• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues Vs Pensions , Hotels etc

Njoyzlife

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug/Sept 2015
Love to check in with some Camino veterans. Sorry if this has been addressed in other posts. Doing my Camino(Frances) mid August or so through Sept. Looks like it gets pretty busy around that time. I don't mind living day to day, I understand that is part of the experience and I can roll with that. My concern is.. will it be so busy that I have to leave early or rush to get a room or walk much further than planned to find a bed? I want to relax and enjoy the journey and the people. Do you miss the experience booking some rooms ahead of time or staying in hotels every few days along the way? Do all the hotels, pensions that can be booked ahead , book up ahead of time with people booking tours? Thanks ahead of time for the advice
Z

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Booking day to day may provide a sort of security blanket for the evening however you will find that there are many places with no hotel, no pension, and no private albergue. Albergues can be a lot of fun, meeting new people, reuniting with pilgrims already known , shared meals, they can also be crowded, noisy, too hot/cold. It's not a throw of the dice, look around the forum and find recommendations or warnings. Private accommodation may mean a private bathroom if you are willing to pay for it but you will be missing the camaraderie and interaction with other pilgrims, one of the more moving experiences of the Camino.

The issue of where you choose to sleep on the Camino is one of personal preference. Some people love the albergue experience. I do not. But then, I’m an introvert and really enjoy solitude.

Like most other CF pilgrims, I had every intention to stay mostly in shared dorm lodging (albergues) during my walk, but as an older guy who has lived abroad and travelled extensively, I'm wise enough to know that life on the road often doesn't go according to plan, so I budgeted accordingly.

The first week of my Camino I stayed only in albergues, but after that my tolerance for shared dorm sleeping diminished. I'm a very light sleeper, prone to insomnia and the best earplugs money can buy do not work for me in a room full of strangers snoring, etc….

By the time I reached Leon, I had all but abandoned albergues in favour of cheap private rooms at hostals, hotels and pensions. And I'm glad I did because this saved my Camino. I have no doubt in my mind that had I tried to tough it out at albergues, I would have abandoned my Camino before Santiago. There is often much joking about this issue of dorm sleep hardships, but sleep deprivation is no joke, it's a killer, can lead to serious mental and physical health issues. It kills your mood, lowers your immune system and results in a really lousy overall experience.

After resigning myself to stay only in private rooms, my Camino improved dramatically as I was able to regain my purpose and focus of why I was doing this walk.

The difference in cost between an albergue and a private room can be as little as €10. The benefits of getting consistently sound sleep, for me, are almost immeasurable. I was paying anywhere from €17 to €35 per night, which is pretty damn good by European lodging standards.

The other benefit of private rooms is that you do not get caught up in the 5am race for limited beds from albergue to albergue during peak season. I always left each morning on my own terms and never ever had to worry about not finding a bed at the next stop.

Some will insist you are missing out on the "true" Camino experience by not staying exclusively in albergues. That opinion is just as subjective as mine, so assess your own needs as you go. There's absolutely nothing wrong, bourgeois, anti-social or anti-Camino about doing what you feel you need to do to get through your Camino.

I never once had to book a private room. I just arrived at next town, shopped around, it was that easy. I travelled in peak season, August.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also stay in both albergues and hostels. I never book private accommodation in advance and have very rarely had a problem. Mix it up even more and share a private room with a couple of your walking buddies for the best of both worlds. Buen Camino!

The issue of where you choose to sleep on the Camino is one of personal preference. Some people love the albergue experience. I do not.

The difference in cost between an albergue and a private room can be as little as €10. I was paying anywhere from €17 to €35 per night.

The other benefit of private rooms is that you do not get caught up in the 5am race for limited beds from albergue to albergue during peak season. I always left each morning on my own terms and never ever had to worry about not finding a bed at the next stop.

A perfectly measured answer there from Wanderer64 - at the end of the day, it's about what YOU want.

As a recent example, in Sahagun our friend paid around €25 for a shared room in an Albergue, with no breakfast, no personal space, shared facilities, a 9.00pm curfew and bed-bugs :eek:.

For €35 single / €55 double, we had a room with en suite facilities, clean, comfy beds, air-con, breakfast and no additional wildlife, and could come and go as we pleased. Being on the main square, we also caught up with all our friends, and were able to get away at a civilised time next morning. :cool:

On that basis, it seems a bit of a no-brainer. Unless you want to add unnecessary hardship to your Camino experience!!! :D:D:D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On a humerous note, the Camino albergues are one of the few places where one can say "I slept with that woman/man last night" and not get into big big trouble!

