservations, so they may not check email very often.

Last edited:
The one in Zafra is no more, according to Eroski. Contract ended and was not renewed. Other comments say it closes in winter. With the small number of pilgrims it would make sense to only keep the Van Gogh open.

In Fuente de Cantos, the albergue doesn’t take reservations, so they may not check email very often.

In Zafra there was the old Franciscan monastery is that also closed? If so what other accommodation in Zafra?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Zafra there was the old Franciscan monastery is that also closed? If so what other accommodation in Zafra?
I don’t know about the monastery but the Association’s albergue, called Van Gogh, is great. The restaurant across the street exceptional.

I'm trying to e-mail both these establishments without any luck, both are supposed to be open year round, has anyone any idea if they are open, closed or shut down, or just shut for the off season?
Regards.
George
Hi George, the Convent Abergue in Fuente is beautiful and rustic. It was open last April. also similar type in Zafra, Albergue San Francisco was amazing. We just turned up.

Hi George, the Convent Abergue in Fuente is beautiful and rustic. It was open last April. also similar type in Zafra, Albergue San Francisco was amazing. We just turned up.
Gronze also says San francisco is currently « privisionalmente cerrado ».;

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Heather, Momonne,
Yes I’ve spent a night at both and if I was on my own I wouldn’t even think of booking, but I’m walking with family members who haven’t had too much Camino experience so I’m being super cautious and booking where I can, as it is we’re only going as far as Zafra.
I plan to return in September to walk VdlP to Salamanca, then Torres, to Santiago, I’m sure Maggie plans to walk the Torres and as she writes such good bloggs, I’ll be able to follow in her footsteps.
Regards
George

I don’t know about the monastery but the Association’s albergue, called Van Gogh, is great. The restaurant across the street exceptional.
It was a former Franciscan Friary/monastery in years ago..was a nice clean and peaceful place for pilgrims.

I remember Fuente well, it was air conditioned! After a long day doing a double stage we stumbled in fried, the blast of cold air was well and truely welcome. Big place, clean but kitchen and most of the facilities were closed. A number of these tourisco places appear to have struggled over the years and it's not unusual to find them closed.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

In my nine Caminos and tenth due this year 2018, I have never booked other than at Orisson; and I have always had a bed for the nite. Since I do not carry a cell phone I find it convenient to travel the Camino this way.

Hi Heather, Momonne,
Yes I’ve spent a night at both and if I was on my own I wouldn’t even think of booking, but I’m walking with family members who haven’t had too much Camino experience so I’m being super cautious and booking where I can, as it is we’re only going as far as Zafra.
I plan to return in September to walk VdlP to Salamanca, then Torres, to Santiago, I’m sure Maggie plans to walk the Torres and as she writes such good bloggs, I’ll be able to follow in her footsteps.
Regards
George

Yes, George, still planning to walk the Torres. And also a diversion from the Mozarabe through Trujillo, so will be blogging with what will hopefully be useful info.
I hope you are fit and well now and enjoying your planning.
Buen camino, Maggie :)

Hi Maggie.
Yes according to the doctors I'm good to go, but family commitments mean I have to be in the UK in may so that's put paid to my usual spring camino, so four of us are going to walk from Seville to Zafra, given that the return flights are less than ÂŁ50 its been an easy decision, plus because of flight times we get to have time to enjoy Seville spring fair before the walk and sightseeing on our return.
I plan to return to Spain in September and will walk the Torres from Salamanca (following your blogg which I have no doubt will be excellent as usual) not sure what route I’ll follow to get there, but it will be nice to walk in September as opposed to Spring.
Best regards
George

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
chatter, chatter well I will believe it when I get there...all this chatter, well if it's closed as the chatters say well I will go to a pensione...Zafra is too beautiful to bypass.

My experience with these albergues turĂ­sticos is that the closures and changes in management may coincide with changes in political party power in the region. Fuente de Cantos has been closed off and on over the years with no explanation. I think the same in true in Zafra (also Torremegia), so maybe you will be lucky and they will be open

There was also the one in Almanzara (?), about 14 km out of Zafra, I think. It was another albergue turĂ­stico that was just fabulous, an old olive oil "factory" turned into albergue. I was through there twice, once the albergue was closed but a restaurant was open in another part, and the second time the albergue was open but the restaurant closed.

It may be that because these alberguers are in historic buildings, the expenses and maintenance make it too hard for the person with the contract to make ends meet. But they are some of the gems of the Vdlp.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I stayed at the van Gough in Zafra a few nights ago plenty of room no need to book, just be really on your very best behaviour if the same hospitalera is there! In Fuente I stayed at the private: El Zaguan. It was wonderful, kind father and son run it, sheets on beds heating ... Etc

Thanks Pierre.
I'll take your advice and look on booking.com.
Regards
George

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back