• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues where Hospitality Reigns Supreme

koilife

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF '13; CF/Salvador/Ingles '16; Portugues '22
I'm starting this in response to a prior thread (So What Makes a Good Albergue) on what matters most to pilgrims in an albergue. Aside from obvious facility issues, such as cleanliness and hot showers, a major theme emerged --- hospitality. Many even said that hospitality made up for the worst of defects in the albergue facilities.

This thread may be somewhat repetitious of What is the One Albergue You Would Say Not to Miss and other similar threads. However, many posts in those threads identify a town but not the actual albergue (now there may be three albergues whereas three years ago there was only one). Many other posts make vague references to hospitality but with little or no explanation.

I propose the following format:
For instance,
"Refuge Orisson" in Orisson
There is a communal dinner where all the pilgrims introduce themselves and why they are walking the Camino.​
or
"Albergue Hospital de San Nicholas" near Itero del Castillo
Communal meal cooked by Italian hospitaleros. Pilgrim blessing includes washing of pilgrims feet.​

As a side note regarding hospitality, I would differentiate between:
  • "Random acts of kindness" can occur anywhere on the Camino where a given hospitalero goes the extra mile to meet a pilgrim's needs, or community spontaneously occurs. I recommend not to include these, because they are likely to come and go and are not inherent to the albergue itself.
  • "Institutional acts of kindness" on the other hand occur with regularity because a spirit of hospitality is built directly into the regular life of the albergue. Maybe it is an activity (communal meal, water and tea for arriving pilgrims, night prayers with pilgrim's blessing), or perhaps it is a long-term high standard of overall care and concern exhibited by small albergue owners or by certain confraternities. These are the kinds albergues that I'd like to see identified in this thread.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Granon
Albergue Parochial San Juan Bautista

This albergue, in the tower of the church of San Juan Bautista, is VERY special.
Open all day its sign reads “Welcome pilgrim make this your home”.
The handsome common room has a fireplace and comfortable furnishing.
Above on a continuous platform are mats for pilgrims' sleeping bags.
Kitchen and toilets are new and well equipped. One can really relax.
Everything is done to make each pilgrim feel at home. Hospitaleros are
always warm and helpful while the communal meals are most pleasant.
This is authentic caritas. Long may it last. Each time I am here I want to stay forever!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sounds like you may have some in mind!
I actually don't. I'm looking for the kind of albergue where hospitality is engineered into their DNA. Many of the albergues where I stayed on my first camino tended to be larger and without any notable hospitality. The hospitality that was there tended to be primarily at the individual level of the hospitalero. For instance, the hospitalera at San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo was incredibly welcoming, but my sense of it was that this was a personal trait that she brought, and not something inherent to San Miguel. Now, having said that, I would stay at San Miguel again in a heartbeat because I liked the albergue as a whole (the art of the pilgrims on was wonderful and overall ambiance was exceptional).

What I'm looking for here is where hospitality as a whole is a central aspect of the albergue. Monte Irago in Foncebaddon, if it is the one I am thinking of, would be an example. My son and I stayed at a different albergue there (sadly disappointing "self-service" albergue on multiple fronts), and I would have stayed at Monte Irago instead had I realized the level hospitality there.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Albergue Santa Maria in Carrion de los Condes, watched over by the Augustinian Sisters of the Conversion. It is a deeply Christian place, but everyone is made welcome. Communal dinners are encouraged with the first course provided "on the house," and pilgrims given the run of the kitchen. Everyone can come to a musical "encuentro" late afternoon, with songs, blessings, prayers all optional, but always well-received. The building has plumbing and electrical issues, but it is always very clean, and (almost!) always opens right at the stroke of noon. Cost is 5 Euro, but no one is turned away because they have no money.
(in interest of full disclosure: I am friendly with the sisters and sometimes help out there.)

I have served with the Sisters at Santa Maria and can attest to Reb's post above. Our local Seattle camino group along with the American Pilgrims and others have come up with funding to provide a badly needed new commercial style dryer for wet pilgrim clothes. Also plumbing and electrical upgrades and new showers. Hopefully, the work is underway or completed by now.
A really bright welcoming spot in the middle of the Camino Frances.

Continuing towards Astorga on the inland path after Santibanez de Valdeiglesias and before the Cruz de Santo Toribo is remote place of perfection, the Casa de los Dioses. Here on a vast plain with sweeping vistas west toward the last camino peaks a man named David Vidal has set up a simple pilgrim oasis. Sheltered by a vast adobe barn partly covered with vibrant graffiti David offers a welcome seat and coffee, tea, juices, fruits and cookies to all who pass. All that he so willingly provides he has carried from the nearest village for there is neither water nor garden here. However what is most plentiful at David's is a special spirit and unconditional, selfless love.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
remote place of perfection, the Casa de los Dioses
But not an albergue if you are looking for a place to sleep. I met some pilgrims who had rolled out a sleeping bag there, but admitted that the absence of water and a latrine was a negative. It is an excellent break before heading into Astorga.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Bercianos-del-Real-Camino

I stayed there in October 2012. There were 3 hospitaleras and and I real felt like a small child coming back home!
They were taking time to welcome every pilgrim, offering tea and sirup and small cookies.

The meal was a fantastic soup, incremented with all things every pilgrim had given.

And in the morning, all pilgrims got a warm "Buen camino" hug to start...

I don't know if this is the spirit of the albergue or if it was the hospitaleras, but it will stay in my heart!

I have fond memories of three albergues, all as the result of hospitality. The first was already mentioned, San Juan Bautista in Grañon. The hospitaleras were from Italy and they were very helpful and accommodating. The dinning/sitting room had a piano and other musical instruments available for use. Musically talented pilgrims entertained us while we prepared the food, and again after the meal. The second is Bercianos, operated by the American Friends of the Camino. Sharing in the cooking, watching the sunset, and participating in the "allegria" following the meal created a special memory. The third, is Amigos del Perigrino in Mansilla. The patio was a haven to us pilgrims. The hospitalera assisted with foot problems, kindly passed out cards with sayings as mementos, and lead everyone in song. We used the gas paella grill to cook a communal dinner—what fun!

I have fond memories of many other albergues and hospitaleros, but these are my favorite three.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigos is a top three for me so far. Outstanding hospitality, good facilities, excellent vegetarian dinner that pleased this carnivore. Peaceable,and good follow-up to León after walking the 31k to get here.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.