I also stay in both albergues and hostels. I never book private accommodation in advance and have very rarely had a problem. Mix it up even more and share a private room with a couple of your walking buddies for the best of both worlds. Buen Camino!
Thanks everyone for your response so far! Sort of confirming my thoughts on all sides. I have traveled a lot and have stayed in basically huts with a foam mattress and no plumbing so it is not the level of accommodation as much as my being concerned that I will not sleep with the snoring. My husband is a bad snorer and earplugs don't work that great, so sometimes when it's bad I end up having to sleep somewhere else. I have also traveled with others in those conditions and do know that the camaraderie and the people are what make those journeys memorable. It sounds like I may have to try both and see how it goes and probably mix it up a bit. Perhaps staying in an albergue a night or two and then treating myself to a hotel night every few days or in areas it is particularly busy and more difficult to find an albergue. I was worried if I did not plan ahead for a hotel that would not be an option but sounds like it has not been a problem for anyone in the past to get rooms day to day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks everyone for your response so far! Sort of confirming my thoughts on all sides. I have traveled a lot and have stayed in basically huts with a foam mattress and no plumbing so it is not the level of accommodation as much as my being concerned that I will not sleep with the snoring. My husband is a bad snorer and earplugs don't work that great, so sometimes when it's bad I end up having to sleep somewhere else. I have also traveled with others in those conditions and do know that the camaraderie and the people are what make those journeys memorable. It sounds like I may have to try both and see how it goes and probably mix it up a bit. Perhaps staying in an albergue a night or two and then treating myself to a hotel night every few days or in areas it is particularly busy and more difficult to find an albergue. I was worried if I did not plan ahead for a hotel that would not be an option but sounds like it has not been a problem for anyone in the past to get rooms day to day.

If you have either a smart phone or a device with Wi-Fi connectivity, you can use www.booking.com to locate small hostals, private alburgeues and hotels perhaps a couple of days in advance, once you know your pace, capabilities and the weather "down the road." On my two Camino Frances (C/F) trips (2013, 2014) I used my iPod Touch with the free Wi-Fi found frequently along the C/F. It worked perfectly.

Also, you can also use the Google Translate app to create and save on your device a thread of reusable phrases, e-mail requests, or replies that you can update and change on demand. Thus, even speaking only basic "Camino Spanish" and not being able to phone direct myself, I was able to send an e-mail to request an advance reservation, and reply to what the location sent back to me. Consider though that they may only check their "in box" once daily. So plan accordingly. You can also use this technique to navigate pharmacies, taxis, buses, supermercados, centros de salud (health centers) etc.

Also, make sure to notify someplace you have a reservation by e-mail if your plans have changed and you no longer need the reservation. This is good Camino etiquette and will help another pilgrim. Good manners and consideration are always appreciated.:)

I found that some private albergues had web pages, or at least e-mail addresses where you could reserve in advance. So too did many hostals. In Spain, a hostal is like a one or two star hotel. Many seem to be run by a family. Generally, they are clean, private, safe and affordable. Sometimes breakfast and free Wi-Fi are included. The cost ran from a low of €25 to a high of about €50 for a single. Doubles cost less than twice that, figure on 1.5 times the cost of the single.

In fact, I have seen individual adults "combine" their housing needs to share a double. I hesitate to use the phrase "hook up" as it has a certain connotation. The point here is that you need not be traveling as a formal group or couple to share a room at a lower per capita cost. This said, all housing options along the Camino are highly individual. Whatever works best for you is simply that. It is your Camino.

As a 60+ fellow, I find myself a fungus and bacteria magnet in albergues. I get bronchitis rather easy too. So, rather than have these things detract from my enjoyment, I favor the hostal route whenever possible. Having a door that locks, clean sheets, extra blankets, HEAT, and a private bathroom are luxuries beyond price. Also, being able to either do hand wash and dry it in your room overnight, or give it to the proprietor to have done for €5 - 7 per load was also an appreciated luxury.

I also bring my 600 gm Altus synthetic sleeping bag, just-in-case I end up "roughing it in an albergue. municipal sports hall, police station, church or whatever presents itself in extremis. BTW, these are ALL situations which have NEVER presented themselves in my two April-May Caminos.

FYI, I budgeted €50 per day for all costs, excepting travel to and from the starting and ending points. This seemed to work fine for me. I hit an ATM every 3-4 days for about €200 and never ran out of money. Hence the €50 per day figure.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you have either a smart phone or a device with Wi-Fi connectivity, you can use www.booking.com to locate small hostals, private alburgeues and hotels perhaps a couple of days in advance, once you know your pace, capabilities and the weather "down the road." On my two Camino Frances (C/F) trips (2013, 2014) I used my iPod Touch with the free Wi-Fi found frequently along the C/F. It worked perfectly.

Also, you can also use the Google Translate app to create and save on your device a thread of reusable phrases, e-mail requests, or replies that you can update and change on demand. Thus, even speaking only basic "Camino Spanish" and not being able to phone direct myself, I was able to send an e-mail to request an advance reservation, and reply to what the location sent back to me. Consider though that they may only check their "in box" once daily. So plan accordingly. You can also use this technique to navigate pharmacies, taxis, buses, supermercados, centros de salud (health centers) etc.

Also, make sure to notify someplace you have a reservation by e-mail if your plans have changed and you no longer need the reservation. This is good Camino etiquette and will help another pilgrim. Good manners and consideration are always appreciated.:)

I found that some private albergues had web pages, or at least e-mail addresses where you could reserve in advance. So too did many hostals. In Spain, a hostal is like a one or two star hotel. Many seem to be run by a family. Generally, they are clean, private, safe and affordable. Sometimes breakfast and free Wi-Fi are included. The cost ran from a low of €25 to a high of about €50 for a single. Doubles cost less than twice that, figure on 1.5 times the cost of the single.

In fact, I have seen individual adults "combine" their housing needs to share a double. I hesitate to use the phrase "hook up" as it has a certain connotation. The point here is that you need not be traveling as a formal group or couple to share a room at a lower per capita cost. This said, all housing options along the Camino are highly individual. Whatever works best for you is simply that. It is your Camino.

As a 60+ fellow, I find myself a fungus and bacteria magnet in albergues. I get bronchitis rather easy too. So, rather than have these things detract from my enjoyment, I favor the hostal route whenever possible. Having a door that locks, clean sheets, extra blankets, HEAT, and a private bathroom are luxuries beyond price. Also, being able to either do hand wash and dry it in your room overnight, or give it to the proprietor to have done for €5 - 7 per load was also an appreciated luxury.

I also bring my 600 gm synthetic sleeping bag, just-in-case I end up "roughing it in an albergue. municipal sports hall, police station, church or whatever presents itself in extremis. BTW, these are ALL situations which have NEVER presented themselves in my two April-May Caminos.

FYI, I budgeted €50 per day for all costs, excepting travel to and from the starting and ending points. This seemed to work fine for me. I hit an ATM every 3-4 days for about €200 and never ran out of money. Hence the €50 per day figure.

I hope this helps.

I also bring my 600 gm synthetic sleeping bag, just-in-case I end up "roughing it in an albergue. municipal sports hall, police station, church or whatever presents itself in extremis. BTW, these are ALL situations which have NEVER presented themselves in my two April-May Caminos.

I hope this helps.

WOW! This is invaluable! I got an great little app with Spanish phrases and practice them while I am training, but great plan with the google translate app and sending emails. Seems like using ATM's works pretty well on the Camino? US cards are not a problem? I was in Europe a few years ago and did got money form ATM's in each country., but my husband and I were recently in Europe and had a difficult time getting money at ATM's in Italy. They all wanted a 5 digit pin code which we don't have in US. We were finally able to resolve the problem at a money exchange, they had a different machine but have heard some ATM 's in Europe don't take American cards? Love the idea of booking a few days ahead, that's perfect. Thanks again for the detailed response!

In Spain you need a 4-digit PIN for your debit card. If you have a longer PIN, change it before you get to Spain. Cards with smart chips are on the rise in Europe, and they do work in some Spanish ATMs.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In Spain you need a 4-digit PIN for your debit card. If you have a longer PIN, change it before you get to Spain. Cards with smart chips are on the rise in Europe, and they do work in some Spanish ATMs.
I actually have a 4 digit pin so that should work fine. I think Spain was the one country we did get cash as it was our first stop : )

Love to check in with some Camino veterans. Sorry if this has been addressed in other posts. Doing my Camino(Frances) mid August or so through Sept. Looks like it gets pretty busy around that time. I don't mind living day to day, I understand that is part of the experience and I can roll with that. My concern is.. will it be so busy that I have to leave early or rush to get a room or walk much further than planned to find a bed? I want to relax and enjoy the journey and the people. Do you miss the experience booking some rooms ahead of time or staying in hotels every few days along the way? Do all the hotels, pensions that can be booked ahead , book up ahead of time with people booking tours? Thanks ahead of time for the advice
Z
Book ahead if you can; sitting on the pavement with another 50 pilgrims under the Spanish sun waiting for an albergue to open and wondering if you will get a bed is not a fun experience.

I have never had a problem with a four-digit PIN number on any of my debit or credit cards traveling anywhere in Europe. The critical thing is to inform your bank, credit union, card issuer, etc, at least a week before you travel that you will be traveling foreign. I tell them that from (date of arrival in Europe) to (date of departure from Europe) I will be traveling in France, Spain, etc. You do not need to be more specific than that.

If you fail to alert them in advance, you run the risk of your cards being either declined, or worse "eaten" by a foreign ATM. :( Fraud prevention is serious business these days and the automated verification process is in place to protect YOU.

Further, I recommend adding all countries you will pass through on the list. So, if you fly into Paris and travel by train to St. Jean Pied de Port, to walk to Santiago de Compostela, you would tell them France and Spain. But if your return flight connected in, say London or Frankfurt, I would definitely add the additional country, just in case a flight is interrupted or you decide to engage in some shopping at an airport along the way.

I hope this helps.

€60,-
I don't think we missed anything by staying in private rooms. We still met lots of pilgrims who were staying in Albergues, shared heaps of meals, drank wine with other pilgrims and still had a wonderful time. So much so that we are going back next year and doing the Le Puy route. And you guessed it, staying in private rooms. My advice to you would be to book ahead, we walked in April/May and had trouble getting rooms a few times so we started to book ahead. There are a lot of organized groups doing the Camino and they book the rooms out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I like staying in "certain" well known albergues, like Granon, Samos, etc. for the experience, but I am a serious snorer and know I cause a great deal of stress on my fellow pilgrims in a dormitory environment.
Therefore, I stay in hostels and casa rurales on many nights. Unlike Tom, I don't walk with connectivity, I'm old school in that way. However, I have found there is no reason to fret over forward reservations and language issues. When I arrive at my accommodation for the night I simply ask them to make a reservation for me in a place somewhere 15km to 25km down the track that they would recommend to their own family members. These local hotel operators all know each other, they only live about 15 to 30 minutes away from each other in the real world where they travel by car. Never had a problem, never been steered wrong, it's a great fail safe.
There are however a few places worth reserving ahead, those being Molina Galochas and Muina de Pena, superb rooms and food!!!

I just got back from my Camino which we started mid September 2014. No problem at all with beds just be flexable you might not get the Albergue you want but there are others.
Buen Camino

A perfectly measured answer there from Wanderer64 - at the end of the day, it's about what YOU want.

As a recent example, in Sahagun our friend paid around €25 for a shared room in an Albergue, with no breakfast, no personal space, shared facilities, a 9.00pm curfew and bed-bugs :eek:.

For €35 single / €55 double, we had a room with en suite facilities, clean, comfy beds, air-con, breakfast and no additional wildlife, and could come and go as we pleased. Being on the main square, we also caught up with all our friends, and were able to get away at a civilised time next morning. :cool:

On that basis, it seems a bit of a no-brainer. Unless you want to add unnecessary hardship to your Camino experience!!! :D:D:D
In Sahagun I stayed at the Hostal Alfonso VI for 25 Euros. Wonderful folks, had dinner with pilgrims that night. It is a myth that you missed out on camaraderrie when you stayed in a private room. You sure missed more when walking with barely a couple of hours of quality rest and racing for the next bed.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
WOW! This is invaluable! I got an great little app with Spanish phrases and practice them while I am training, but great plan with the google translate app and sending emails. Seems like using ATM's works pretty well on the Camino? US cards are not a problem? I was in Europe a few years ago and did got money form ATM's in each country., but my husband and I were recently in Europe and had a difficult time getting money at ATM's in Italy. They all wanted a 5 digit pin code which we don't have in US. We were finally able to resolve the problem at a money exchange, they had a different machine but have heard some ATM 's in Europe don't take American cards? Love the idea of booking a few days ahead, that's perfect. Thanks again for the detailed response!
Hi Njoyzlife,
My wife and I traveled to Spain earlier this year. Being a belt and suspenders sort of persons, each of us carried two credit cards with chips (total of four cards). Many European do not recognize the standard American credit card. Before the trip, I requested credit cards with chips, which the issuer readily provided at no cost.

We also carried separate ATM cards. I recommend USAA, as they waive ATM fees. The bank-charged foreign transaction fees will remain, however.

I would also consider contacting AAA to see what it charges for Euros and consider buying some Euros in the US. I would caution that the "experts" think the Euro will fall against the dollar in coming months, if the EU goes through with quantitative easing to kick-start the European economy. The current exchange rate is about $1.27 per Euro. By some experts, that figure is expected to fall to about $1.10 to $1.20 per dollar.

Word to the wise: Municipal and many parrochial pilgrim albergues were designed with the homeless pilgrim in mind. The vaunted "camino experience" kinda grew up around it. The "donativo" places especially are meant to be bare-bones, low-cost dosses for drifters who have very few resources. They were not meant to accommodate middle-class holidaymakers living on the cheap. This is why the low-cost albergues are packed to the rafters by noon with the nattily-dressed pilgrims who rise at 5 a.m. and arrive at 11 to line up, then wander bored and glassy-eyed around town for the rest of the day. The people with no resources sleep on the church porch or in the vineyards, like they did back before the "value for money" and "true camino experience" people co-opted their beds.
There are TONS of opportunities to meet friends and commune with the Camino spirit.
If you can afford it, stay in a hostal or pension or hotel. Leave the low-cost beds for the people who have fewer options.

Rebekah is correct in all that she says, any way, who do you think is in the hostals and casa rurals, only pigrims. The Spanish have loaned their wonderful country to us and the least they deserve is a decent return. We have walked the classic Frances twice and quickly realised that there are places where it is best to get an albergue and there are places to stay in an hotel/hostal. It is all part of the broad experience We have stayed in alburgues, Le Grand Pearl Pamplona, casa rurals and paradores just do it and enjoy it and don't permit anyone to dare to tell you how you should do it. Your pilgrimage should be as individual as you.
Word to the wise: Municipal and many parrochial pilgrim albergues were designed with the homeless pilgrim in mind. The vaunted "camino experience" kinda grew up around it. The "donativo" places especially are meant to be bare-bones, low-cost dosses for drifters who have very few resources. They were not meant to accommodate middle-class holidaymakers living on the cheap. This is why the low-cost albergues are packed to the rafters by noon with the nattily-dressed pilgrims who rise at 5 a.m. and arrive at 11 to line up, then wander bored and glassy-eyed around town for the rest of the day. The people with no resources sleep on the church porch or in the vineyards, like they did back before the "value for money" and "true camino experience" people co-opted their beds.
There are TONS of opportunities to meet friends and commune with the Camino spirit.
If you can afford it, stay in a hostal or pension or hotel. Leave the low-cost beds for the people who have fewer options.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Book ahead, and have your bags transported. Use a tour service to arrange everything. Just finished my second Camino, and if there is a third it will be all things pre-arranged.
It's about walking, not about carrying, worrying and losing sleep.

I found one of the interesting side-effects of the hostal/casa rural approach was that I got to meet many more Spaniards that way (not only the receptionist and waiters!). Several times I fell into conversation with Spanish guests, curious about my motivations and where I came from, and always supportive. I recall (even if fuzzily) those evenings where guests invited me to join them at meals. And I remember stumbling, quite sodden, into a hotel on the del Norte, and a father pointing out to his two children that I was a foreigner and a pilgrim, and urging them to go up to me and shake hands and wish me Buen Camino.

While it is true that I missed out on much of the camaraderie of the albergues which comes from the equality of sharing misery and the profound experience of being out of one's comfort zone, I got sleep (not the snoring, but the stuffiness of many of the rooms) and still made many friends among pilgrims the next day as we walk along. I did one Camino in the albergues and I know the experience. Since then I look for a different one. As an introvert, I prefer the experience of sitting at the edge of a plaza as the stones radiate warmth from the day, the sky turns indigo, and I finish off my orujo, and retiring to my own room (there is also the consideration of a male of a certain age requiring easy access to a bathroom, but I didn't want to mention that).

For most pilgrims, I think a mix of the two is a really good approach, and it leaves more beds for students and the less well-off (many young Spaniards do the Camino as with high unemployment, that is the holiday they can afford). I would hope that prosperous pilgrims using albergues find that they are generous when it comes to the donativo box.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would recommend that if you're going to do the Camino, ditch your phone, email and reservations and walk. Albergues are the main mode of accommodations for me and my wife. Some are not great but many are fine to super. There's no reason to race for beds unless you are dead set at staying at a certain place. I have yet to hear of a pilgrim that couldn't find a bed somewhere. Hospitaleros are generally very accommodating and many, if they don't have a place for you, will help you find a place. This is one of the beauties of the Camino. We talked the other day about how we felt a "disconnect" from the Camino when we did indeed stay somewhere other than an Albergue. Yes, snorers and early risers are not cool but it's only a short period of your life (and it's not every night) and those who endure it, survive just fine. And keep in mind, if you book ahead, you limit yourself OR possibly over extend yourself (injury, fatigue, etc.) should you pre-choose a certain distance to walk each day. Be flexible. Walk, enjoy the scenery and the people. The Camino will provide for your needs.

And keep in mind, if you book ahead, you limit yourself OR possibly over extend yourself
You can readily cancel reservations most places. Do it as far in advance as possible, but even a call at 5 p.m. opens up your accommodation for someone else. Particularly in France, the number-one irritant for hosts is the pilgrim that does not cancel a reservation!

Related to reservations, using a baggage service does lock in a stage. The one time I did it to try to walk a long stage, I ended up chasing the bag in a cab. It seems I have a distance maximum, with or without a backpack!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We use private accomodation for many of the reasons already given. Our last 2 Caminos we have booked the next night on arrival at our day's destination. Sometimes through booking.com but mostly by phone and often taking the recommendation of our hosts. Next Camino we are planning on booking much beforehand, partly for peace of mind and partly because there are less internet cafes now and we do not carry a wi-fi type phone. Booking our anticipated week-end stops still will leave some flexibility to book a day ahead as before. We enjoy meeting the locals and still can interact with our fellow pilgrims without having to sleep in albergues. It also keeps the pack weight down as we will not have to carry sleeping bags or liners. We will take a travel towel each, for rolling our damp washing in to help dry it. Our camino - our choice of method to make sure we reach Santiago. :):)

Maybe it's been said already, but many private albergues do take reservations, so it's not always an either/or scenario. You often can have the albergue experience and have piece of mind that you'll have a bed. That said, I didn't travel with a smartphone and only occasionally made reservations with friends who did have an iphone. Often, I was one of those worried people standing in line far too early in the day. Since that first Frances, I've walked much lonelier routes and enjoyed arriving at 7 pm or later after a long day of walking and napping and sometimes swimming. I'd really like to take that same approach to the Frances. So, I'm wondering if others have had Ed and Joan's experience and found that they could always find a bed, or were they just lucky? Does the camino provide--like in an everything works out fine without greatly inconveniencing others due to my lack of planning kind of way?

I would recommend that if you're going to do the Camino, ditch your phone, email and reservations and walk. Albergues are the main mode of accommodations for me and my wife. Some are not great but many are fine to super. There's no reason to race for beds unless you are dead set at staying at a certain place. I have yet to hear of a pilgrim that couldn't find a bed somewhere. Hospitaleros are generally very accommodating and many, if they don't have a place for you, will help you find a place. This is one of the beauties of the Camino. We talked the other day about how we felt a "disconnect" from the Camino when we did indeed stay somewhere other than an Albergue. Yes, snorers and early risers are not cool but it's only a short period of your life (and it's not every night) and those who endure it, survive just fine. And keep in mind, if you book ahead, you limit yourself OR possibly over extend yourself (injury, fatigue, etc.) should you pre-choose a certain distance to walk each day. Be flexible. Walk, enjoy the scenery and the people. The Camino will provide for your needs.

We used private rooms in private albergues and used a simple non-Smartphone to book ahead. That was good as we had the privacy but also the interaction with fellow pilgrims. At present we are looking at next year and although we plan to book much of the route it is quite honestly a hassle. We have decided to book weekends and where we want to spend more than one night, plus most of our time on the Camino Inglés. This latter is easier as we know where we need to stop, the earlier parts along the north coast need more flexibilty. Albergues are not an option along the route we plan as they follow the Norte not the coast west of Ribadeo so it is hostales/pensiones or hotels and the reason for booking week-ends.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Question about private rooms in private albergues ... I am assuming you still need sleeping bags and share bathroom facilities?

Question about private rooms in private albergues ... I am assuming you still need sleeping bags and share bathroom facilities?
It might vary but we had private rooms (beds) with at least a shower and toilet. There were blankets but we still had our towels and sleeping bags for extra warmth, it was April/May. The private albergue section (with bunks) had its own facilities - shared. On the Primitivo one had 4 4-bed rooms (double bunks), colour coded and with a colour coded bathroom across the corridor, another had some private rooms with a bunk room upstairs with shared facilities, but our room had its own bathroom. So the only way is to check out each place I think.

Y'know.....if you are one of the first twenty-five in the queue for a fifty-bed albergue, you are not concerned;-) In fact, if you're person number 49, you're probably still happy! If you have walked far enough and you are happy to sit outside an albergue for a couple of hours (maybe writing in your journal, doing a sketch or watercolour painting) before you take a shower and then spend the afternoon exploring the little hamlet you're in, you might just find you enjoy that rhythm. I know we did! When we were walking as a group of eleven and the youngest was only six, we didn't put in more than 20-ish km in a day and we had often arrived well before opening time. But we have some fond memories of sitting outside an albergue consuming a hunk of bread and cheese or sharing out a large empanada. You might even wish you hadn't walked on coz we'd have given you a piece;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It might vary but we had private rooms (beds) with at least a shower and toilet. There were blankets but we still had our towels and sleeping bags for extra warmth, it was April/May. The private albergue section (with bunks) had its own facilities - shared. On the Primitivo one had 4 4-bed rooms (double bunks), colour coded and with a colour coded bathroom across the corridor, another had some private rooms with a bunk room upstairs with shared facilities, but our room had its own bathroom. So the only way is to check out each place I think.

Thanks, that's really helpful! My husband say no dormitory/shared baths, but I'd like to have at least a night or two of the albergue experience, so it sounds like with enough asking around here and on the camino itself we may be able to come up with something.

I like staying in "certain" well known albergues, like Granon, Samos, etc. for the experience, but I am a serious snorer and know I cause a great deal of stress on my fellow pilgrims in a dormitory environment.
Therefore, I stay in hostels and casa rurales on many nights. Unlike Tom, I don't walk with connectivity, I'm old school in that way. However, I have found there is no reason to fret over forward reservations and language issues. When I arrive at my accommodation for the night I simply ask them to make a reservation for me in a place somewhere 15km to 25km down the track that they would recommend to their own family members. These local hotel operators all know each other, they only live about 15 to 30 minutes away from each other in the real world where they travel by car. Never had a problem, never been steered wrong, it's a great fail safe.
There are however a few places worth reserving ahead, those being Molina Galochas and Muina de Pena, superb rooms and food!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What is the location of the Molina Galochas and Muina de Pera?
Ths
We start our walk on Sept 22

Linda,

The Molina Galochas is in Villavante which is located east of Hospital de Orbigo via the alternate camino route out of Virgen del Camino. Here is the Molina website.

Muina de Pera is in O Pino which is located just east of Santiago. Here is their web.

Buen Camino!
MM

Last edited:

Indeed that is what I did this time, albeit on the lesser crowded , Camino Portugues. My income makes me indeed middle-class although not seeing myself as a holidaymaker living on the cheap. From the 13 nights on the CP half were albergues, half private lodgings ( most of those with a pilgrim I had got a good connection with and I met her the second day ). And I only stayed once in a municipal albergue , the rest were private and smaller ones. By now I know the max distance I can handle so I called in advance for a booking in these private albergues.
I remember that the muni at O Porrino only opened at three and I was already there at one. So just walked into town and went into the first pension and they still had a room free.
Both of us still had more than enough time and possibilities to engage with other pilgrims during a coffeestop or in the evenings at dinner.
My spendings were 40 € average per day, all included.
Then again I know we in Europe are lucky because getting to Spain / Portugal is rather cheap. My two flights combined with checking in of my pack only set me back for 120 €;

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back